Elite Dangerous

13»

Comments

• deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian1709 wrote: »
    Yes it happens quite a bit on the smaller stations with outside landing pads. Keep requesting docking and eventually you will get in. Alternatively you can log off and try again in solo mode.

Yes in a delivery mission the cargo is automatically placed into your hold.

Many thanks. I thought that is what would happen with the cargo but thought I'd double check
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've given up on multiplayer thanks to the "docking request denied" problem at small outposts. Just can't be bothered to sit there requesting over and over again for 10 minutes! They need to alter that so at least you get stacked into a queue and know how long it will be before you get a pad. As of now I'm just playing solo, as there's zero docking issues there.

One thing I discovered that's helped me no end is this online tool;

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

You can enter a bit of info and it will provide you with the best trading routes in your area to make a profit. Its been really useful - kinda like an in-game stock market!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The setup of this game is shit. I cant even run the multiplayer, due to installation errors. Woudln't recommend at all.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The setup of this game is shit. I cant even run the multiplayer, due to installation errors. Woudln't recommend at all.

You wouldn't recommend a game that you haven't actually played?
    Because you're a noob and can't install a game correctly? :p
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try uninstalling and manually deleting the game directory and then try again
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how much would it cost to build a pc to run this?
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    how much would it cost to build a pc to run this?
    Probably minimum £400 maybe? The games system requirements are low-average.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    You wouldn't recommend a game that you haven't actually played?
    Because you're a noob and can't install a game correctly? :p

The installer is very buggy. If you install the tutorial first, you cant install the main game, you have to uninstall the tutorial first.

Once you get the hang of the game though it is amazing. Looks incredible on ultra settings!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Probably minimum £400 maybe? The games system requirements are low-average.

thanks.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    thanks.

The min gfx card is really old, you should look at minimum as i5 or AMD equivalent processor, 8gb RAM, 760 gtx or AMD 270X, which would be around £550 i think.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The installer is very buggy. If you install the tutorial first, you cant install the main game, you have to uninstall the tutorial first.

Once you get the hang of the game though it is amazing. Looks incredible on ultra settings!

That does sound a bit of blunder - no doubt something that they can fix.

Seriously tempted to get this. I know I would end up spending every free minute on it though. I still remember playing the original and it taking a lot of gaming hours to just get the art of docking sussed until a docking computer could be purchased. Seemed like a huge achievement at the time :)
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    That does sound a bit of blunder - no doubt something that they can fix.

Seriously tempted to get this. I know I would end up spending every free minute on it though. I still remember playing the original and it taking a lot of gaming hours to just get the art of docking sussed until a docking computer could be purchased. Seemed like a huge achievement at the time :)

If you have played the original you will find docking a lot easier in ED.
    The Docking Computer is a hindrance as it takes so long to get you docked.
    Its very buggy too often inflicting damage on your ship while landing or even worse blowing you up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    If you have played the original you will find docking a lot easier in ED.
    The Docking Computer is a hindrance as it takes so long to get you docked.
    Its very buggy too often inflicting damage on your ship while landing or even worse blowing you up.

I bought the ED docking computer in the hope that it would speed up my dockings (and therefore improve my profit per hour in trade runs), but sold it instantly after my first docking attempt.

Its only positive was that it played the Blue Danube the moment you engaged automatic docking. THAT. WAS. AWESOME! Aside from that, it was totally useless and couldn't even manage to dock my ship even after I'd positioned it a few metres above the docking pad. All it ever seemed to do was flip my ship round in circles and nothing more!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has it still got the Blue Danube Waltz while docking?

The min gfx card is really old, you should look at minimum as i5 or AMD equivalent processor, 8gb RAM, 760 gtx or AMD 270X, which would be around £550 i think.

is the 550 price including everything I'd need or will mother board be on top of that? plus how future proof would that spec be or is it on the low end side?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I just encountered a bug in this game that has seriously pissed me off to the point that either Frontier support fix it or I will be demanding a refund. Yeah, its pissed me off THAT much.

Essentially, I was docked at a station and going through the commodities market, when I heard an odd alarm going off in the background. I came out the market and there was a countdown on my cockpit saying that I was loitering in the airlock! I was docked and in the friggin' hanger! There was clearly no loitering going on. Panicking as the counter went down, I launched and made a dash for the airlock before the counter expired, hoping to get clear before I got blown up for this.

No luck, though and my 15 million credit Asp, with a million credits of cargo got wasted by the station. Worse still, the game refused to give me a loan to buy back my ship and instead said I had to go back to a Sidewinder with only 1000 credits. ie. right back to the beginning.

In hindsight, I should have just quit the game and hoped I'd come back in with the countdown not going. But then I had ten seconds to make a decision that I shouldn't have had to make and through no fault of my own, I've now lost everything and am back to square one. I did a google search afterwards and found I'm not the first person this bug has happened to - so something for other players to watch out for.

I've now submitted a support ticket and asked them to either restore my game back to a point prior to this or give me the credits to buy myself back to where I was. I hope they sort it, because if they don't, I will ask for my money back. I've just been on holiday for two weeks and sunk a lot of time into grinding for cash before I went back to work. If I've lost all that due to a programming fault, then I think that is an unacceptable flaw. If they fix it for me, then I'm ok - albeit still annoyed that I can't currently play the game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took a bit of time, but they refunded me the entire worth of my lost ship for my troubles. Hopefully they'll get that bug fixed, too.

Frontier are back in my good books now!
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    I've just been on holiday for two weeks and sunk a lot of time into grinding for cash before I went back to work.

Sounds more like you paused one job for a couple of weeks and immediately took up another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds more like you paused one job for a couple of weeks and immediately took up another.

Pretty much, but the second job had less nagging clients. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Pretty much, but the second job had less nagging clients. :p

Funny that, I know what you mean. Sometimes grinding away at a game without having to engage your brain much can be quite soothing. I've played about thirty hours of Dark Souls but only actually killed two bosses.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this game to be a bit of a grind to begin with though I'm having more fun now that I've built up some assets. I've just kitted out my Cobra Mk III to be a totally self-sufficient deep space explorer with the best fuel scoop, surface scanner, field repair kit and FSD I can lay my hands on. I'm planning an extended trip into "the dark" to gather some mapping data.

I'm hoping I can get as far as Sagittarius A* to take some screenies of the super-massive black hole at the center of the Galaxy. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Si_Crewe;74354866} just plonked you in the middle of things with no obvious instructions for how to proceed, at least the novella gave you some idea of what you were supposed to be doing.
    .[/QUOTE]

That was the point of the game, NO set story to follow and you started off with a hundred cred, a basic Cobra MK2 and a harmless rating, then it was up to the player to decide what to do.
    At least back in the 80s, us gamers used our imaginations instead of relying on detailed/photorealistic graphics.
    I got into X3 easily.

But I don't think there'll be a big play off for the best players due to cheats being available on the internet. There was going to be a big competition to find the best player of the Spectrum but it had to be cancelled because somebpdy created an Elite Editor (No, it's nothing to do with photo/image editing) which people were using.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elite Dangerous is now on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    [/B]

That was the point of the game, NO set story to follow and you started off with a hundred cred, a basic Cobra MK2 and a harmless rating, then it was up to the player to decide what to do.
    At least back in the 80s, us gamers used our imaginations instead of relying on detailed/photorealistic graphics.

And before that we played Pong. You want to play hi-res Pong forever? Games have moved on.

I don't think the game needs a story, I just think it needs more to do. I'm stunned there are still people playing it, doing the same things day after day like some kind of Zen ritual.