Options

Do you mind your spouse rummaging in your wallet /purse if they needed money?

Comments

• Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather be asked first but if I was not around I would not mind. I cannot think of an occasion when it has happened though
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as he tells me and I tell him later there's no problem. He works lates and wouldn't appreciate me waking him up after hes only had a couple of hours sleep to ask first thing in the morning. I just send a text so he knows.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A man's pockets however, are his own personal kingdom.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Why on Earth would somebody need to root through a partner's bag for money rather than just asking for it? :confused:
    If they weren't there and you needed to pay the window cleaner..

I can probably think of many more, but I'm sure you could have done so yourself.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    not in the slightest bit bothered. I have occasionally had to borrow money out of his wallet when he has been asleep but I tell him later and give it back to him if he so wishes. He does the same to me.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me if he does it without saying, then for instance when I go to get money for my daughter going to school I find all my £1 coins are gone. That winds me up a bit.
    Okay, a lot.:blush:
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have an issue with it at all. Me and my Partner have a joint bank account so what's mine is his and vice versa. As others have stated though, we would let each other know first just in case the money is required for something else and so that we don't think it has been lost or stolen.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He always asks first but I really don't mind him rummaging through my bag to get my purse. We too have a joint bank account (and a joint credit card) where both our salaries are paid into so what's mine is his and vice versa anyway. Some may find that a bit old fashioned but it works for us.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Why on Earth would somebody need to root through a partner's bag for money rather than just asking for it? :confused:

Personally, I do refuse to delve into the missus' handbag simply cos I prefer to respect her "personal stuff".
    If, say, she's in bed and she asks me to fetch her reading glasses out of her bag, I'll just get the bag and let her find them for herself.

It's not that I'm worried about what I might find in there (aside from manky bits of ossified wedding cake etc - why do women often seem to have a lump of cake in their bags?) but I just don't want to go rummaging through her junk.

By the same token, the missus doesn't like rummaging through my desk drawers, simply cos she's worried I'll have books with pages marked or little bags full of computer bits sorted into a specific order etc and she doesn't want to risk jumbling anything up.
    Same thing really.

See now this would annoy me. If I ask my OH for something out of my bag, I don't want my whole bag brought to me, I want the specific thing!

I have no issues with my OH going through my bag or drawers or whatever. I have nothing to hide and I know he wouldn't snoop anyway and he always asks first.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a regular conversation that drives me nuts...

"Have you got any change?"
    "Yes"
    "Where is it?"
    "In my purse"
    "Where is that?"
    "In my handbag"
    "Yes, where is your handbag?" >:(
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »

I can probably think of many more, but I'm sure you could have done so yourself.

And would the bag's owner not be there to ask? :confused:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    JulesF wrote: »
    See now this would annoy me. If I ask my OH for something out of my bag, I don't want my whole bag brought to me, I want the specific thing!

Oh, it wouldn't become annoying.

As soon as I realised you felt that way I'd tell you to get it your-f**king-self. ;-)
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Not a problem, but as others have said it would be handy if they mention it. Lost count the times I've popped into a shop for something, only to find that £20 I though I had in my wallet is now being used as a weekly bus ticket. Is a pain because I don't tend to carry a lot of cash on me.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

As soon as I realised you felt that way I'd tell you to get it your-f**king-self. ;-)

:D

We'd be a match made in heaven, clearly!
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it doesn't bother me in the slightest. We have separate accounts but he will quite often use my card. I keep 3 different tins in the kitchen for change, £1 and £2 coins and for £5. I noticed last night the £1 and £2 had been raided. :D
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Uffa wrote: »
    No it doesn't bother me in the slightest. We have separate accounts but he will quite often use my card. I keep 3 different tins in the kitchen for change, £1 and £2 coins and for £5. I noticed last night the £1 and £2 had been raided. :D

We do this I have my money jar and he had his but if I need a few quid or he does we borrow it from there and tell each other later on. He gives me his money to put into my bank account anyway so if I need to dip in I will do and then pay him back when I get paid.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember that scene in Flash Gordon where they have to stick their hands into a hollow tree stump knowing that there's a poisonous wood beast inside that could kill you painfully?

That's what it's like putting my hand in my wifes purse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    We do this I have my money jar and he had his but if I need a few quid or he does we borrow it from there and tell each other later on. He gives me his money to put into my bank account anyway so if I need to dip in I will do and then pay him back when I get paid.

The only time it really bothered me was when I was at the checkout at the supermarket with a pile of shopping, no card and only to find out my purse had been dipped that morning. :blush:. I could have killed him. He heard about it that night though. :D:D
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »

Everyone is different though and have their own things that they are comfortable with.

My OH would ask me if I were a Golden Retriever if I did that and would be bemused if I dropped her handbag on her while she is in the middle of something like rushing with the kids lunches.

Another person may be the polar opposite so any couple will and should just slip into whatever they are comfortable with.

And would the bag's owner not be there to ask? :confused:

Quite possibly, your OH has more than one handbag right? Mine has the small handbag that she uses when she goes out out (which incidentally I would never go in) and then the big handbag which is used when she goes out.

Point I think was that some people would become annoyed with it, my OH would.

Also big handbag tends to have all manner of things in it, such as TV remotes and things (1 year old). So... yeah I can see how it would become annoying.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as long as she doesn't clean me out and lets me know. Not an issue.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    been married for 20 years do you really think I'm allowed money?

got nowt to hide so she can rummage away. At the end of the day its our money, I'll never understand married or long tern partner's with split money and accounts you pay that Bill I'll pay this one ffs, its our bills our house our money, correction her money my bills.

I think I am a little bit in love with you!! lol you have the same marriage as we do...My OH is always shocked to find he has some money left in his trousers....:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm a student. If they found any money, they'd be looking in the wrong bloody purse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a student. If they found any money, they'd be looking in the wrong bloody purse.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be annoying if I opened my purse to get money for the pay & display, or a vending machine, and found that my husband had taken my change without asking. I think a word would be had!

He would ask beforehand out of courtesy though, or tell me he'd done it if it was an emergency. He'd probably offer to put the money back so as not to inconvenience me.