The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Corrie scheduling tomorrow is ridiculous, and given they're happy to push News at Ten back for any old rubbish - Superstar, a Royal Variety clip show - I don't know why they didn't just run the Awards at 8-10.30 tomorrow and then they can keep Emmerdale and Corrie in their usual slots. All they're doing here is maybe giving 'stEnders a slight knock, but damaging Emmerdale and Corrie in the process. And any bonus Emmerdale running up to 8pm gets will be completely wasted by the fact it's followed by a repeat of Millionaire from six weeks ago.
    Very true, or they could have moved Corrie to Thursday 8.30pm or they actually had a genuine excuse to air it at 8pm on Sunday against the Call the Midwife premiere.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Corrie and Lewis, the pensioners' choice on the pensioners' channel. :)

In time, it's likely Corrie will get axed before EastEnders

EE has youth on its side, Corrie's audience are dying off.

Interesting that, while EE had its best share among the 16-24s (47.1%), its highest TVR was in the over-65s (a 19.5 - nearly a fifth of all pensioners wherever they were - 2.0 million). I guess this is just because the aged watch the most TV.

The 19:30 Corrie, meanwhile, had a share of 43.9% in the oldest age group, and a bumper TVR of 30.45! (3.1 million)

EDIT: I've just figured out the 16-34 skews, shares and TVRs, just for fun, and added the gender and ABC1 skews:

Eastenders
    16-34 skew: 24%
    16-34 share: 44.8%
    16-34 TVR: 15.7
    Female aged 4+ skew: 65%
    ABC1 aged 4+ skew: 40.8%

Coronation Street
    16-34 skew: 16%
    16-34 share: 36.7%
    16-34 TVR: 11.0
    Female aged 4+ skew: 65%
    ABC1 aged 4+ skew: 38.4%

Not much between them in the up-/downmarket or gender stakes, but a big difference in the young demo.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    excel99 wrote: »
    To answer my own Body of Proof question, the announcer at the end said it's back in the Summer. Not the best scheduling though. On for 9 weeks, off for Christmas, back for 3 weeks and now off for a few months. Surely C5 would have been better having CBB at 9pm on Tuesdays, rather than bringing BoP back for just 3 episodes? Those 3 epsiodes could then have aired in the Summer with the rest
    The summer? :eek: All they had to do was push it back to 10pm. Or even run Dallas at 8pm or 10pm as I'm not convinced that will rate any better than Body of Proof anyway. I dunno what they are playing at with all these midseason breaks now, it's becoming absolutely ridiculous. I know they are procedurals so they perhaps think they can get away with it for this reason, but they are pulling them before they've even had a chance to settle into their slots. Where's the logic in that? :rolleyes:

Oh for the days when it was just CSI: Vegas followed by CSI: Miami followed by CSI: Vegas repeats on Tuesdays and that was the whole year mapped out. Oh so simple. And one of their strongest slots across the year due to that consistency. Now it appears to be a slot that stuff gets slung in and out of at the drop of a hat, with no rhyme or reason behind it. :mad:

That said, Body of Proof was unlucky to come up against Death in Paradise. But then you've just got to get on with it when those kind of unfortunate clashes occur. Have faith in the show you're putting out and maybe draw more attention than usual to the other ways of watching, i.e. +1, Demand 5, etc. This chopping and changing as and when they feel like it cannot be the answer. It's a strategy that will ultimately prove damaging.
    NeilVW wrote: »
    It is indeed. 423k on +1 for CBB is the best-ever Channel 5 +1 audience for any programme in the overnights, and that episode's +1 will have the highest-ever consolidated figure too as the record-holder for that is currently the first Monday of CBB11 with 385k.

It's more of a Channel 4/ITV kind of +1 figure! I've noticed that +1s across the board seem to have picked up on Channel 5. It's certainly established itself now after just over a year.
    Thanks for the info. I thought it was. C5+1 has recently been added to cable and it's certainly making a difference to the figures.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie, about two thirds of people who watch Coronation St aren't pensioners, although the show does seem to trend strongest with the over 45s. Yet it would be wrong to say these are necessarily the poorest and least attractive viewers to ITV, as CS makes an absolute fortune for ITV in advertising revenue on weight of numbers and most people in this age group will be better off than a 20 year old student.
    I will admit the soap isn't such a big attraction in the South or to ABC1s, but this has always been the case and CS is ITV to most people and probably makes more than even the Cowell shows.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    That said, Body of Proof was unlucky to come up against Death in Paradise. But then you've just got to get on with it when those kind of unfortunate clashes occur. Have faith in the show you're putting out and maybe draw more attention than usual to the other ways of watching, i.e. +1, Demand 5, etc. This chopping and changing as and when they feel like it cannot be the answer. It's a strategy that will ultimately prove damaging.
    As I said before I wonder if part of their strategy is just to wait and see what happens with the show in the US. It wasn't in the greatest of health by the end of its second season and has undergone a revamp whilst its been off air. Its all well and good to say that you need to have faith in these shows and let them build but there's very little point in letting Body of Proof build in this, or any other slot, if ABC are going to cancel it. The third season starts mid-February in the US. By the end of February/start of March everyone should have a much clearer idea of where they stand with Body of Proof.

