Britain's Brightest

Comments

• BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Did i remember correctly that a forum member said they were going to be on last nights episode?

Im am i confusing someone who said they were appearing on a quiz show with someone whp said they were in the audience of this show?

David, who was on the show last night, but got knocked in the latter round, is a poster on DS :)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David, who was on the show last night, but got knocked in the latter round, is a poster on DS :)

Is he David from the Chase thread BG?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he David from the Chase thread BG?

Unfortunately not snail
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Tt88;63544624

Edit it appears david was the forum member, but being the brave person i am i am going to post my comment anyway and hope it doesnt come across as offensive if david is the person im talking about! Apologies if it is! :D

The highlight for me personally was the spelling round. As soon as that man told the story about correcting the spelling of a word in a shop i was willing him to lose that round. Not anything personal but when you go on tv and point out how good at spelling you are and how bad other people are, it is a little bit funny when you do get it wrong.

[/QUOTE]

That was David :D
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately not snail

ok...I thought I had missed a chance to have a look at a real life poster!
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did i remember correctly that a forum member said they were going to be on last nights episode?

Im am i confusing someone who said they were appearing on a quiz show with someone whp said they were in the audience of this show?

Edit it appears david was the forum member, but being the brave person i am i am going to post my comment anyway and hope it doesnt come across as offensive if david is the person im talking about! Apologies if it is! :D

The highlight for me personally was the spelling round. As soon as that man told the story about correcting the spelling of a word in a shop i was willing him to lose that round. Not anything personal but when you go on tv and point out how good at spelling you are and how bad other people are, it is a little bit funny when you do get it wrong.

I was the same with lynne, as soon as she compared herself to einstein but smarter and kept going on about how clever she was, a part of me was hoping for her to slip up.

I have no problem with clever people, its just when you announce to everyone how good you are it is a teeny bit amusing when it all goes pear shaped!
    yep...was great - especially because he didn't even have the grace to admit he got them wrong, it was always 'i must have misread that' or similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Last night they had some what comes next in this series questions-here is one for you-what comes next in this series WW TH TH MU ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night they had some what comes next in this series questions-here is one for you-what comes next in this series WW TH TH MU ?

MU?

(I'm not very good at these games :o)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    It was WHU-West Ham United,they won the FA Cup in 1964,Wolverhampton Wanderers won in 1960,Tottenham Hotspurs in 1961 and 1962,and Manchester United in 1963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was WHU-West Ham United,they won the FA Cup in 1964,Wolverhampton Wanderers won in 1960,Tottenham Hotspurs in 1961 and 1962,and Manchester United in 1963

Oh bloody hell! I would never have got that!!!
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    ... Edit it appears david was the forum member, but being the brave person i am i am going to post my comment anyway and hope it doesnt come across as offensive if david is the person im talking about! Apologies if it is!

Yes, that was me - guilty as charged.

The only excuses I can make, are the pressure of the clock (5 secs to get it right) and the fact that the contestants don't see the green words floating in the air, what we were looking at was a small screen with a matchstick man whose arms move when you move, surrounded by bubbles containing the words.

Anyway, losing the spelling round by 4pts to 2 wasn't disastrous, my biggest mistake was getting the first question wrong in the trampolining round, now I've seen it back I can't believe I put 2 when it was so obviously 1.

If I hadn't done that, I'd have come joint first with Clare and Lynn, and would have made it through to Stop The Clock, where I'm sure I could have done better than the winning score of minus one. I'm still seething about that. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »

The only excuses I can make, are the pressure of the clock (5 secs to get it right) and the fact that the contestants don't see the green words floating in the air, what we were looking at was a small screen with a matchstick man whose arms move when you move, surrounded by bubbles containing the words.

Anyway, losing the spelling round by 4pts to 2 wasn't disastrous, my biggest mistake was getting the first question wrong in the trampolining round, now I've seen it back I can't believe I put 2 when it was so obviously 1.

If I hadn't done that, I'd have come joint first with Clare and Lynn, and would have made it through to Stop The Clock, where I'm sure I could have done better than the winning score of minus one. I'm still seething about that. :(

Just to be clear, I actually didnt write that quote that you quoted me on (if that makes sense) ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I started to watch it on iPlayer and I just find myself getting increasingly annoyed at it...

The spelling bee was ill explained unless of course they were fully made aware of the time constraints before the show. I certainly didn't know of any time constraint until it happened. Then the whole punching the air just seemed unnecessarily difficult.

The sequence round was again stupidly thought out. When the bloke was asked to guess the next letter in the sequence, no-one would have gotten that it represented a measurement, and because Claire blabbed about what it showed, it meant the woman had an easier run in the next round - she knew that the sequence would represent a series of words.

Britain's brightest certainly didn't think any of these challenges up...
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,645
    Forum Member
    bargepole wrote: »

No excuses needed, you should be extremely proud of getting as far as you did. Although you got off to a shaky start on the trampoline round you soon recovered and that was tough.

Well done for achieving what you did, hold your head very high.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonster wrote: »
    The sequence round was again stupidly thought out. When the bloke was asked to guess the next letter in the sequence, no-one would have gotten that it represented a measurement, and because Claire blabbed about what it showed, it meant the woman had an easier run in the next round - she knew that the sequence would represent a series of words.
    I thought exactly the same as this - they gave the woman the advantage by telling her that it was no longer a sequence based on the number of gaps betwen letters, but now represented something specific.

Having said that, I find the show quite entertaining because you can join in at home for most questions and it makes a change from just a general knowledge quiz. It is better watching it with a few other people as you can get a bit competitive.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Jonster wrote: »
    I started to watch it on iPlayer and I just find myself getting increasingly annoyed at it...

The spelling bee was ill explained unless of course they were fully made aware of the time constraints before the show. I certainly didn't know of any time constraint until it happened. Then the whole punching the air just seemed unnecessarily difficult.

Britain's brightest certainly didn't think any of these challenges up...

We thought exactly the same, unfair advantage. If it had been the other way round it would have been as bad. As soon as i see r o y g, i immediately think of the rainbow so i would have guessed that if that question had been before the mans question.

Is there any reason why the time limit changed in the four letter time guessing game? Im sure it was longer last week.
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    ... Is there any reason why the time limit changed in the four letter time guessing game? Im sure it was longer last week.
    First week it was 27 seconds, with 2 points per word. Second show was 19 seconds and 3 points per word.

I don't know why they changed it, just a bit of variety I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all,

Thought I'd bump the thread for tonight's show.

Wont be able to see it all the way through but can stay for the first half hour or so :)

(not really sure why you all need to know that tbh :o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the way they have random "celebs" in the guessing game :)
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are pretty good at this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    They are pretty good at this one.

They are!

I thought I was the only watching this for a moment!
  • BoeyBoey Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Love this show!!

Also loved Abigail who was just on!!!:D
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are!

I thought I was the only watching this for a moment!

Hi BG, I just turned over in a panic as had forgotten what time this starts,.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zahra was very good at that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Hi BG, I just turned over in a panic as had forgotten what time this starts,.:o

No worries, you're here now....

Just noticed you're in Slough...thats just up the road from me :)