Emma Watson's UN Speech. HeForShe

kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
Forum Member
I have read the transcript of this speech and I think that Emma touched on some important topics of gender inequality and what we can all do to help the cause.

What did you think of it and why?

If someone would like to post a link or video that would be great.

Comments

• Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's currently getting trolled to death for giving that speech. The usual...leaked nude photos, rape threats

*sigh*
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    She's currently getting trolled to death for giving that speech. The usual...leaked nude photos, rape threats

*sigh*

It's disgusting and sadly reinforces the issue of misogyny being a very real thing and not just in obviously patriarchal societies either.
    Forum Member
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    It's disgusting and sadly reinforces the issue of misogyny being a very real thing and not just in obviously patriarchal societies either.

Oh, I'm sure the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell you it's all feminism's fault and that you really shouldn't worry your pretty little head about it.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

*sigh*

Indeed - They hide behind the anonymity of the internet and try to demean a young woman who stood up in front of the world and gave her opinion on a serious subject with openness and passion. What incredibly sad and small people they are - how little we should listen to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    It definitely needs to be something people discuss, especially with the likes of Sam Pepper thinking it's fine to peddle ass-grabbing videos on YouTube. It's ok though, because he was pinching random women's backsides as a joke, it's comedy. Except that it's not funny, and can encourage other idiots into thinking it's ok to do this.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Can anyone give a summary?
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised in the slightest. You have to be pretty brave to step out and do a speech on gender inequality with the internet being the savage beast it is. Good luck to her.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How come when Emma Watson gets trolled on the internet it's misogyny and the patriarchy, but when it happened to Andy Murray last week it wasn't misandry?
    Because of the anonymous nature of the internet it can be impossible to tell the gender of the person trolling, after all one of the people sent to prison for abusing the woman who campaigned for putting Jane Austin on our banknotes was in fact a woman herself.

Its a shame that women such as Emma need to keep clarifying what feminism is actually meant to be because there are others who have subverted it, those others being the feminists who have taken issue with Emma because they don't think men can really be feminists.
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    How come when Emma Watson gets trolled on the internet it's misogyny and the patriarchy, but when it happened to Andy Murray last week it wasn't misandry?
    Because of the anonymous nature of the internet it can be impossible to tell the gender of the person trolling, after all one of the people sent to prison for abusing the woman who campaigned for putting Jane Austin on our banknotes was in fact a woman herself.

Its a shame that women such as Emma need to keep clarifying what feminism is actually meant to be because there are others who have subverted it, those others being the feminists who have taken issue with Emma because they don't think men can really be feminists.

Misogyny and patriarchal thinking is not only limited to men.

Can you show me a single tweet that threatens Andy Murray with rape for his views?

I agree with what you say about the view of some feminists that men can't be feminists but this is what this whole campaign is about and it doesn't ostracise either sex.

Call me crazy but I am hopeful that this could help with enough backing. There are many men nowadays who are quite happy to go against the stereotype of being a man and I hope this reaches out to them.
    Forum Member
    Can anyone give a summary?

Gender inequality is not only about women but about the way that boys and men think or are forced to think to be considered 'manly' by society, it's about the changing the stereotypes of what a man or a woman is.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In fairness there is stuff about Ms Watson being a "**** like all women" and threats of leaked nudes, rape etc. Andy Murray was mainly berated about stuff completely irrelevant to his gender.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad she's grown her hair long again. She looks much prettier than she did with her boyish cut.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misogyny and patriarchal thinking is not only limited to men.

Can you show me a single tweet that threatens Andy Murray with rape for his views?
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    In fairness there is stuff about Ms Watson being a "**** like all women" and threats of leaked nudes, rape etc. Andy Murray was mainly berated about stuff completely irrelevant to his gender.

Isn't trolling and abuse, just trolling and abuse, the nature usually is governed by the target, men have had rape threats on twitter too. It's not necessarily because the offender is a mysogynist that they mention rape, it's because they are a terrible person which means they don't see a problem with using it as a threat. With Murray we saw that Dunblane was mentioned, that was because it was the harshest thing the person could think of that was personal to Andy.

The purpose of trolling is to get a reaction, they will use threats and abuse that will get them that; something like "your hair looks crap" won't really cut it so they go as vicious and evil as they can. It is also worth considering how few people actually do it so we need let's keep things in perspective.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    It definitely needs to be something people discuss, especially with the likes of Sam Pepper thinking it's fine to peddle ass-grabbing videos on YouTube. It's ok though, because he was pinching random women's backsides as a joke, it's comedy. Except that it's not funny, and can encourage other idiots into thinking it's ok to do this.

To be fair, Pepper's video partner has disassociated himself from it & I think he's lost a contract or two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deliberately misquoting Edmund Burke was dumb. At least I hope it was deliberate.
    Forum Member
    I'm glad she's grown her hair long again. She looks much prettier than she did with her boyish cut.

I see what you did there.

Now how about signing the pledge :)

http://www.heforshe.org/#take-action
    Forum Member
    Red John wrote: »
    Deliberately misquoting Edmund Burke was dumb. At least I hope it was deliberate.

I am sure it was - but I don't see why it is dumb... just because something has become almost a cliche doesn't mean it isn't valid.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't trolling and abuse, just trolling and abuse, the nature usually is governed by the target, men have had rape threats on twitter too. It's not necessarily because the offender is a mysogynist that they mention rape, it's because they are a terrible person which means they don't see a problem with using it as a threat. With Murray we saw that Dunblane was mentioned, that was because it was the harshest thing the person could think of that was personal to Andy.

The purpose of trolling is to get a reaction, they will use threats and abuse that will get them that; something like "your hair looks crap" won't really cut it so they go as vicious and evil as they can. It is also worth considering how few people actually do it so we need let's keep things in perspective.
    You definitely have a point in there. While I think "the world will see she's a **** like all women" (paraphrasing but generally accurate I think) is inarguably a form of misogynist abuse, it's fair to question how deep that motivation runs and is there a true misogynist behind it or someone doing their best just to offend in the worst way possible?

I think there's a germ of truth to the notion that these people are out there on the internet peddling their sexist bile, but at the same time it is vastly overblown to suit the agenda of the moment and the rotten microscopic minority is far too often paraded as the ongoing standard.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,960
    Forum Member
    She is a very good public speaker. :) She definitely touched on some important issues.
    The people complaining about it need to realise that she wasn't just talking about the rights of women, she was talking about the rights of men, also.

I have a lot of time for Emma Watson. She's a smart young lady.

*sigh*

What is wrong with people?! The threat of nude photographs is one thing, but rape?

Evil people.

Exactly.
    Forum Member
    Red John wrote: »

It wasn't dumb it was deliberate in a speech about gender equality. Wouldn't exactly make sense to say it just about men would it?
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great speech

she sounded very nervous though
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Now how about signing the pledge :)

http://www.heforshe.org/#take-action

I personally don't see the point. I would take action against violence and discrimination anyway. Clicking or not clicking a button on a website won't change that.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Why is it that when a bunch of tossers insult a woman it somehow "proves" that misogyny and sexism and feminism are a big deal but the same doesn't appear to be true if a man gets similar abuse from radical feminists?

Seems, to me, that you're always going to have some men who think that women belong in the kitchen just as you're always going to get some women who think all men should be castrated.

Those people don't really "prove" anything except that some people are tossers.