Options

From BBC to ITV

Comments

• Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenny Everett went from ITV to the BBC, and he must be the only person I can think of whose ITV shows were better than his BBC ones.

I'd also add Les Dawson, whose programmes for YTV were better than the similar sketch shows he then did for the BBC before Blankety Blank. The same can be said for Stanley Baxter whose LWT shows somehow seemed more innovative than the ones he later did for the BBC (incidentally Baxter was on the BBC with a rather low budget sketch show before he went to LWT).

Don't forget the Monty Python crew were originally on Rediffusion, albeit split amongst two shows.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Alesha Dixon from Strictly Come Dancing to Britain's Got Talent.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Couple of chefs who went from BBC to C4
    Jamie Oliver started off on the BBC
    Not sure if Heston started on the BBC. I think he had a series on Discovery.
    But he made it as a celeb chef on the beeb and went off to C4.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maltronics wrote: »
    How many names have moved/switched channels here are just a few

David Jason,Des lynam,Ant and Dec,Adrian Chiles,Morcombe and Wise,Johnathan Ross

& soon simon cowell from itv to bbc that is
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    After Henry from BBC Radio to ITV (courtesy of Thames Television)
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    After Henry from BBC Radio to ITV (courtesy of Thames Television)

what in relation to cowell
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Antony Worrall Thompson / Saturday Kitchen from BBC to ITV renamed Saturday Cooks.
    Same production company/staff I think.

Similar to SFTW with hosts & staff from BBC to Sunday Brunch on C4.
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susanna Reid has left BBC Breakfast for ITV's new breakfast show
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Nowadays you see the same lot on the main channels so I guess it's now because they are freelance instead of payroll.

Yes, that seems to be the case. I did a double take when Jacqui Oatley turned up presenting an ITV FA Cup programme one night, then was back on the BBC doing a women's football item a week or so later. It's just something we'll get used to in time.
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Glenn A;47160484
    not to mention a furore when Cleo Rocos appeared as a dominatrix in one show. [/QUOTE]

:D Oh yes, I remember it well!!
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick Grimshaw (X Factor)
    Although he's still on Radio 1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Utter waste of time reloading a old thread simply to add that plus he was channel 4 initially
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The official reason given for Morecambe and Wise moving back to the BBC in 1967 (they were at first on BBC2) was that their programmes could be made in colour while ITV stayed in black-and-white until the end of 1969.ATV did have colour facilities at Elstree where they made a number of colour programmes for the US market including some Tom Jones spectaculars. But Lew Grade never offered Morecambe and Wise the opportunity.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The official reason given for Morecambe and Wise moving back to the BBC in 1967 (they were at first on BBC2) was that their programmes could be made in colour while ITV stayed in black-and-white until the end of 1969.ATV did have colour facilities at Elstree where they made a number of colour programmes for the US market including some Tom Jones spectaculars. But Lew Grade never offered Morecambe and Wise the opportunity.

Neither you or I were in that meeting, but it's clear that even if ATV had produced M&W's show in colour (which might have been possible) they didn't have the facility to show it in the UK in colour. I'm not even sure that by 1967 it had been confirmed what date BBC 1 and ITV would be in colour ?
  • Options
    David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The official reason given for Morecambe and Wise moving back to the BBC in 1967 (they were at first on BBC2) was that their programmes could be made in colour while ITV stayed in black-and-white until the end of 1969.ATV did have colour facilities at Elstree where they made a number of colour programmes for the US market including some Tom Jones spectaculars. But Lew Grade never offered Morecambe and Wise the opportunity.[/QUOT

I never understood why they criticised Lew Grade for this he could not have transmitted it in colour in the UK until Nov 1969. It was out of his hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Neither you or I were in that meeting, but it's clear that even if ATV had produced M&W's show in colour (which might have been possible) they didn't have the facility to show it in the UK in colour. I'm not even sure that by 1967 it had been confirmed what date BBC 1 and ITV would be in colour ?

In 1967 the ITA (as was) announced a new franchise round in 1968 and said then the companies would be required to broadcast in colour.
  • Options
    David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is also another point that ATV could now longer guaranty it would be shown in London on a Saturday night as LWT had other programs in mind for Saturday nights
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1967 the ITA (as was) announced a new franchise round in 1968 and said then the companies would be required to broadcast in colour.

DId they ? So when did the Postmaster General confirm the date for colour on ITV ? Quote some verifiable links please ?

In any case m&w wanted to be seen in colour ASAP, in other words 67/68
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christine Bleakley's career totally collapsed when she moved to ITV. Both programmes she appeared in were cancelled and apart from the odd little watched entertainment show, she does nothing now.
    One who was successful in his move from the BBC to ITV was Jim Rosenthal, a sports presenter and commentator on Radio 2 who was offered a big deal with ITV Sport in 1982. He started off on the soon to be cancelled World of Sport, but soon established a reputation as an athletics, boxing and football presenter and in his 28 years with ITV Sport presented Formula 1, two Rugby World Cups, the 1988 Olympics as well as the three main sports he was best known for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Christine Bleakley's career totally collapsed when she moved to ITV. Both programmes she appeared in were cancelled and apart from the odd little watched entertainment show, she does nothing now.
    One who was successful in his move from the BBC to ITV was Jim Rosenthal, a sports presenter and commentator on Radio 2 who was offered a big deal with ITV Sport in 1982. He started off on the soon to be cancelled World of Sport, but soon established a reputation as an athletics, boxing and football presenter and in his 28 years with ITV Sport presented Formula 1, two Rugby World Cups, the 1988 Olympics as well as the three main sports he was best known for.

Derek Thompson and Brian Moore are two other examples that spring to mind
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dangermouse has gone the other way.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never did understand why we in London had Thames TV weekdays and London Weekend TV from Friday 7pm to Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    Never did understand why we in London had Thames TV weekdays and London Weekend TV from Friday 7pm to Sunday.

The ITA split the franchise because they feared one company for seven days a week would make too much money ! Ironic when you think ITV came close to financial disaster in the early few years. The Midlands (ABC/ATV) and the North (Granada/ABC) also had split franchises. The original London franchise was divided between Associated Rediffusion (weekdays) and ATV (weekends) which explains why ATV had the Elstree studios, eventually sold to the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Dangermouse has gone the other way.

Oh, yes, Richard Hammond did have an ITV afternoon chat show.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    David Dickinson
    Trinny and Susannah - who sank without trace
    Antony Worral Thompson - took the whole BBC Cooking show to ITV on a Saturday morning, BBC recruited James Martin and carried on as if nothing had happened - AWT dismal failure, replaced by repeats of Murder She Wrote
    Julia Bradbury seems to have vanished without trace

oh and Ben Elton - that total piece of shite he did with Alexa Chung who has so few brain cells you can see them jiggle when she flutters her eyelashes