"School is the best time of your life"

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AppleTango wrote: »
    So basically this thread is just a load of weirdos whining on about how they were bullied at school?

Oh FGS. I never came close to being bullied, i was in the in crowd, had loads of friends and was a straight A student but I still think school was dull as you like and think it's pretty odd to think your childhood years were the best of your life. I just think it's a bit sad and smacks of not wanting to move on and grow up.
  • angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hah, was bullied thru it all, if i was there now i'd just give it straight back to em. I was extremely shy and weak:mad::cry:
    Were so nasty, had so much power over me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    While I was there I hated it (because it was school), but truth be told, looking back it was rather mint.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,888
    Forum Member
    I hated school. Was bullied right from the start of primary school up until the day I left secondary school at 16. College was so much better, but then when I got to uni weirdly in some ways it felt like being back at school again with the way some people behaved. :(

Sometimes I wish I got the chance to go back and do it all again with the knowledge I have now (like the worst that can happen is I'll get expelled if I stand up for myself more)... like they say hindsight is a wonderful thing lol.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peter3hg wrote: »
    How can you not fit in at school? There must have been about 10 different "types" of people in my school. Everyone fitted in at least one group and most fitted in quite a few. You must be a proper weirdo to not fit in with anybody, and chances are you are just being difficult on purpose.

I got on with most people at school (although it has to be said I was a bit oddball, but not many kids minded it; the teachers actually tended to be far less tolerant of my eccentricities). I wasn't seriously bullied by other pupils, only by my French teacher in second year, and my dad got that stopped.

But your mates and the good times with them are such a small part of school. Over 90% of school was the relentless awful tedium of sitting in a duller-than-dull lesson counting the minutes till you could get out of it. And there was homework and studying for exams; you weren't free even when you left for the day.

So there were plenty reasons to hate school other than the kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely hated school, I had a very, very hard time of it, struggling to complete any work, bullying... the lot.

I left school just before my GCSE's, I regret it in a way but I just could not cope anymore... I am 18 now and still not in the right mind, I'm at home and things are starting to get a lot more difficult not knowing what will happen next! Especially as I am not claiming any money, it is starting to mess things up for my parents with Housing Benefit and Tax Credits... The local council are assuming I'm working (even though I have no N.I. # yet) so they want us to pay about £10 a week towards rent and tax for me! uggh!

I wouldn't mind doing college courses but look at colleges around here (especially the one in my town) the courses are really poor as they want to close it down. that means traveling a 32 mile round trip to get anywhere near a decent one. I am very poor in social situations (due to how bad I had it in school) too and would much prefer home courses but then it is harder to find stuff like that.

It amazes me how crap education is in this country, I have friends in America and they tell me what education is like over there... They seem to get more choice in what they want to learn and there seems to be a lot more success, especially with languages... Schools here seem to be too watered down and WAY too light handed on bullies, especially when the bullies get away with it and the victims get the blame for standing up for themselves! It just has to change! People like myself and many others educations are being or already have been destroyed.

Not to mention UK kid apparently spend longer in school than the rest of Europe so I have heard.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only they had spent any time teaching kids how to have confidence rather than how to calculate the square root of a partially filled swimming pool.....I disliked much of the latter years of school...I know that if I'd had a bit more confidence I'd have got on well.

Imagine having the confidence to punch a bully on the nose and a kick in the nuts... that would probably have ended all bullying for most people in one single action
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    Is it just me or do other people think "your life must suck" if you see/read/hear someone say "School is the best time of your life" or some derivative?

Like the curate's egg, school life was "good in parts"

It wasn't the best or the worst time of my life.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only they had spent any time teaching kids how to have confidence rather than how to calculate the square root of a partially filled swimming pool.....I disliked much of the latter years of school...I know that if I'd had a bit more confidence I'd have got on well.

Imagine having the confidence to punch a bully on the nose and a kick in the nuts... that would probably have ended all bullying for most people in one single action

Fair point. One thing that sensitive children/young people fail
    realise is that bullying is mostly psychological, and designed specifically to drain confidence.

I've often thought that classes on "bullying" or some euphemism which means the same thing, like "dealing with threatening situations", should be brought into the curriculum, to show up bullies and the tactics they use,as well as to instill confidence in the bullied.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I absolutely hated school, I had a very, very hard time of it, struggling to complete any work, bullying... the lot.

I left school just before my GCSE's, I regret it in a way but I just could not cope anymore... I am 18 now and still not in the right mind, I'm at home and things are starting to get a lot more difficult not knowing what will happen next! Especially as I am not claiming any money, it is starting to mess things up for my parents with Housing Benefit and Tax Credits... The local council are assuming I'm working (even though I have no N.I. # yet) so they want us to pay about £10 a week towards rent and tax for me! uggh!

