"School is the best time of your life"

Comments

• MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    have to add too about having kids at school..I have 3.. the oldest and the youngest hated it with a passion..the one in the middle said it was ok..I only have the one left at school but she is so desperate to leave and go to college...only my oldest was bullied at school..they just find it boring..should also point out though that my oldest is in full time work and the middle one has just left..before I get people asking if they are sitting around on their backsides..so for my kids they see the school the same way as I did
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, there must be something seriously wrong in your life if school was the best time of your life, thats all I can say.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Urgh no - I hated it. A rought comprehensive in the 70s. Not fun. I still have nightmares set there, it was that vile. No education either as the thugs were so far out of control, the syllabus never got taught (they were too busy smashing holes in the classroom wall, or smashing windows, or getting arrested).

Total waste of time. I could have got better grades at O and A Level if I'd stayed home and studied alone. And socially - I had no intention of going to prison in adult life so where would i ever have to mix with people like that again? My only itnerchange with people like those I was at school with, nowadays is to say "Can I have fries with that?":D

Exactly like my school. What a dump.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despised school. Was bullied (and that was just people I thought were friends), had eggs thrown at me, friends abandoned me when I came out, had bins thrown at me with the usual "dyke" comments, fireworks thrown at me (though that was at everyone but occassionally just me). Had a breakdown one day and my guidance teacher just sat me in a room, and said I could go there whenever I wanted, so I never went back to some classes, in my last year. It didn't matter if I wasn't in class I got better grades by studying alone, and learned more than when lessons were disrupted by idiots.

The guidance teacher never really helped got fobbed off to a counsellor who knowing I had plans on how to kill myself, did nothing but let me "cry it out". All (but one truly amazing teacher) the teachers who did like me ignored me when the whole school found out I was gay.

The day I left was the best day of my life, because it was hell to me, if I had went back I probably wouldn't be alive.
  • ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only started to care about my education when I entered college and started studying my A-Levels there, for me and quite a few people were essentially discarded. I think most people would agree that if you didn't fit the mould or you were not seen as someone who would sustain or improve test scores schools just didn't care in secondary school.
  • xAries_1990xxAries_1990x Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there must be something seriously wrong in your life if school was the best time of your life, thats all I can say.

Why :confused:

It wasn't the best time of my life, but I loved it and can understand why some people say it was. Not a care in the world almost, no money worries, no relationship worries, no job, your whole life ahead of you, so many possibilities....
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Loved School, it was always the people who didn't involve themselves in things that seemed to have their faces tripping themselves. The last 2 years were just great and 5 years on the group of us from School are as close as ever, but expanded with new Uni friends.

Also agree with earlier posts, Uni is like School x100, totally awesome from start to finish.
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    That is what my mum said and she was wrong. I hated both primary and secondary school and was very unhappy. Leaving secondary school was the best day of my life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    horns wrote: »
    I always think that if your schooldays were the best bit of your life, you must have made a bit of a hash of adulthood.

In my more cutting moments, I agree with this.
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obvs they say it b/c it's all good until you leave when then you have to get a job, have bills to pay etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our mum used to say this, it was her mantra. Couldn't have been more wrong if she tried. I loathed school with every essence of being. Couldn't wait to get out of the infested, hateful, uncaring dump.
  • peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you not fit in at school? There must have been about 10 different "types" of people in my school. Everyone fitted in at least one group and most fitted in quite a few. You must be a proper weirdo to not fit in with anybody, and chances are you are just being difficult on purpose.
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter3hg wrote: »
    How can you not fit in at school? There must have been about 10 different "types" of people in my school. Everyone fitted in at least one group and most fitted in quite a few. You must be a proper weirdo to not fit in with anybody, and chances are you are just being difficult on purpose.

Some people have VICTIM stamped on their forhead if their stories are to be believed.

Must make it difficult to fit in.
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked my primary school, my class was the worst class in the school and we were known for making mischief :o They were fun times, but I´m sure the teachers couldn´t wait to see us leave!

My secondary school was a grammar school so I was forced to start behaving. I was never one of the poplular kids, I had a small but close group of friends and we were all quite quirky. We were mostly ignored, which suited me because I didn´t want to get involved in all the bitching. There was no physical bullying. I´m still friends with the same group and we see each other during the hols. They were good years, but definitely not the best of my life! Uni is much better, there´s so much more freedom and such a wide variety of people. I´ve travelled a lot too, which has been amazing. So far I´d say that the 3 years of uni have been the best.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved sixth form, loved university, hated school.

I'm nearly 30 now, paying off a mortgage, in a dead end job, riddled with debt, and I still wouldn't ask to go back to school
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter3hg wrote: »

My school was a grammar school in a small town. Almost everyone was middle class, local and white. There was a minority of kids from working class backgrounds, no one was nasty to them or anything, but they just didn´t fit in and left straight after their GCSE´s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    School is merely a battleground where those disillusioned with the current face off against the to-be-disillusioned of the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved school. I was lucky enough to go to a good school, and my love of learning started there. Now I'm a teacher, and I try to inspire the kids in the same way I was inspired by some of my teachers.
  • miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Secondary school was absolutely horrendous and the most unhappy I've ever been. Many other pupils were completely out of control and I never truly felt safe there. I despised it. Bleh. Life has been miles better since leaving! :)
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best years of our life is retiremen Both my wife and I got told what to do at school, all our life at work we had to follow procedure, now we are both retired we can do what we want to do, we get up when we like, we can go were we like, we stay out as long as we like. Nobody tells us what we have to do.

We can take our holidays when we like and stay as long as we like and after years of leading a life of being reasonably careful and sensible what we spent, both saving and investing to get decent private pensions to subsidise the State Pension pittance, we can afford to do now the things we always wanted to do.

We are glad, unlike the previous Labour Government we saved money when we could, rather than fritter it away on crap like many did, now we reap the rewards.

What years we have got left, we can now enjoy, and we will. We have had four years so far in retirement and have really enjoyed every minute of it.
  • SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    I loathed school - I never had a problem with other pupils but was constantly picked on by teachers from the age of 7 until I left at 16.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I hated the first year of high school. I was bullied by one kid called Charles. I told my uncle who over the summer taught me self defence. First week of second year I used it on Charles and got suspended for a month :) . He never did bully me again after that and the next few years were fine.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    Is it just me or do other people think "your life must suck" if you see/read/hear someone say "School is the best time of your life" or some derivative?

Agree. I didn't hate school but it bored me rigid. My life has been 1000 times better as an adult and my life at work beats going to school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    summerain wrote: »
    I was bullied right through secondary school. I attempted suicide several times between the age of 12 and 14 just to escape the daily torment. Eventually I was allowed to withdraw on health grounds and home tutored (paid for by the education department). I developed a phobia of all schools/educational buildings after that. I'm even scared of museums. :o

I can safely say they were the worst years of my life!

This is in no way a dig at you Summer but I knew someone who left for a similar reason;

In Year 8 he began claiming he was missing school due to a fear of crowds, but some other students saw him at a Bradford City match, he then began claiming it was schools or "Scool crowds" (Meaning he got to arrive at lessons 5 minutes late and leave 5 minutes early) - One of his rare attendances he sat with me and 2 mates, the usual banter was going on, with him dishing plenty of it out, until one of them accussed him of staring at an "unnattractive" girls thong which unfortunately was on display :( - we were going about 15 seconds if that before he ran to the teacher, showed him his note and was never seen in school again! Nobody has even heard from him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    AppleTango wrote: »
    So basically this thread is just a load of weirdos whining on about how they were bullied at school?

If you ask me it's the Neanderthal losers who did the bullying and they were usually the weirdos.