Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox consoles only!

Comments

• MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think after all the uproar and general hate directed at MS and SE today on their Twitter and Facebook accounts we'd know for sure if it was. ;)

Aaron Greenberg and CD corrected earlier reports that suggested it was timed exclusive and elaborated on why they entered a partnership with Microsoft, they also stressed they weren't turning their back on PS4 gamers as they still had the Definite edition and the new Lara Croft game coming out this winter. On top of that, MS were very clear in telling us which games that were making their "console debut on Xbox"., it's a full Xbox exclusive.

Edit: Here's the quote in full.
    That's hardly conclusive. For the third time, could you please direct me to some x1 exclusives that I might consider! my x1 is gathering dust!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I'm just dissapointed, Tomb Raider has always been on Playstation, so they have cut off a large part of thier fan base by choosing to go exclusive. So I think Sony fans and fans of the series will be pretty upset. I wasn't the biggest fan of the reboot, but I'm sure the sequel will build on the first and be a great game, I was really looking forward to it. Has a long running franchise ever gone exclusive before like this? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

The Beyonetta thing is interesting, because without Nintendo Beyonetta 2 wouldn't exist. So I wonder if Square Enix were in a bad enough situation to need MS money to make it. We all know they hoped for more sales, so maybe they did need the extra money. It's a good deal for XBox though.

That's the nature of the business. I remember when I was a Saturn owner back in 1996 feeling the exact same way when Sony poached Tomb Raider 2 as a full exclusive (and TR 3, along with the PS2 exclusive The Angel of Darkness). TBH it's more annoying how quick Sony fans are moan about this while they forget Playstation's own history with the franchise.

Bayonetta 2 would of existed if it weren't for Nintendo, that's just something they said, the original game sold well and was one of the top games of last generation. If Nintendo wanted to put their name to it though and help fund the game then more power to them, perhaps Bayonetta 2 wouldn't exist in the same way as it does today if it wasn't for Nintendo. Likewise with a partner like Microsoft it will mean less risk and more importantly a healthy budget and the freedom to create a game based around a single platform giving Crystal Dynamics access to all the perks of in-house studios, enabling them to push as hard as they can to make a great game.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    I don't think this is aimed at those that have already got a next gen console.

It will help make up the mind for those who are sat on the fence and haven't bought a next gen console yet. I don't think it will shift loads of consoles but it will shift some.

Next year could be very good again for Microsoft.

Halo 5, Crack Down 3, Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Fable Legends, Phantom Dust, ScaleBound.......

If they keep increasing the size of their exclusive library then it will make it very appealing to new buyers.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    It seems like a timed exclusive now doesn't it?

I guess Square Enix wouldn't want to ruin their partnership with Sony, for certain. But the last Tomb Raider game was having problems breaking even and then profiting.
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    That's hardly conclusive. For the third time, could you please direct me to some x1 exclusives that I might consider! my x1 is gathering dust!

Ah, you're one of those in denial. LOL It couldn't be any plainer. :kitty:
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    I don't think this is aimed at those that have already got a next gen console.

It will help make up the mind for those who are sat on the fence and haven't bought a next gen console yet. I don't think it will shift loads of consoles but it will shift some.

Next year could be very good again for Microsoft.

Halo 5, Crack Down 3, Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Fable Legends, Phantom Dust, ScaleBound.......

If they keep increasing the size of their exclusive library then it will make it very appealing to new buyers.

Forza Motorsport 6 will be guarenteed for next year too. Next gen Gears will be 2016 I guess. But yes, it's all looking pretty good. I missed the beginning of the Sony conference and the Bloodborne demo but afer watching it on YouTube it looks quite nice, certainly that's one key game so far that would have me interested in PS4 over the competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forza Motorsport 6 will be guarenteed for next year too. Next gen Gears will be 2016 I guess. But yes, it's all looking pretty good. I missed the beginning of the Sony conference and the Bloodborne demo but afer watching it on YouTube it looks quite nice, certainly that's one key game so far that would have me interested in PS4 over the competition.

I know I keep replying to your posts but you are quite knowledgeable about x1, I liked the look of TR but would you agree that x1 is primarily a multimedia device with gaming as opposed to a gaming device with multimedia? That seems to be how both companies are following their original design plans. TR is a good steal but obviously MS have not bought CD or it would be exculsive and shouted as such.
    I like the look of TR though
    Eta: got fed up of Gears half way through second one. More Alan Wake type things would encourage me.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,391
    Forum Member
    The people at Gametrailers & Gamespot (From 2 podcasts I watched tonight) both seem fairly certain its timing exclusive.

There reasoning on it been a timed exclusive comes from the fact that Neither MicroSoft or Crystal Dynamics are been clear on it when directly asked by gaming journalists. Apparently usually when something is a lifetime exclusive there very clear about saying it, However MS & CD are very carefully wording things 'Exclusive for 2015' rather than just 'Exclusive for XB', Those who know believe the careful wording matters.