I wouldn't mind doing college courses but look at colleges around here (especially the one in my town) the courses are really poor as they want to close it down. that means traveling a 32 mile round trip to get anywhere near a decent one. I am very poor in social situations (due to how bad I had it in school) too and would much prefer home courses but then it is harder to find stuff like that.

It amazes me how crap education is in this country, I have friends in America and they tell me what education is like over there... They seem to get more choice in what they want to learn and there seems to be a lot more success, especially with languages... Schools here seem to be too watered down and WAY too light handed on bullies, especially when the bullies get away with it and the victims get the blame for standing up for themselves! It just has to change! People like myself and many others educations are being or already have been destroyed.

Not to mention UK kid apparently spend longer in school than the rest of Europe so I have heard.

Have you considered doing your GCSEs online? Try contacting Learn Direct. And go to your GP to arrange counseling or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
    To build up your confidence, why don't you try volunteering?
    I found this in your area. Why not give them a try?
    http://www.kentyouth.org/
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you teach confidence though? It´s something you acquire throughout life, through social life, achievements etc. I don´t know how much a teacher can do about it. I don´t think any teacher would teach you how to punch and kick someone, that would actually be counter productive.
  • BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed my time at school, I was bullied but the people who bullied me i couldn't care less about what they thought of me, I was never popular as the popular ones were the indie and emo people and everytime i went past them there was a great big vibe of smugness around them so I was happy to be I guess a bit of a reject and I was never smart but thats the part i really hated about school was the main reason I was there, to learn. I hated almost all my subjects with English being the only one I enjoyed but was still never good at.

Would I say it was the best part of my life, well i am only 17 and have only had a year away from school so I kind of hope my life hasn't peaked already.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    University was the best time of my life.

I couldn't afford to go there now, though.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting my first flat when I was single was the best time of my life. Being able to come and go without questions, parties, fast food when I wanted, walking about it naked!! Bliss!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    I think full time education was the best time of my life, from primary to university. They were my years of freedom, endless possibility, no responsibilty, exploration. I don't hate my life now, and it some ways it is obviously better, I have more money, my son, I am not such a complete w@nker, which I definately was in my youth. But the enchantment, hope and magic of youth and childhood can't be re-captured in the same way, and I loved that time in my life.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it out, I flipping hated school!!!
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Art College was the very best time of my life.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Lucky you - how did you get out of it, were you taught at home?

I pestered my parents to teach me at home, after I saw a TV doc about a boy whose parents did just that, I thought he was the luckiest kid ever! Never worked for me though - but I did leave school just before I was 15.

I was taught at home for 7 years 'cause of a bad experience in school and when I moved to Ireland when I was 13 I went to secondary school, I enjoyed it and managed to do well in all my exams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed school, particularly sixth form. I look back with great memories, I was very involved at school and I had (have) a great group of friends and we've still stayed just as close even though we're scattered around the country at different unis. I probably wouldn't say it was the best time of my life, because uni is brilliant but I had a great time at school.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had lots of fun at school, and my penultimate term was the best.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    The only things I miss about school is all the time off and the fact that I had less worries back then. I don't miss the disruptive pupils, the stuffy uniform, being talked down to etc. I've certainly enjoyed the four years since I've left school more than any of my schooling years. However I was still a bit sad when I left, knowing that we were going our separate ways and starting out in the big bad world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed school, I also enjoyed that carefree time as a teen, even if at the time trivial matters bothered us. I had great frinds and from wht I can remember no bullies exsisted at my school!

HOWEVER I would say my very early 20's was the best time of my life. I left home and literally travelled the world. :cool:

I am now in my very late 20's (:cry:) and I often get nostalgic pangs of my life back then. Not a care in the world. Life was wonderfully exciting and so SO amazing. Not that I hate my life now, I have a GREAT life and I am very lucky, but would I swap work, mortages, bills, general 'grown up stuff' and routine for a life travelling again? HELL YEH!
  • ElCepilloElCepillo Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a lot of fond memories and nostalgia about school, but the idea that those were the 'best days of my life' is firstly, untrue, and secondly, if it were true - would be a very depressing thought.

I'm from a small town, and when I go back I always see people I used to go to school with, I get the feeling for them those days probably were their best. They peaked in High School.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically the replies have fallen into two camps, one camp flipping loathed it and the other loved it.

Me, I loathed it, and was grateful that I was able to get round me dear ole mum and get days off quite a lot.
  • silkdragonsilkdragon Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated school and I am 64 now.
    Have to say though that bulling never existed back then, we were all in the same boat,
    by that I mean we all had nothing.