Looking for feedback on the racing game that I'm developing

Comments

• DragonJamDragonJam Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update I think it's looking good and I think the car below looks great.
    skin1.jpg

Out of curiosity have you got any recent gameplay videos to see how that has progressed?

Hi gds1972!

The truth is no, we haven't. We are starting to make some sort of storyboard and plan the structure of the trailerm but nothing to show yet. Sorry!

This is something I even complained about here at the studio but the truth is that it takes a lot of energy and time to make a decent trailer and we were still very immersed in the development of the game.

As soon as we get new video footage I'll post it here! Promise! ;-)

Thanks a lot for your comment!
    Mojo Fones wrote: »
    I'd love to see this on Xbox One. Talk to Microsoft! 😀

Got their phone number? :D:D

Seriously, If we had some success with the PV version, we'd really consider a port to consoles!

Thanks for the comment Mojo Fones!
    Jimall wrote: »
    I think it's looking pretty good too... well done! If it was released on console then I'd probably buy it but unfortunately being PC only will mean it's highly unlikely I will.

One thing that did strike me as a bit odd though was the cards for the circuits. Personally, I don't think they match the style of the game at all. The game seems to take on a cartoony feel but the circuits cards look like something you'd see in a survival horror game.

Hi Jimall

Mmmmm...I think I see your point regarding the cards. But well....nah...doesn't look bad to me. It's ok.

Maybe in the end, that blend of styles could turned out into our personal style!

Thanks a lot for the feedback, we do really appreciate it!
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Was just about to mention almost the same thing.

The litmus test for any "mario-kart" game is that it should always be possible, with sufficient skill, to recover from a set-back and compete for the win.

In F1 race-stars you could have a bit of bad luck, collect 2 or 3 bad pickups and it would irredeemably ruin your race to the point where it was absolutely impossible to claw your way back and challenge for a win.

The developers of these games should never lose sight of the fact that a racing game is supposed to be a game of skill, rather than a lucky-dip.
    If a skilled player can't beat a lucky player, something's badly wrong with a game IMO.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS

In fact is one of our cornerstone since we started to develop our game.

We are all Mario Kart lovers, but yeah, the luck factor is its weakest point. I hate that, it's only useful if you play with children or people who never played a game like this before.

That's why we implemented more tactics, and erased the "random-item" factor of MK. Instead, in our game each character has his/her own Special Skill and it's up to you to decide which one to use and how to use it, and build your strategy around this plus your driving skills.

Thanks a lot for your comment Si_Crewe!!
    Forum Member
    Hi again…

…we’re thrilled to show new Wincars Racer game footage! :):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z20KXJ2xykI

We really wanted to show some “in-movement” stuff where you can appreciate how the game is getting better as the development goes on.

This video is part of a blog post to be shared tomorrow where you will be able to know more details about the handling and feel of each of the 4 car series present in the game.

New game images:

This is one of the fake ads than will be placed in certain spots of the circuits whose intention is to give a real-life feel to the game’s universe. We’ve even made some of them featuring the game’s characters as media stars announcing commercial products like soda and stuff like that….

Cavallo-Prous.jpg

A close-up shot at the Dawn Of the Racers brand new car skin (all these skin names are still provisional, so we’d appreciate some feedback on them… and you can even suggest your own ideas to name them!)

Dawn-Of-The-Racers.jpg

The Wild One car skin for Carelle model. Personally, my favorite among all skins we’ve made so far….

The-Wild-One.jpg

The-Wild-One-back.jpg

A gameplay screenshot that will help you to get a quick overview of how racing trying to avoid giant rolling stones will be in Isla Aventura

Jurassic-Volcanoe.jpg

Finally, Bradley using Rocket Rush Special Skill in its higher level, which is basically three huge turbines on full throttle giving your racer an extra boost. Using it wisely in the right moment will allow you to change race positions completely.

Bradley-Rocket-Rush.jpg

We’d really appreciate if you could leave your opinion about this update, both the video and the images. Ideas & suggestions are much welcome!!

If you like the game so far, you can go sign up at our site and you’ll have future closed-beta access guaranteed so that you will be able to be the first ones to play it and help us with the testing and balancing the game.

Greetings from the entire dev team!
  • shaun_lenchshaun_lench Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    It does look good but if you could maybe put some planes in and some free roam then i reckon you will be on a winner.

Im gutted really i just upgraded to 4gb ram but know i will need 8 to play this with my aspire 5551g...at low settings. : (

Good luck.
    Forum Member
    It does look good but if you could maybe put some planes in and some free roam then i reckon you will be on a winner.

Im gutted really i just upgraded to 4gb ram but know i will need 8 to play this with my aspire 5551g...at low settings. : (

Good luck.

Hi shaun_lench,

We'll add some free roam footage in next videos.

Regarding the minimum specs: We're working hard in order to make the game run properly in 4 GB setups. Of course, it would be in lowest quality, without most of the lighting effects and that kind of things...but truth is that we still can't promise it will work for sure.

Forum Member
    Hello everyone!

