Has the controller lost control of Radio 2?

Absolutely disgusted especially in light of the suicide comments made by Ross and Brand at the weekend?

Undoubtedly these two were out of control but the fact that the show was apparently recorded and still managed to make it to air beggers belief.

Especially when you look at all the deception issues that went on during her watch on Six Music...

Isn't it about time Leslie Douglas took some responsibility...

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show was recorded for airing on 18/10/08. The production company knew of this, but still let it go to air.

It's disgraceful what these both did too Andrew Sachs. It's mis management with in Lesley Douglas team at Radio 2. The problem will stop at the controllers door, but as there are different departments someone will need to be accountable?
  • Over By Yer!Over By Yer! Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also time for that idiot Brand to take some responsibility for his actions.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    As I have said in another post about those two idiots Brand and Ross, come on Lesley, bring DLT to Radio 2 on Saturday 10am-1pm and extend Bob Harris 10pm-1am.

Shame on you and the BBC if you don't.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Has the controller lost control of Radio 2 ? Definitely not. She never had any control to lose.
    The station needs a controller who treats it as a music station, not as a forum for overpaid presenters with massive egos and little interest in music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Has the controller lost control of Radio 2 ? Definitely not. She never had any control to lose.
    The station needs a controller who treats it as a music station, not as a forum for overpaid presenters with massive egos and little interest in music.

Well said that man.

I tuned into R2 the other evening and found RB chatting to someone I had never heard of. Nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't about music, and it wasn't 'new comedy'. Just uninteresting prattle. And it went on for about 5 minutes, then I retuned.

Sack him, I say.

And her.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,873
    Forum Member
    KennyKeen wrote: »
    Well said that man.

I tuned into R2 the other evening and found RB chatting to someone I had never heard of. Nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't about music, and it wasn't 'new comedy'. Just uninteresting prattle. And it went on for about 5 minutes, then I retuned.

Sack him, I say.

And her.

Why should it be about music, Radio 2's remit is to offer entertaining popular music programmes and speech-based content including news, current affairs, documentaries, religion, arts, comedy, readings and social action output.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stimulating creativity and cultural excellence

* 40% of music in daytime from UK acts
    (Daytime is defined as 06.00–19.00 hours Monday–Friday and 08.00–14.00 hours Saturday–Sunday.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/statements2008/radio/radio2.shtml

Seems like a great excuse for the BBC to save money and sack both of the useless overhyped cretins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluenile wrote: »
    Seems like a great excuse for the BBC to save money and sack both of the cretins.

At a cost to the corporation?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Does Russell Brand appeal to anyone over the age of 35?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    At a cost to the corporation?

If they are proven to be in gross breach of their contracts (and I would suggest that this is an example of a gross breach of producer guidelines) then it shouldn't cost a penny.
    Whether they would actually have the balls to do anything is a different subject entirely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Errrr... not me!!
  • cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm 44.

G
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,476
    Forum Member
    A controller doesn't get to preview every programme on the channel they cannot micro-manage to that extent. The production of a programme is delegated to a production team or company, if there's a lack of judgement (of which this was) or some other problem with a programme then the buck stops at them.

If the item itself was greenlighted by the controller or senior management or they were directly responsible for a lack of training or similar then those higher up are responsible
  • PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, me. I'm 52.
    And my parents - 73 & 78.

Sorry, but the OP (and his apologists) has entirely missed the point.
    Radio 4's 'Start the Week' is a bit above me, therefore I choose not to listen rather than call the presenter an idiot.
    If you don't understand Brand's I'm-intelligent-really-but-don't-let-the-thickos-know, er, brand of humour then you're probably just a...

...different type of comedy fan.
  • PaulEvansDorsetPaulEvansDorset Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to be the most intelligent listener that a radio station has, listen to one of the bland commercial brands.
    Personally, I prefer to be below a station's maximum listener IQ than above it, which is why we have the BBC.
    Forum Member
    If you want to be the most intelligent listener that a radio station has, listen to one of the bland commercial brands.
    Personally, I prefer to be below a station's maximum listener IQ than above it, which is why we have the BBC.

Yes sure, if you say so.
    Forum Member

Which of these stations has the most intelligent programming and presenters - Jazz FM, Smooth Radio or Radio 2 ?
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea. But I know that neither Lesley Douglas, Jonathan Ross nor Russell Brand are Bolsheviks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the other stuff on Radio 2 is OK. It does also give a good advert to abolish the licence fee if it's allowed to continue having these clowns on the radio network?

Oh yeah maybe Wossy will complain on his wadio show this weekend about the message boards? Sorry are we not allowed to complain?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    One things for sure, there will be a hell of a lot more listeners to his show this Saturday.

Spin Spin Spin... Andrew Sachs and his grandaughter were in on this I have no doubt.. raises there profiles too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I very much doubt Andrew Sachs a mild mannered 83 year old actor was in on 'the gag' about Ross f**king his grand daughter.

As for the many more listeners to the show this weekend, I'd be very surprised if the BBC won't suspend the programmes for a while.

The Guardian has just reported tonight that that 1,500 complaints have been made which must be a record for the BBC and this certainly doesn't bode well especially as it's been rumoured that a police complaint could be on the way too.

I believe the former controller of BBC1 was forced out for a lot less than 1,500 complaints (ok one was the Queen) so I'm not putting money on this going away soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Why should it be about music, Radio 2's remit is to offer entertaining popular music programmes and speech-based content including news, current affairs, documentaries, religion, arts, comedy, readings and social action output.

Maybe it fits within the station's remit (I haven't read it), but to my simple mind R2 is a music station, and one that's aimed at adults.

We have R1 and 1xtra for the younger audiences. And 6music which bridges the gap to some extent.

R2 should be about music for adults. Most of the time it is, and mostly it does it very well. RB does not belong there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, Radio 2 died the day James Moir was appointed its controller and from then on got rid of the "easy listening" feel of the station in favour of presenters more suited to Radio 1, such as Chris Evans, Russell Brand and Dermot O'Leary. The BBC, as a public service broadcaster, shouldn't have touched Brand with a barge pole given his BB associations but they still employed him and now have ended up with their fingers well and truly burnt.
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,476
    Forum Member
    GH Online wrote: »
    The BBC, as a public service broadcaster, shouldn't have touched Brand with a barge pole given his BB associations.

Eh? What does having been involved with Big Brother have to do with anything?