Options

Have you ever lost a close friend, or ended a friendship?

JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why, and how did you cope with it?

I was recently in this situation over something quite minor, and the damage done since is now irreparable. I actually feel quite sad about it, because obviously it isn't as easy to just 'make new friends' especially as you get older.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Is it really too late though?

I've had situations like this in the past where a friendship has got to the point where it could never be saved, but we sorted stuff out and all is good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ended a 25 year friendship, because she did something unforgivable to a mutual friend of ours. It was really hard at the time but I know it was the right thing to do.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Yes, I have. A few years ago, I actually ended a 10 year friendship which had turned toxic. I know that my ex friend had problems, but she stretched our friendship too far.

I haven't spoken to her for 8 or 9 years, and I do feel sad that our friendship ended the way it did, but I know for certain that breaking up with her was the right thing to do.
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two in the last five years, one because he went to University and suddenly I was just relegated to the back-up option and the other one I'd rather not say, but I do miss him a lot.
  • Options
    EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was friends with my Best friend since year 7 til year 10 then i became ill and off school for ages and we lost touch :(

I also ended my friendships with a group after they started really nasty rumors and emotionally bullying me they were the cause of my illness (depression)

still im at college now and have some actual proper friends
    Im 17 and i do find it hard to make friends since what happened
  • Options
    Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently ended a toxic friendship. Its tough, but was fed up of bring ground down and belittled by this friend.

I am glad that I have done it, I feel much better about myself and life :)
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost my closest friend when she died ... we had been friends for over 30 years :(
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lost contact with a good friend we have just drifted apart, I havnt spoken to her for about 18 months.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ended my friendship with my best friend of ten years, in December. We just drifted apart and he just began to irritate me intensely (and I can guess that I did him too). The last few years, the only time we ever seen or heard from each other was when we wanted to go out drinking. And then he'd spend the whole night bitching about people (my sister at one point) and just constantly being negative & bringing me down. I had to take quite a few shots before I could tolerate his inane babbling by the end.
    We stopped the friendship by e-mail, telling each other how we felt & that we didn't really think of each other as best mates anymore.
    I do still miss him & am finding myself sometimes replaying certain memories in my head. But I wouldn't want to be around him again - besides, too much was said and done at the end that it would also be quite irreparable.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    I lost my closest friend when she died ... we had been friends for over 30 years :(

I'm sorry to hear that :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to deal with the fact that my best friend from secondary school is not interested in me at all anymore. That's life I guess. :(
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    I ended a 25 year friendship, because she did something unforgivable to a mutual friend of ours. It was really hard at the time but I know it was the right thing to do.

:(

It wasn't such a long friendship, but I ended a friendship after a close friend broke up another mutual friend's marriage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I ended a couple of friendships in the last couple of years:

In September 2011 I ended a 2 year friendship with one guy as he was using me to give him lifts all the time despite him having a car of his own and wasn't giving me petrol money or anything so I had to draw a line there.

A year later I ended 2 more friendships. One guy I was friends with for 17 years. I had to end that one because he accused me of being gay with another friend of mine all because I wouldn't take him for a game of pool as I already made plans to go with my other friend to Bristol for a day out so I had to end my 17 year friendship there. The other guy I was friends with for 3 years who had recently split up with his girlfriend (whom I'm also close friends with) was acting like an idiot but being drunk in my car and putting my life in danger and also making me give two slappers a lift to some bar in Cardiff. That friendship ended when I grassed him up to his now ex girlfriend for the way he was behaving that night. He came into my workplace (where his ex also works) and started attacking her and making threats to me (although I'd finished my shift then, I was told about it by my friend who defended me). Those two friendships ended the same week but I'm not bothered at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ended a 10 year friendship it was hard but she turned into a person I really didnt like, I missed her every day because we were so close but it was the right decision, its been 7 years now since we last spoke and while I still do miss her friendship Ive moved on with other friends, thats relationships in general I think you mourne the lose of the friendship but then other people come into your life to replace that lost friendship.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only once. I am very careful who I let close, so it is not a situation that has arisen much. But yes. I ran a large, thriving branch of a national charity and someone was my "right hand woman". We did everything together - our kids became close friends, as well. But... I started to get concerned about how much she drank, and began to realise it was affecting her decisions - esp after her employers "let her go", supposedly for restructuring but I started to suspect, for other reasons. She wasn't stealing money or doing anything like that, but I'd get told things by mutual friends, that she'd said to them and they were just... really odd. I started to think she was a loose canon, and the only way for me to cut her adrift was to cut myself adrift, and carefully ease someone more suitable than her into my place (as she was the natural choice for the next leader of the group, yet I felt all my hard work building it would go under, if an alkie was in charge).

As time went on, I found it impossible to work with her anymore, and yet with more time on her hands, she was around even more. I really got on with her husband and kids, and so was in a difficult position but did eventually, cut all ties. I felt sad for my kids and her's as they had played together a lot, and become really good friends. But the situation was untenable.