It’s been a month and a half since last update so today there is a lot of new stuff to show you.

an-update-packed-with-new-stuff.jpg

More than 100 new skins appear in the game!

Up to this point, for the development tests, we just used one skin of each of the eleven car models. So it was time to finally introduce the special models.

We are tripping!

Here you can see a few real screenshots so you can have an idea of how they look and the current state of the game:

wincars-racer-screenshot.jpg

wincars-racer.jpg

wincars-racer-picture.jpg

New cover!

wincars-racer-cover.jpg

At last an image that truly presents the game.

The challenge was to create a cover that conveyed the emotion of the races while presenting the pilots and the cars in an attractive way. Truth is we think we have succeeded in doing this and we are very happy with the result.

We want to say a big thank you all for the feedback that you have given us on the temporary images that we have been using previously, it has helped us a lot when it came to visualizing the final version.

Final web design

We are working on the website’s facelift which has been a development blog up to now, and which will be, from this point on, an integral part of the game.

This way it will become the fundamental tool in order to download the game and also the meeting point to Racers worldwide.

testing-game-website.jpg
    (Checking that everything works fine)

If we talk about functionalities, as you can see in the picture, these sections have already been added: News, The Game, Gallery and Community, and inside this last one, you’ll find the awaited Forum. Social media have more weight too, adding the Facebook widget in the side bar.

wincars-racer-website.jpg

Rear view

As soon as the game started working as we wanted it to work, and the races started being fun, balanced and frantic, we realized that it was time to work on the rear view mode.

Although we still have to assign it to a definite button and work out a few details (remove certain particles and camera effects which don’t make sense for the rear view), the first tests have been a complete success, and have added a lot of value to the gameplay.

rear-view-mode.jpg

Turbo particles

We have improved its particles and truth is it’s amazing. We are very proud of the visual feel that you get when using the Turbo. You can see it in this image:

turbo-particles-effect.jpg

Introducing the drivers

Same as with the game cover, it has been decided to present the pilots in individual illustrations using their exclusive special ability.

At this time we have started working with Montana Dom!

montana-dom-concept-art.jpg

That’s all, we’re really happy with the idea of sharing our progress here in the boards and listen to opinions, ideas and suggestions directly from you.

Greetings to everyone here at DigitalSpy!
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone....

Time has come!

racing-game-alpha-testing_0.jpg

We're thrilled to announce that tomorrow, Thursday 3rd starting from 13:00 Pacific Time to 15:00 Pacific time (20:00 UTC to 22:00 UTC) Racers from all around the world will measure their skills playing Wincars Racer for the very first time!

If you are interested in taking part of this, here are the instructions to download the game: http://bit.ly/1LFmXjb

Once the test is finished you'll receive a survey via email to share your thoughts on the game so far and give feedback. Of course, you can also post a message here in the Forum!

See you at the races!

Wincars-Racer-circuits.jpg?itok=dXW1p96e

Wincars-Racer-Car.jpg?itok=bdCdimk_
    Forum Member
    Hi ,

I'm not sure if anybody from the forum participated...just in case: Thanks a lot to everyone who took part of the Alpha event!

Want to tell us how was your first Wincars Racer experience through this quick survey?: http://bit.ly/1ikPtwL

Greetings from the studio devs!

Wincars-Racer-ThankYou.jpg
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck.

8gig? Why does this game need so much ram?
    Forum Member
    8gig? Why does this game need so much ram?

Well,

It's 3D racing game made using a commercial game engine (Unity). Obviously, you can't compare how an indie studio makes a game with how huge studios make theirs.

If we developed our own game engine we would surely be able to optimize it even more, thus reducing the minimum specs. But we can't afford to do that! :)

Thanks for the comment whoever!
    Forum Member
    Hi again,

Last weekend, we showcased the game at Madrid Games Week and truth is that it was an absolute success:Wincars Racer was awarded as Best Debut Game! :D:D:D

best-game-debut.jpg

Feedback-jugadores.jpg?itok=l3_N2Spx

Undoubtedly, this award belongs to you too. You who helped us with the Alpha tests, who usually give us feedback on the game's progress and all of you who just read this thread on a regular basis.

Congratulations!

There's a new post in the devblog featuring lots of pictures of all the action that happened these days at the fair: http://bit.ly/1huig0U

Besides, the new trailer released for Madrid Games Week is now avalaible to watch online!

As always, feedback is much appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-KAmGbuqsw
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone,

Today, we're thrilled to announce that...

You can play Wincars Racer Beta now!

betalaunch.jpg

How to Download the game

It's fairly straightforward if you already signed up at our site. Just log in at Wincars Racer site and download the game.

http://www.wincarsracer.com

Otherwise, you need to sign up and redeem a Beta Key, though, there will be a Beta Key for everyone here at Digital Spy who asks for one!

That's our way to express our gratitude to everyone who gave feedback or just followed the game progress in this thread. *

Check out the new game trailer released to announce the Beta. It's the best we've done so far!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT15-20k1W0

Thanks for everything and see you at the races! ;)
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I have to say its looking pretty good now. Best of luck polishing it and getting it out there.