They also both seem to believe that if it does turn out to be lifetime exclusive then its really bad for the Tomb Raider franchise, I think the Gametrailers guys put it best since they went more in depth with there reasoning from 10mins:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/vud3pc/gt-time-rise-of-the-holiday-exclusive
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say in December we're all getting lara croft and the....

Just how many tr games are they working on? Or is this lc one not tomb raider but some new line of business she's moved into ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    They say in December we're all getting lara croft and the....

Just how many tr games are they working on? Or is this lc one not tomb raider but some new line of business she's moved into ?

It s like the top dowm game that was out a while ago. Looks like Diablo.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. Don't do top down games so won't be getting that. Thanks

Oh..and on timed exclusives. I get miffed and generally say stuff you and don't buy it when it does come out. Might be a bit cut my nose off, but I get like that. Its one of the things, though not the main, that put me off cod. ..... and yeah I realise tr isnt timed. I just thought I'd mention it and how it affects us all. I loved definitive and kept the game to play again, but after that I looked at the case and thought I'd get rid of it. Don't know why. However today in the daylight I've reconsidered and keeping it.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything a timed exclusive makes sense.

SE really won't want Tomb Raider to go up against Uncharted on PS4.

Sony get to show off their baby with no distractions.

Microsoft get their "exclusive"

Everyone's a winner. Except, perhaps, the consumer. But since when did we matter?
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    As a long time lover of TR I was comprehensively disappointed with last years reboot. Lovely to look at, but tediously repetitive to play and completely destroyed with endless crappy quick time events that only twerps who can't recognise good gameplay if it pee'd on their heads could possibly have appreciated.

Unless they've got rid of those for this new one, at the very least, then I for one won't miss it in the least, and even if it does turn out to be only a timed exclusive won't be buying it under any circumstances.

Regards

Mark
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could. They could flat out say "it's a permanent exclusive and will never be on another format", which would be much plainer. Notably, they haven't.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I shall wait for the 1080p / 60fps 'Rise of The Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition' for PS4

[one million I am joking saftey winks insterted here]
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It could be a whole lot plainer, they could use the wording "Lifetime exclusive" something they have used in the past to describe Titanfall.

Bayonetta 2 which seem to be mentioned a lot as a comparison with this deal appears to be a different IMHO.

With Bayonetta 2 Nintendo paid to get the game made.
    With Tomb Raider Microsoft paid to not get the game made on a rival system.

I don't think it was ever suggested that without the money from MS Rise of the Tomb Raider wouldn't have been made, so Nintendo saved a game, MS locked one away.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but anyone who buys an Xbox One just to play TR will be playing right into MS' hands.

Those who want to play TR (like me) are better off voting with their wallets and giving both Square and MS two fingered salute! That is unless it does move to other formats!

There's a back lash for a reason on the internet. It's not just Sony lovers it's PC gamers as well. I think MS have actually harmed their image here rather than gained.

Are Square Enix really going to settle for a potential 5 million or less game sales?

Even with the money from MS I don't think so somehow!

I suspect the "holiday 2015" exclusivity period doesn't extend past 00.01am 1st January 2016!
    Forum Member
    So we boycott bought exclusives but buy timed exclusives right? Because that's ok?
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    It's not even that much of a biggie is it?

I mean if it was CoD or FIFA or Ass Creed Unity that was exclusive you could kind of get this supposed mass hysteria.

But its 'just' Tomb Raider.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we boycott bought exclusives but buy timed exclusives right? Because that's ok?

Nooo, they boycott cos it's Microsoft. Let's not kid ourselves - if it was Sony who bought the (timed) exclusive, everyone everywhere would be rejoicing.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Both are bad for gamers...
    Forum Member
    With AAA development costs so high, I don't blame Square Enix to take the financial benefits.

The title will probably profit very easily now, but not via actual sales.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Both are bad for gamers...

Exactly.

How far do we go?

Boycott destiny and call of duty for having exclusive/timed DLC?

How about no man sky for being timed?

Maybe fifa for having legends on xbox?

Nobody gives a damn, if its good, they'll buy it. Both companies are throwing money around for content, exclusivity and timed releases .Unfortunately for Sony Microsofts pockets are deep.
    Forum Member
    AAA exclusives from big publishers are expensive though, so there is a limit. It's not really the same are seeking out individual development studios to produce a title from scratch.

You can bet that for every PS4 sold, Microsoft has to cut a bigger cheque to EA for Titanfall exclusivity
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    With Bayonetta 2 Nintendo paid to get the game made.
    With Tomb Raider Microsoft paid to not get the game made on a rival system.

How do you figure that exactly? When CD said themselves they partnered up with MS due to the opportunity it allows the franchise.