Options

STEAM Really Is Quite Rubbish, Isn't It?

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
I'm in France for the holiday, and I've had a ridiculous time trying to buy stuff from Steam. All my bank accounts are linked to UK addresses, and Steam don't accept that.

So I emailed them (having had to set up yet another username/password with them as my normal Steam account apparently isn't linked to Steam Support. WTF is that all about?).

Eventually I get a reply saying "We have removed the lock on your account - you will now be able to complete additional purchases" and giving me a link to use when at the checkout.

All goes fine, although I'm forced to use an online banking system that only takes money from my current account. Oh, and it exited the browser for some weird reason.

So about ten minutes later I want to buy another game.

I go through the exact same set-up before but this time when I want to check-out I receive the following message:

"There has been an internal error initializing your transaction. Please contact support for assistance."

I spend a lot of time in France and have made loads of purchases online, both from mainland Europe, the US and the UK and I have never had this sort of problem before with an online company.

If the game I wanted wasn't cheap and in the sale they could poke their company where the sun don't shine.

Steam is a great idea. In practice it's a complete joke.

Comments

• Options
    Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Steam to be quite good actually.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Never had any problems. i have 190 odd games on there There. Sales are amazing.
  • Options
    Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Never had any problems. i have 190 odd games on there There. Sales are amazing.

Quoted for truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quoted for truth.

there just so good you end paying loads.

But I have to say they saved PC gaming really. Its amazing when game comes out at like 12am then becuase you all ready pre purchased it you downloaded night before so instantly you can play.
  • Options
    frailfuryfrailfury Posts: 7,222
    Forum Member
    Paypal?

Don't get why you're having a problem....buy from the UK steam store?? With your UK card?
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Never had any problems with Steam, always go through PayPal myself and everything is super smooth. Steam is great, if you're having problems you must be messing up somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    frailfury wrote: »
    Paypal?

Don't get why you're having a problem....buy from the UK steam store?? With your UK card?

Because I'm in France my IP address is also in France, and because I'm physically in France and my billing address is in the UK it won't let me purchase.

It's pretty pathetic, tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Never had any problems with Steam, always go through PayPal myself and everything is super smooth. Steam is great, if you're having problems you must be messing up somewhere.

No. I've done a search. It's a really common problem, especially for people trying to buy when they're in countries that are different to the one on their billing address. e.g. if you were a foreign exchange student and had gone to Japan for three months. Your billing address would be in the UK but your IP address would be Japan. You wouldn't be allowed to buy from Steam.

Crazy system.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    No. I've done a search. It's a really common problem, especially for people trying to buy when they're in countries that are different to the one on their billing address. e.g. if you were a foreign exchange student and had gone to Japan for three months. Your billing address would be in the UK but your IP address would be Japan. You wouldn't be allowed to buy from Steam.

Crazy system.

That sounds like one of their account protection schemes, to stop say anyone hacking your account in another country and charging a load of money for games on your credit card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    That sounds like one of their account protection schemes, to stop say anyone hacking your account in another country and charging a load of money for games on your credit card.

I figured it might be something like that but it does make it annoying for people wanting to buy.

Anyways, my transaction has gone through now :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :yawn:

Taking forever to download now.

101 KB/s

:sleep:
  • Options
    Funky_TomatoFunky_Tomato Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :yawn:

Taking forever to download now.

101 KB/s

:sleep:

Change download region to max your speed out .

Click on $n@ke's post twoards the bottom of the page on the link below and look at the spoiler ;)

http://www.nfohump.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52087&start=1770

or view the pic directly http://i.imgur.com/G9Aph.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member

:Dlol:D

In all fairness, I think it's just my crappy download speed from being in crappy backwater France :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Change download region to max your speed out .

Haha! That's genius, it really works as well. I just bought Medal of Honor for 50% off, was getting around 30kbps on the London and Manchester servers, it's currently at 1.3mbps from the Ukraine:D
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought around 10 games and had no issues with any of them, Steam is awesome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Haha! That's genius, it really works as well. I just bought Medal of Honor for 50% off, was getting around 30kbps on the London and Manchester servers, it's currently at 1.3mbps from the Ukraine:D

Yep worked for me too on my Team Fortress 2 classic download which I was getting 21KB/s from London and about 70KB/s from Manchester. Switched it to Poland and I'm getting 783.6 KB/s, almost maxing out my 8 MB connection :)

Bought the GTA IV pack yesterday and that's over 32GB between GTAIV & EFLC so this fix will be handy :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    19 hours later and C&C3 Tiberium Wars has nearly finished downloading!

whoop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep worked for me too on my Team Fortress 2 classic download which I was getting 21KB/s from London and about 70KB/s from Manchester. Switched it to Poland and I'm getting 783.6 KB/s, almost maxing out my 8 MB connection :)

Bought the GTA IV pack yesterday and that's over 32GB between GTAIV & EFLC so this fix will be handy :)

Except GTA4 is a terrible PC port and you'll probably get 4-7fps regardless of your system specs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Leeham wrote: »
    Except GTA4 is a terrible PC port and you'll probably get 4-7fps regardless of your system specs.

Your going bit over the top there anyone with a quad core 2gb+ ram and decent graphics card would get about 30fps max settings. The game was improved a lot since the launch of the episodes and a patch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have them both already (pirated) and get about 63 FPS on GTA IV. Also have EFLC but have not played it much, but it as it was such a pain the ass stopping the social club element, for £6.25 it was a bargain :) Completed GTA IV but as I never had a legit copy at the time I never got the MS points credit for it:) Brilliant game and well worth the cash for a game that cost over $100 million to develop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Your going bit over the top there anyone with a quad core 2gb+ ram and decent graphics card would get about 30fps max settings. The game was improved a lot since the launch of the episodes and a patch.

Just google 'GTA4 poor performance' and you'll still see endless people with amazingly expensive rigs getting nowhere near 20fps.
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just google 'GTA4 poor performance' and you'll still see endless people with amazingly expensive rigs getting nowhere near 20fps.
    You could say that for any game. 99% of PC owners that meet the specs will get fine performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stardog wrote: »
    You could say that for any game. 99% of PC owners that meet the specs will get fine performance.

Every game isn't ported so piss poorly though, you can't get around it - it just was poorly done.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They fixed it all in update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5148/gtaivf.png

That's with an i5 750 4GB RAM and a GTX 275 on standard 2.66 GHZ so not overclocked (the amount of FPS gained overclocking isn't worth the extra electricity usage anyway) so a middle of the road rig. OK the settings may not be at the highest, but it's plenty good enough for me. The game has certainly been optimised and runs beautifully on my rig.