The name is still awful though.
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I have to say its looking pretty good now. Best of luck polishing it and getting it out there.

The name is still awful though.

Thanks a lot for your comment Vast_Girth!

Will keep on polishing it!
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Looks really good hopefully you will be able to bring it to consoles as well.
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Looks really good hopefully you will be able to bring it to consoles as well.

Well, that would be too ambitious for us now. First let's make it on Pc and see what happens and how players like it. But yes, a consoles port would be great!!!

Forum Member
    Is it going to be on Steam?
    Forum Member
    Is it going to be on Steam?

Not now, and honestly, it wasn't our intention at first.

But we've noticed how many of much asked for that, and surely we'll go for Steam once the Beta tests has passed.

Thanks for your comment!
    Forum Member
    DragonJam wrote: »
    Not now, and honestly, it wasn't our intention at first.

But we've noticed how many of much asked for that, and surely we'll go for Steam once the Beta tests has passed.

Thanks for your comment!

If you are not on steam you are missing out on a ton of potential sales. Your game looks better than a lot of the dross that gets released on their too.
    Forum Member
    If you are not on steam you are missing out on a ton of potential sales. Your game looks better than a lot of the dross that gets released on their too.

Thanks a lot Vast_Girth,

Yesterday, we had a meeting here at the studio, and decided that yes, we're going to Steam.

We'll just take a little bit time to fix all major bugs found theses days in the closed-beta tests and then we'll surely set up a Greenlight.

We'll let you know about this when there's some update!
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone!

We are aware that it has been a little bit difficult to find players online to race against these first days of Beta. Thanks a lot to everyone who wrote to us explaining this situation and suggesting us to set up official scheduled playing times.

So here they are. If you want to race against real players, these are the recommended times to launch the game!

Every Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday
    From 12:00 PST to 14:00 PST
    (20:00 UTC to 22:00 UTC)

playingtimes.jpg

Launcher issue FIXED!

Some of you experienced this annoying bug that even got to prevent players from playing the game at all. The good news is that we fixed it! Most of players who have tried the new one didn't suffer the bug (so far...fingers crossed!).

If you encountered this bug, please download the new client from here:

http://download.wincarsracer.com/WincarsRacerInstallerV2_2.exe

That's all, see you all behind the wheel at the next official playing time on Sunday 6th!
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone,

It's here...

Wincars Racer Greenlight campaign is now live!

Now, it's in your hands if the game will be available on Steam or not. You can vote for it in this link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619988052

We'd really appreciate you sharing the link with your friends on the internet, help us spread the word!

Open beta available now

You can now play the new Wincars Racer new version 0.0.3

Just log in at http://www.wincarsracer.com and then download the game by clicking on Play Free Now.

If you already had access to the Beta just open the game launcher and it will update to the the latest version automatically. Play whenever you want, but remember that there are way more players in the official scheduled playtimes.

Playtimes Schedule: http://www.wincarsracer.com/content/official-scheduled-times-play-wincars-racer-beta

What's new on this version?

A complete list of major changes, improvements and bug fixes can be found at the Build release notes, though, we advance you that a new drifting/handbrake button has been implemented and that the overall game performance has been drastically improved.

Build Notes: http://www.wincarsracer.com/updates/build-003-here

Full drifting action and full adrenalin fun!

Thanks for the support and don't forget to leave feedback if you give the beta a try, we couldn't do it without your help!
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I haven't played it but can see it's a big labour of love for your guys, so I tried to vote for it for Greenlight from the main Steam interface. Unfortunately I don't really know how the system works and I didn't find it, but I'll try again another day.

(I can't remember my Steam password to log in on a web browser but if I find it I'll do it that way.)

Are you posting on the Eurogamer forum as well? There are lots of really passionate gamers on there, I imagine you'd get a lot more feedback (both good and bad) from there as it's a dedicated gaming site.

There are a few small mistakes in the English on the webpage, if you want those cleared up I might be able to help, PM me :)

Good luck!
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Last weekend I got a new laptop that's more than capable of running this I look forward to giving it a try.
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    I haven't played it but can see it's a big labour of love for your guys, so I tried to vote for it for Greenlight from the main Steam interface. Unfortunately I don't really know how the system works and I didn't find it, but I'll try again another day.

(I can't remember my Steam password to log in on a web browser but if I find it I'll do it that way.)

Are you posting on the Eurogamer forum as well? There are lots of really passionate gamers on there, I imagine you'd get a lot more feedback (both good and bad) from there as it's a dedicated gaming site.

There are a few small mistakes in the English on the webpage, if you want those cleared up I might be able to help, PM me :)

Good luck!

Hi nattoyaki

I'll check out Eurogamer forum!

Please do not hesitate to send us the corrections of the english on the website. Obviously, we're not english native speakers so we really appreciate that! (We will send all game texts to a game localization company prior to the launch).

Feel free to send the mistakes you found to javier.bargueno@dragonjamstudios.com or just PM them directly to me via the forum.

Thanks a lot for your nice words and for trying to vote for us on Steam! :D