Ever worked for/with a dodgy employer/partner?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone here ever been employed by or worked with a dodgy business or business partner?

I have, and now that I know what to look out for I'll be more careful in future!

Back at the end of 2007 I'd responded to an online job ad for a company called Repair-Line Ltd, an outsource IT support contractor based in Castleford. It had been a while though, so was not expecting them to call me back for an interview.

Had I done a Google search at that point, I'd not have gone near them! Up until it was taken down, the first hit was a message board thread detailing just how dodgy the company was. There are links on the first page that'll give you an indication.
Basically the call centre was a small group of up to 8 at the max, the manager, 3 admin staff and the boss. There were also about half a dozen field techs, and two techs downstairs doing the onsite fixes.

But to their clients (well the big one at least!) they were a mid-size call centre employing around 30 staff on the phones and about a dozen field engineers.

When we got paid it was cash in hand or direct bank transfer, certainly NOT through the proper channels!
Payment was irregular, March's was 2 weeks late and one guy even walked straight after getting his wage.

Turnover was high, if they didn't like you or you did something they didn't like they'd find a way to get rid. If people didn't walk out or get a new job first.

The boss was an arsehole and his wife was the office manager and queen bitch, it was best to keep your head down. There was also junior bitch who had a case of permanent PMT! Wouldn't have kicked her out of bed though! :D

I knew it was the end when the major client (the late Mesh Computers) cancelled the contract. Was strange when the calls stopped coming through. We only got a handful of calls for our other clients, so the days got rather long and boring.
Eventually they let everyone go. Nobody (AFAIK) got paid for that last month.

During the brief time I was on warehouse duty, I went into the back room which was supposed to be the workshop. It was filled with junk and various computers in semi-functional states that belonged to customers of our client!

Repair-Line has gone now, the unit was vacant a few months after I was let go and if the bloke is in business it's under a different name. I think he tried to relaunch under PCsystmfix but people cottoned on!

It wasn't all bad though, I gained some good experience.

I just wish I'd nicked more than a hard drive...especially if I'd known I was gonna be screwed out of my last wage.

I'm sure some of you will have similar stories!