Buyer wants to pick up - eBay

2»

Comments

• SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I don't mind buyers picking up items from my house, it saves me having to wrap things up and take them to the Post Office. I don't end listings early though because I want to see how much they finally go for.
    Whitey_GRN wrote: »
    I once drove 25 miles (50 miles round trip) with a large item after they had paid for the courier charge, as I wanted to make sure they got the item safely.
    They later moaned about the P&P as I had not used the courier service and should have been free!!! (The courier service including packing was a tenner)
    Cheeky buggers. Did they think your petrol was free?
    NRG wrote: »
    It works for me and I'm just a humble private seller who sells on occasions. I'm not out to shaft the buyer, if I can help a buyer in any little way I can, I feel good about that. I bought 100 plastic delivery bags for under a fiver on ebay the other month, how could I possibly charge a couple of quid for 1 bag and add that on. And regards wasting fuel getting to the PO, well I'm personally out and about every day and must drive past a dozen or more Post Offices along the way, hardly going to charge for walking in and waiting 5 mins.

I see some extortionate postage charges on auctions and walk away. I fully understand if you don't like postage terms and conditions then don't bid, and that's exactly what I do, but it's fair to say some sellers rip the ass out of postage costs. They can keep their item as far as I'm concerned.
    I try to estimate the postage cost from Royal Mail's website and by looking at what other sellers are charging for similar items and then charge that for postage. I generally reuse postage bags that I've received items in, I couldn't charge buyers for those.
    It does annoy me though when buyers leave negative or neutral feedback solely because of postage charges - they knew what they were paying before they bid.

I bought an item a few months ago, the postage was £1.20 less than what I'd paid. I would never have noticed, but the lady refunded it to me and apologised. I've never known that happen before - needless to say, she got glowing feedback from me.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we were after a used xbox, and made a point of asking whether we could collect. still paid on paypal, but collected, no problem.

everybody used to sell via newspaper small ads, and people would always have to collect so whats the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I have a listing on eBay and it is an auction.

A buyer wants to just by it now with cash and pick up outside of eBay to save on fees and postage etc - which would mean I would be getting about as much as i would hope.

Is this safe?
    I think you should let the auction run its course. I've had a winner of an auction then want to pick up the item and I said fine. I made sure they came at a time when my son was in too just to be sure. It was all fine. But he had won the auction, I wouldn't withdraw the auction for a private sale.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    we were after a used xbox, and made a point of asking whether we could collect. still paid on paypal, but collected, no problem.

everybody used to sell via newspaper small ads, and people would always have to collect so whats the problem.

The person who accepted paypal from you then let you collect is a bit naive to say the least. They keep doing that it will end in tears.