I did manage to manoeuvre the person I wanted into the top job behind me, but she stayed in the group and fairly active. I had, just before I left, organised a national conference and heard afterwards that it went off successfully and she took all the credit. That was a bit hard.

But I couldnt cope with her boozing and how it made her say and do things that weren't right for the group. And although she was my friend, I knew, just knew, I couldn't intervene with that or help her stop.

I have also been involved in the acrimonious break up of another group, but in that case the troublesome person was never a friend or anyone I liked and I had no qualms about cutting them adrift.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Lost many of my friends due to the breakdown of my marriage. Friends I'd been close to for over twenty years suddenly disappeared from my life. Very sad at the time, but I've moved on. Some of the friends have since tried to make contact but it just hasn't worked out for one reason or another.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After giving the same woman another chance after I'd heard she'd gossiped about me - I had to walk away for a second time.

She'd been moaning about Christmas and having to buy for her grandchildren, thats bad enough from someone who thinks nothing of spending her benefits on daily trips to teashops and thinking nothing of buying coffee and cake at £5 a go. She also buys top of the range clothes and shoes, goes without nothing she wants basically.

Her son had announced he was expecting his 3rd baby and she was fuming, said she wished the baby would abhort so she wouldnt have another birthday present and another Christmas present to buy each year!

This after I'd suggested ages ago that she limit the costs to a small present each - a book for example doesn't cost much does it?

I was so disgusted with her attitude and wishing an unborn baby dead - that I walked away and will never ever go back.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, twice.

First time I was 10 yrs old, and it was my best friend and next door neighbour since we were toddlers. Another friend and I did something stupid which hurt her emotionally, and I was too ashamed to ever talk to her again. It was easy back then to move on because we were so young, went to different schools and had other friends nearby.

Second time was a year ago. A good internet friend and I just drifted apart after 11 years. We had both supported each other tremendously through difficult times, but it got to the point where I felt he was making things up for attention, and I was always the one who had to make contact. Where we were once very close and warm, he just became so cold and distant over the last couple of years. We had previously stopped contacting each other for about 6 months, when I contacted him to let him know of a change of email address, as I just didn't want to let go. Within a few weeks it was back to the same old same old, and I just felt the friendship had become toxic and it was finally time to end it. I'd given him a second chance and it hadn't worked out. We haven't been in touch now for 14 months and I've no intentions of ever going back again.

If you're still feeling sad about it, OP, then perhaps there's a chance you can make up?
  • Options
    cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes ended a couple of friendships and looking back wish i'd been completely honest and had a go at them and told them why they were pissing me off. I assumed if i did they would be furious and it would culminate in a terrible row which i wanted to avoid at all costs but realise now i don't actually know how they would have reacted and what they would have said and maybe we could have worked it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a friend end a 15 year friendship on Saturday. I was going for a drink with a mutual friend and someone in the group had apparently slept with someone my ex-friend was on a date with over a year ago. Apparently despite not talking to this girl it was guilt by association.

I don't really have advice on how to cope, I will say that other friends will be there and you'll make more. What you have to decide is whether the friend is worth fighting for.

Personally, I'm almost 40 and my friends acting like they are in the playground and want someone to be kept away because they can't cope with it when they chose to go to a gig where the other would be, well, I can't be arsed.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had many, many friendships either fizzle out, or end due to a big argument/we ended up hating each other.

You get over it after a while... until the next time!
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear that :(

Yes it was sad she died of a brain tumour ... her husband met another woman a few months after. He then started saying that he never loved my friend and would have left her for this new woman if she had been alive. Why would anyone say that about his dead wife? I now have nothing to do with him or his children ... I do feel guilty about the children because my friend asked me look out for them. He has disowned his son now and married this woman but I don't think he has an easy life with this woman, so what comes around ....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friend 1 - I got fed up with how she was treating me and I had enough. She blew hot and cold/moody and was bossy. She bad mouthed everyone we knew and got sick of her negativity.

Another one was an internet friend who used me to pass the time at work then when she got a new job, dropped me. She tried to make excuses and was awkward when we met the second time when I travelled from Scotland to Surrey to meet her. She also cba to see me when visiting Scotland.

Then two years later added me on Facebook, I accepted.

She was the type to show how pissed she got with her friends, so was very boring anyway. Now I live down south, she didn't want to meet up either.

I then dropped her from Facebook - it felt good doing that!
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fell out with a good platonic friend a couple of years ago. Things happened and things were said - mainly on social media sites - and subsequently we haven't spoken to each other at all in twelve months, despite working in the same office.

I alternate between really disliking him and mourning the friendship we had. I wouldn't say I am over it - but am slowly getting there. Its when I just feel indifferent towards him - which I currently do about 40% of the time - that I will know that I am there.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i lost a soulmate to death last september, i`m still crying about it every day, i think that`s how it goes until you accept it really.