Major artists without a signature song.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Brown.

Had TONS of average/minor sized hit worldwide but never had that big #1, multi-platinum song.
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet Jackson

She's had hit singles in the UK, but she's never had a big signature hit like Michael, Kylie, Whitney, Britney and Madonna. The closest she's come is Together Again, but I'm not even sure that's one.

I'd say that is the best example in the thread - she's had countless hits but like you said none that people really talk about. If I had to pick one, I'd possibly even put 'What Have You Done for Me Lately' as more notable as it's more aggressive and in your face whereas 'Together Again' sold loads but was very anonymous and generic pop dance.

Difficult to find examples because so many artists have a really huge hit to start their career and put them on the map. These initial hits have to be memorable to break the mould.

How about Mariah Carey? Apart from her Christmas hit all of her songs are pretty forgettable - noticeable that the UK only put her covers at no.1.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    How about Mariah Carey? Apart from her Christmas hit all of her songs are pretty forgettable - noticeable that the UK only put her covers at no.1.
    Is one signature song not enough? All I Want For Christmas Is You is one of the best selling singles of all time (and yes, in the UK too). I would say her only other signature song is Hero. Without You if you want to count covers. We Belong Together always seems like a plausible choice... I only seriously listened to it a few years ago, but I instantly recognized it from its hit days.
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »

I mentioned her too, though I do think she's had loads of hits. One of the classics is the cover of Without You which did quite well I think, but again it's a cover. I can think of tons of her songs (Honey, Butterfly, Fantasy, Heartbreaker, We Belong Together etc) but not one specifically that characterises her.

I agree about Janet Jackson, however I have to say I don't remember her being that successful in the UK apart from Together Again. In fact I'm struggling to remember many of her songs.

I think the 'signature song' often just tends to be the most popular song TBH, or a song which launched the career, but in a lot of cases this is can be disputed especially if there have been many songs that have done just as well.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genesis.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, what does everyone think The Beatles' 'signature song' is? I'd be tempted to go with Twist & Shout. But then there's I Wanna Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Let It Be I guess, or some of their later songs (afraid I don't know so many of those as I should...!)?
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what does everyone think The Beatles' 'signature song' is? I'd be tempted to go with Twist & Shout. But then there's I Wanna Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Let It Be I guess, or some of their later songs (afraid I don't know so many of those as I should...!)?

I'd say 'Hey Jude'.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would people say Sir Cliff's is? I'd have said Summer Holiday or The Young Ones,but not too sure
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ratty0 wrote: »
    Seeing as I've recently been to the Big Reunion, how about some 90s UK groups...

- Westlife. I was never a fan. Flying Without Wings?
    - Blue. All Rise?
    - 5ive. Suggestions?
    - Backstreet Boys. Everybody? I Want It That Way? As Long As You Love Me?

- Atomic Kitten. Suggestions?
    - All Saints. Never Ever?
    - Sugababes. Suggestions?
    - Girls Aloud. Suggestions?

In other categories, I'm not sure on the following:
    - Mariah Carey (quite a few to choose from I think)
    - Gwen Stefani (What You Waiting For perhaps?)
    - Jay Z
    - Kylie Minogue (Spinning Around? CGYOOMH Or do we hark back to Locomotion?)
    - Jennifer Lopez (Waiting For Tonight?)

I think Rihanna's has to be Umbrella as it's the one that catapulted her to fame and was ridiculously catchy/overplayed.

BLUE - All Rise and One Love
    Westlife - I only like one of their songs and that's World Of Our own but I'm not entirely sure that may be their signature track.
    5ive - Have no clue who these are.
    Backstreet Boys - Yes. I Want It That Way and As Long As You Love Me.

Atomic Kitten - Either Whole Again or The Tide Is High (Which is pretty sad for them, considering it's a cover.)
    All Saints - Like 5ive, I know of them but have never heard one of their songs.
    Sugababes - That 'Round Round Baby Round Round' song and Push The Button.
    Girls Aloud - I honestly don't know. I always personally only ever liked Sound Of The Underground but I don't think people would probably consider that to be GA's signature hit.

Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas. At the end of the day, even people who have never been a fan of mariah carey type music, know this song.
    Gwen Stefani - Definitely 'What You Waiting For' or 'Hollaback Girl"
    Jay Z - No idea.
    Kylie Minogue - Definitely 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head.'
    Jennifer Lopez - I've never listened to her music and the only two songs I've ever read in her name are 'Waiting For Tonight' and 'On The Floor Feat. Pitbull.)
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought Jennifer Lopez's signature song was "Love Don't Cost A Thing"? Everybody knows that song surely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    Gwen Stefani - Definitely 'What You Waiting For' or 'Hollaback Girl"

I'd say Gwen's was The Sweet Escape.