At this point surely Five's best way forward is to focus on shows like Person of Interest and The Mentalist where they can be reasonably confident (if not 100% positive) that more seasons will follow?
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie and Lewis, the pensioners' choice on the pensioners' channel. :)

In time, it's likely Corrie will get axed before EastEnders

EE has youth on its side, Corrie's audience are dying off.

Neighbours would probably go first before CS and EE, unless they did a big revamp of the soap, axing a few characters (like the Kapoors, Kennedys, Aidan, and Kate Ramsay) and bringing in new families (Carmel gets a family with Maggie Kirkpatrick as a cast members, in a TV crossover Jack Pearson and his family move from the NE into the Kennedys old home, and the Scully's return with Shane Connor, Holly Valance,Julieanne Newbould and Cheryl Cole) as Joe's new wife and daughter Michelle, Sheila Canning gets her role expanded as does Angie Rebecchi and making the storylines action-packed the Jill Farren Phelps way and putting the Pearsons (Pauline, Jack, and Joe would be on recurring contract with Fremantle so they can go off for theatre/TV work/stand-up) and Scullys (with Michelle on recurring contract due to her mime career) at the centre of storylines.
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    As I said before I wonder if part of their strategy is just to wait and see what happens with the show in the US. It wasn't in the greatest of health by the end of its second season and has undergone a revamp whilst its been off air. Its all well and good to say that you need to have faith in these shows and let them build but there's very little point in letting Body of Proof build in this, or any other slot, if ABC are going to cancel it. The third season starts mid-February in the US. By the end of February/start of March everyone should have a much clearer idea of where they stand with Body of Proof.

At this point surely Five's best way forward is to focus on shows like Person of Interest and The Mentalist where they can be reasonably confident (if not 100% positive) that more seasons will follow?
    Maybe, but it's following in the UK deserves more respect. After all, it's not a show that is unpopular in the UK. It goes first to Alibi, they get a good run out of it, then it comes to C5, they're getting a good run out of it (very good for season 1), and 5USA is getting a whole load of use out of it.

I know this only came about because Person of Interest wasn't seen to best effect on Tuesdays and so they needed something to cover the gap, but now they've ended up pissing off two sets of viewers and are no closer to progress in that slot. If the precarious situation the show finds itself in in the US was likely to become an issue, they should never have given it such a prominent timeslot in the first place.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The summer? :eek: All they had to do was push it back to 10pm. Or even run Dallas at 8pm or 10pm as I'm not convinced that will rate any better than Body of Proof anyway. I dunno what they are playing at with all these midseason breaks now, it's becoming absolutely ridiculous. I know they are procedurals so they perhaps think they can get away with it for this reason, but they are pulling them before they've even had a chance to settle into their slots. Where's the logic in that? :rolleyes:
    It does seem rather foolish considering C5 have a strong slate of US shows and the slots to show them in. IMO it's quite easy to schedule around Big Brother - if you're fast tracking you air one block in the autumn then one in the Spring, both blocks of which shouldn't be affected. In other slots they can either follow that strategy, slotting another series in with a Jan-Mar/Jun-Sept run (not quite so fast tracked) or stick with the more traditional split of running one series in the first half of the year and another in the second half.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie's gonna get a huge +1 figure tomorrow.

Can see it boosting the NTAs with some time shifting both on +1 if viewers don't know Corrie's on early and miss it. They'll just wait til 8pm and watch everything on +1.

Or some will end up catching Corrie from 8-8.30pm on ITV+1 then switching to ITV for the last hour and a half of the live showing of the NTAs.

The breakdown for the NTAs should thus be interesting, it could grow through the broadcast, namely spike around 8.30pm and stay higher, pushing up the average a bit.

