Options

Corrie Stars facing the axe?

OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Found this on another forum (not sure if i'm allowed to post the link here but if you want it just pm me :))

Anyway, I doubt its 100% true but I thought i'd post it because I can't see it mentioned anywhere else.

Take it with a pinch of salt guys....
Coronation Street is set to axe up to 7 of its biggest stars in a massive cast clearout. A source said: "Corrie currently has around 70 regular cast members and we've just introduced a new family so some character are just not getting enough screentime." Of those rumoured to be facing the axe are: Peter Armitige (Bill Webster), Tupele Dorgu (Kelly Crabtree), Zaraah Abrahams (Joanne Jackson), Jayne Tunnicliffe (Yana Lumb), Ian Reddington (Vernon Tomlin), Nikki Patel (Amber Kalirai) and Wanda Opalinska (Wiki Dankowska).

Corrie is also set to lose Sean Gallagher (Paul Connor), Rupert Hill (Jamie Baldwin), Tina O'Brian (Sarah Platt), Jenny Patt (Violet Wilson) and Wendi Peters (Cilla Battersby-Brown) later this year.

We can also confirm that former The Bill actress Connie Hyde will be joining the cast later this year as Dina Granger, the elder sister of current cast member Becky Granger (Kate Kelly).

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hardly call those the "biggest stars"
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I hope it's true, because I will not miss any of those mentioned.
  • Options
    TheStreetTheStreet Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Found this on another forum (not sure if i'm allowed to post the link here but if you want it just pm me :))

Anyway, I doubt its 100% true but I thought i'd post it because I can't see it mentioned anywhere else.

Coronation Street is set to axe up to 7 of its biggest stars in a massive cast clearout. A source said: "Corrie currently has around 70 regular cast members and we've just introduced a new family so some character are just not getting enough screentime." Of those rumoured to be facing the axe are: Peter Armitige (Bill Webster), Tupele Dorgu (Kelly Crabtree), Zaraah Abrahams (Joanne Jackson), Jayne Tunnicliffe (Yana Lumb), Ian Reddington (Vernon Tomlin), Nikki Patel (Amber Kalirai) and Wanda Opalinska (Wiki Dankowska).

Corrie is also set to lose Sean Gallagher (Paul Connor), Rupert Hill (Jamie Baldwin), Tina O'Brian (Sarah Platt), Jenny Patt (Violet Wilson) and Wendi Peters (Cilla Battersby-Brown) later this year.

We can also confirm that former The Bill actress Connie Hyde will be joining the cast later this year as Dina Granger, the elder sister of current cast member Becky Granger (Kate Kelly).

If it's true (unlikely) then I'd be upset to see a few names in there go, particularly
    Bill, Amber and Wiki
    who I think are very strong characters right now. I also thought that the rumours about
    Jenny Platt (Violet)
    were false and a new contract had been signed. I'd hate for this character to go as well.

I wouldn't miss the others though. And if anyone, it should be The Mortons who are axed. I know they haven't been there long but they really are the most irritating, useless, quite frankly appalling set of characters I have had the displeasure to watch in a very long time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    ye i agree - cant stand any of them!

and the thing about violet was posted on here a while ago - but i thought they said it wasn't true... ?

the others that are set to be axed (not leaving) i couldn't care less about
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,786
    Forum Member
    Well we already know Joanne is leaving so thats true.

Bill has only recently returned and works well with Audrey so I don't want him to go, Amber is very underused and has potential and Wiki seems like a decent character. Hope Kelly goes and I could live without Vernon and Violet. Its hard to see what they can do with Yana once Cilla goes
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cathy from the bill to join - YES!!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,786
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote:
    Cathy from the bill to join - YES!!!! :D
    Is that who she played? If so she should be good. Actually looks like she could be Beckys sister as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that who she played? If so she should be good. Actually looks like she could be Beckys sister as well

Yeh that's what I think - especially if she still has the blonde hair
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NOOOOOOOOO not Amber!

She is SOOO underused. And I quite like her. I think this is made up anyway.
  • Options
    alxnealxne Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    Vernon must stay :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ThaGazBoi wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOO not Amber!

She is SOOO underused. And I quite like her. I think this is made up anyway.

Who is Amber?? Vernon should definately stay!!
  • Options
    Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep Amber, get Vermin out! :mad:
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote:
    Who is Amber??

Dev's daughter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh right - never knew her name. She's ok - she's funny with Dev
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's hardly been in it. She joined in late 2005 and must have been in what- 20 episodes at the most?
  • Options
    kindguykindguy Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Its Eastenders actors who need the axe!
  • Options
    ShamelessnessShamelessness Posts: 2,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Amber stays. If they axe her though, she'd be great as Preeti's sister in EastEnders. Also, Connie Hyde looks just like Katherine Kelly!
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    7 of its biggest stars?! :rolleyes: Most of them are minor characters. You'd hardly notice if they weren't there, they don't get much to do as it is!
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly, Amber, Bill & Wiki should stay.

Joanne's already going though, so is this an old article or new?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Still no mention of ********* :mad:
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I know. ******** should be axed IMO - well passed his sell by date, especially with Cilla on the way out. I'd like to see Kirk and Fiz move into No.5 coping with a new baby, marriage and the growing Chesney
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What will getting rid of Amber achieve? Why not have her become the girlfriend of the Morton lad (name escapes me) and increase her screentime. If she goes Dev will have nothing to do. Axe LES finally, for god's sake.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Devs daughter Amber seems to have been sidelined since he took Molly on in the shop.
    Maybe thats why they put Molly there to get rid of her.

I mean the shop hardly needs 3 staff it only gets about 2 customers a day lol..

Noticed how nobody mentions Freshco any more lol..

LaineyT
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alxne wrote:
    Vernon must stay :mad:
    Quoted For Truth.

Bone-idle Vernon, is currently, one of the street legends.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quoted For Truth.

Bone-idle Vernon, is currently, one of the street legends.

Yes, I love Vernon too