The Great British Bake Off 2015 - Series 6

Comments

• jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dizzie wrote: »
    That audience share is fantastic, and those numbers will go up with i-player numbers. It's the BBC's massive ratings hitter, and it's always made me wonder why they start it in the middle of summer. Bake Off has always felt like a cozy autumn/winter evening viewing, despite it being filmed supposedly during 'summer'! Is it just me?!

I suspect practically it's much easier to film a show in a tent outdoors if it's summer when you're doing it. They've had rainy days while filming but a few weeks of it would turn the lawn they were filming on to mud.

Otherwise, I always assumed they wanted the 'summer fete' vibe, which is why it's in a tent in the first place. Given the first couple of series travelled around and were set up in quite public spots - I remember people standing outside the tent watching what was going on - that always seemed the 'spirit' they were going for.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I do too. Mind you I hate alcohol :D

I think Tamal and Nadya last night used cherry juice (possibly from a tin of cherries?) as I assume they're both Muslim (Nadya obviously is) - there was a mention of cherry juice when tasting Tamal's cake.
    You wonder what'll happen when/if there's a technical that involves alcohol in the recipe? Or will they avoid setting those at all this series?
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    You wonder what'll happen when/if there's a technical that involves alcohol in the recipe? Or will they avoid setting those at all this series?
    Surely that situation has come up in previous series? I can't see many dishes where alcohol is absolutely integral to the completion of a dish - after all, there's many a sherry trifle that's been adjusted to non-alcohol versions for consumption by children! Other than if they asked them to make pork pies, I can't see any technical skills recipe contravening Muslim food laws. If it comes to Pie Week, most contestants have a vast array of variable choices, and I know there've been numerous veggie versions over the years, that would fit with their dietary requirements.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They state clearly that the filming starts in April and the tent is left up for 12 weeks :)
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member

Presumably they won't be making pork pies this year . . .

They should all attempt a vegan recipe one week just to be inclusive.
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I do too. Mind you I hate alcohol :D

I think Tamal and Nadya last night used cherry juice (possibly from a tin of cherries?) as I assume they're both Muslim.
    The name Tamal Ray sounds Indian, and possibly Hindu.
    Forum Member
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    The name Tamal Ray sounds Indian, and possibly Hindu.

He could be. I don't think he used kirsch in his cake, possibly he just doesn't like alcohol.

Have you seen the wedding cake he made? It's on his instagram page https://instagram.com/DrRayBakes/ Not bad with the piping!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I've worked out who the rumoured winner is too - it's easily done if you take the odds given in the article linked above then have a quick search of articles from yesterday/a few days ago that list all the contestant's original betting odds.

I really don't think it's necessarily correct, though. The BBC are very good at keeping this stuff under wraps, after all. I think it's possible someone started a very convincing rumour and some other people took it as gospel.

I doubt that many people bet on GBBO so it probably takes a low overall number of people betting on one contestant to constitute dodgy activity, too.

We'll have to wait and see! Even knowing the rumour won't dampen my enjoyment of the show.

Given how far in advance it's recorded I'm surprised this hasn't happened before.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode! I like all. Even Stu the hat.

Nadiya's face is so expressive. I almost fell off a chair laughing when her face went through a range of emotions during the judging.

Some of my maternal relatives are Quakers. Some use alcohol in baking and cooking without tasting it when alcohol has to be used, but most use alternatives.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely that situation has come up in previous series? I can't see many dishes where alcohol is absolutely integral to the completion of a dish - after all, there's many a sherry trifle that's been adjusted to non-alcohol versions for consumption by children!

Yes, I remember one contestant not using alcohol because she didn't like alcohol. I can't remember whether she used an alternative or not, though.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrong thread.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching this. They don't seem very competent to me. A Madeira cake is SO easy to make.

I was right about what the contestants would be like.;-)
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,371
    Forum Member
    That audience share is fantastic, and those numbers will go up with i-player numbers. It's the BBC's massive ratings hitter, and it's always made me wonder why they start it in the middle of summer. Bake Off has always felt like a cozy autumn/winter evening viewing, despite it being filmed supposedly during 'summer'! Is it just me?!

It's not just you, I've wondered this too. In fact I've wondered if the figures would be even more impressive if it was on in Autumn.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very unimpressed with many of the Bakers. Paul Hollywood said "you don't even get in this tent unless you are a very good baker." I saw little evidence tonight.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Can someone PM me the winner, please? I want to see if it's who I assumed it would be just from reading about all the contestants.

I love spoilers. i record the episodes and only watch them after I know who was booted out that week!
  • Bunthorne67Bunthorne67 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Can someone PM me the winner, please

I have PMed you the identity of the person who was subject to the betting frenzy referred to above. You must make of that what you will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I have PMed you the identity of the person who was subject to the betting frenzy referred to above. You must make of that what you will.

Would you mind telling me the winners name too? Don't intend to post it anywhere or ruin the show for anyone. just curious. Thanks
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was just watching it and was kinda surprised when they criticised Sandy's biscuit base and 70s look, surely that's what you want with a Black Forest Gateau? :confused:
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they are introducing "special baking" somewhere along the line this year. Can't remember if it's vegan, gluten free, sugarless or what...but deffo something :D
    I'm torn between wanting to know who the fuss is about and not. Perhaps it could be posted after the last programme has been shown when the real winner is known, just for comparison.
    Forum Member
    Quickblood wrote: »
    i was just watching it and was kinda surprised when they criticised Sandy's biscuit base and 70s look, surely that's what you want with a Black Forest Gateau? :confused:

I thought they wanted an updated version of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they wanted an updated version of it.

Just checked and all Sue said is that they want a Black Forest Gateau, they just wanted it to look special and be a showstopper.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Given how far in advance it's recorded I'm surprised this hasn't happened before.

Same thing happened last year.
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got the feeling that it was more the quality of the base they were criticising rather than the idea of it.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't she also say that she had had a Black Forest Gateau in Germany or Austria years ago and it had a biscuit base?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Didn't she also say that she had had a Black Forest Gateau in Germany or Austria years ago and it had a biscuit base?

Yeah, I had one too years ago although I can't remember where and ever since it doesn't taste quite right without one and from what I've heard it traditionally has that base.
    spikewoman wrote: »
    I got the feeling that it was more the quality of the base they were criticising rather than the idea of it.

I dunno cause Mary said she "doesn't know what it adds to it really" and it should add a nice texture.