What are people's predictions for both Corrie at 7pm tomorrow (given the major cliffhanger at the end of Monday's) and the NTAs?
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    Neighbours would probably go first before CS and EE, unless they did a big revamp of the soap, axing a few characters (like the Kapoors, Kennedys, Aidan, and Kate Ramsay) and bringing in new families (Carmel gets a family with Maggie Kirkpatrick as a cast members, in a TV crossover Jack Pearson and his family move from the NE into the Kennedys old home, and the Scully's return with Shane Connor, Holly Valance,Julieanne Newbould and Cheryl Cole) as Joe's new wife and daughter Michelle, Sheila Canning gets her role expanded as does Angie Rebecchi and making the storylines action-packed the Jill Farren Phelps way and putting the Pearsons (Pauline, Jack, and Joe would be on recurring contract with Fremantle so they can go off for theatre/TV work/stand-up) and Scullys (with Michelle on recurring contract due to her mime career) at the centre of storylines.

You should never go near a soap ever. Awful ideas
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. I thought it was. C5+1 has recently been added to cable and it's certainly making a difference to the figures.

No problem. Yes, I now remember you saying before that it's recently gone on to cable, which definitely helps. I was surprised looking at the BARB website that the number of cable homes is now at a record 4.03 million, so that's probably close to 10 million extra people who don't have to fiddle around with Freeview to find Channel 5 +1.

Cable connections stalled and in fact fell quite a bit in the mid-Noughties, as shown on that webpage. The subscriptions have been building nicely throughout the downturn, so it seems Virgin are doing something right. Satellite's actually fallen very slightly in the last 12 months, but whether that's Sky, Freesat or both I don't know.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Coro St. starting at 9.30pm in a couple weeks, potential there for its worst ever rating?
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Coro St. starting at 9.30pm in a couple weeks, potential there for its worst ever rating?

It follows an international friendly between England and Brazil. That's an interesting one to predict, ratings-wise. Brazil are a draw, but friendlies generally haven't been lately.

And to address your question, I doubt it will be that bad, but Corrie will be up against the second half of the final Africa, tougher competition than it normally gets.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    It follows an international friendly between England and Brazil. That's an interesting one to predict, ratings-wise. Brazil are a draw, but friendlies generally haven't been lately.

And to address your question, I doubt it will be that bad, but Corrie will be up against the second half of the final Africa, tougher competition than it normally gets.
    Why has Itv opted for a 7.30pm kickoff instead of the usual 8pm? Normally for friendlies the home broadcaster has a big influence in choosing the kick off time. Why the earlier kick off? :confused:
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Corrie last went over 10m (exc +1) in the overnights on Monday 19 March 2012, at 20:30, with 10.62m (42.3%). This was the reveal of Frank's murderer . It consolidated to a little over 11m (exc +1).

EastEnders last achieved eight figures on Monday 2 January 2012, when Pat died (10.27m/36.6%). It also consolidated to over 11m.

The funny thing is, that 2nd Jan episode was actually the aftermath of her death rather than the 'main event' as it were. So EE's last 10 million plus rating was, from a certain point of view, oddly for a 'normal' episode.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, but it's following in the UK deserves more respect. After all, it's not a show that is unpopular in the UK. It goes first to Alibi, they get a good run out of it, then it comes to C5, they're getting a good run out of it (very good for season 1), and 5USA is getting a whole load of use out of it.

I know this only came about because Person of Interest wasn't seen to best effect on Tuesdays and so they needed something to cover the gap, but now they've ended up pissing off two sets of viewers and are no closer to progress in that slot. If the precarious situation the show finds itself in in the US was likely to become an issue, they should never have given it such a prominent timeslot in the first place.

I think Body of Proof should move to 5USA for its remaining episodes as C5 are hurting it with its irrational schedule, I don't think Dallas should return so soon, it wasn't exactly rating that well and I think they could of held it back until the summer.

I think with CSI: Miami gone and CSI: NY possibly going, C5 could schedule Body of Proof on Saturdays and have CSI on Tuesdays from February to June followed by Person of Interest from June to December, NCIS remaining on Wednesday with Dallas from June/July to September/October.
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Why has Itv opted for a 7.30pm kickoff instead of the usual 8pm? Normally for friendlies the home broadcaster has a big influence in choosing the kick off time. Why the earlier kick off? :confused:

It was apparently changed from 8pm to 7.30pm shortly before Christmas. Twitterers questioned the decision and didn't know the reason. One was happy that he could get to bed early for work the next day; another bemoaned the fact that he wouldn't be able to get to the game on time from Derby.

Previous friendlies' overnights on ITV (whole-programme averages, exc +1)

Wed 09/02/11, 19:00 - Denmark v England: 5,62m/23.1%
    Sun 27/03/11, 13:30 - Scotland v Brazil: 1.85m/17.9%
    * 'ITV Scotland': 481k/45.9%
    Tue 29/03/11, 19:30 - England v Ghana: 5.15m/21.3%
    Sat 12/11/11, 16:45 - England v Spain: 5.25m/25.65%
    Tue 15/11/11, 19:30 - England v Sweden: 4.92m/20.6%
    Wed 29/02/12, 19:30 - England v Netherlands: 5.58m/23.8%
    Sat 26/05/12, 19:00 - Norway v England: 3.99m/20.1%
    Sat 02/06/12, 16:30 - England v Belgium: 4.07m/25.7%
    Wed 15/08/12, 19:30 - Italy v England (at Berne): 3.47m/15.7%
    Wed 14/11/12, 19:15 - Sweden v England: 4.23m/19.1%
    big dan wrote:
    The funny thing is, that 2nd Jan episode was actually the aftermath of her death rather than the 'main event' as it were. So EE's last 10 million plus rating was, from a certain point of view, oddly for a 'normal' episode.

It may be because BBC One made something of an event out of it on the 2nd Jan: they had the Farewell Pat tribute on straight afterwards which got a 4.3m/15.5% overnight against Corrie.

Just a quick correction to my earlier post: EastEnders on that night didn't quite consolidate to 11m: I was looking at the 'semi-officials' for 20:00-20:30. It ran from 19:59 to 20:32 and the final, timed-to-the-minute figure (including the lower-rated opening and closing credits) was 10.98m (35.9%).
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 6.99m (28.9%)
    19:30 - EastEnders: 6.59m (26.0%)

Forgot there was a clash!

Death in Paradise: 6.70m (26.7%)
    The Undateables: 2.69m (10.7%)
    Great Houses with Julian Fellows: 2.02m (8.1%)

CBB: 2.26m (11.9%)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in the teatime battle:

Pointless: 3.68m (21.0%)
    The Chase: 3.78m (22.7%)

Bake Off: 3.91m (15.7%)
    Forum Member
    Five: Tuesday numbers
    Benidorm ER: 1.37m (5.5%)
    Body of Proof: 1.19m (4.7%)
    Celebrity Big Brother: 2.38m (12.6%)
    Celebrity Big Brother's Bit on the Side: 799k (8.2%)
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Forgot there was a clash!

Death in Paradise: 6.70m (26.7%)
    The Undateables: 2.69m (10.7%)
    Great Houses with Julian Fellows: 2.02m (8.1%)

CBB: 2.26m (11.9%)

That's the first time in ages apart from a Christmas clash that EastEnders hasn't collapsed. Undateables seem to be doing much better this series and look at Death In Paradise go!! Utopia is not doing well at 10pm 730k last night.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five: Tuesday numbers
    Benidorm ER: 1.37m (5.5%)
    Body of Proof: 1.19m (4.7%)
    Celebrity Big Brother: 2.38m (12.6%)
    Celebrity Big Brother's Bit on the Side: 799k (8.2%)

Those are some good figures for Channel 5. It does have some really good shows at the moment. More people should sample them.
    Forum Member
    Great Houses wasn't such a great draw. RPG players including myself were expecting closer to 3m for that. Is 2m the new 3m on the FlopZone ? Considering these was a royal theme to last night's episode, and royal themed docs on BBC2 and C4 regularly clear 2m, that is a very poor audience indeed for Julian's programme.

Death in Paradise is just a beast now, the BBC has found a returning drama in that show with real longevity. Utopia on the other hand is just a big turkey, especially leading out of The Undateables which is continuing to perform very well for C4, although how much of that is down to ITV failing to get out of first gear remains to be seen.
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

313k on +1 for Emmerdale.

Emmerdale 19:00-19:30 (exc +1): 7.32m (31.65%)
    Emmerdale 19:30-20:00 (exc +1): 6.66m (26.4%)

A very narrow loss for EE during the clash.

ITV +1 audience (not time-adjusted):
    20:00-20:30: 266k (1.1%)
    20:30-21:00: 360k (1.4%)
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    maybe ITV should have stripped Lewis across Mondays and Tuesdays?

very good EE figure (even though I was watching Emmers). DIP also very good, even if last night's episode didn't grab me that much
This discussion has been closed.