Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Karen, did you read the PM I sent you last night ;-) ;-)
  • Options
    Franco_AnglaisFranco_Anglais Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    So, Fanny O'Allen has a new "Best Bits" show at graveyard o'clock on Saturdays. In other words, a repeat of his 5 previous shows which are, in turn, repeats of his drivel from previous weeks. It's like trying to comprehend infinity - my brain's imploding! :o
  • Options
    karen tracekaren trace Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Karen, did you read the PM I sent you last night ;-) ;-)

No, just read your message and followed the instructions. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I think it was Chris Hawkins who presented, with Quilliam providing the advice.

A heady mix.

Chris Hawkins was with Becky Walsh doing the Psychic show on Friday night.

Jim Davis was with Susan Quilliam doing Sex in the City show also on Friday nights ( I think it replaced the Psychic show?).
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you are so right. I like you do not listen but caught some of his show in the car and he surpassed himself this morning with sheer obnoxiousness masquerading as compassion.

He's got that down to a fine art - very much one of Gobber's specialities.:)
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, Fanny O'Allen has a new "Best Bits" show at graveyard o'clock on Saturdays. In other words, a repeat of his 5 previous shows which are, in turn, repeats of his drivel from previous weeks. It's like trying to comprehend infinity - my brain's imploding! :o

He boasted on his show this week he is now offically the only presenter to his knowledge on 7 days a week in LBCs history even though one is only the "Best Bits":o
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radio lady wrote: »
    I don't think Richard Littlejohn has many fans on here but I like him.......
    Try this if only to read about our own dear ID

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3221855/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-child-s-death-tragic-not-fault.html

As for Lucy Beresford if she is only half as boring as she is on Press Preview on Sky news then this must be one of the most ludicrous signings that Global have ever made. Anna Raeburn made sense - she doesn't.

Good article by RL. Don't always agree with him but do completely on this.
  • Options
    guiserguiser Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    When I started school just before my 5th birthday in 1974 we had to learn to write in a bizarre written language known as "ITA" ............

Anyone here know what I'm talking about with this ITA way of learning how to read and write? A shame I cannot write what it looked like on here.

I did that too!
    I started school in January 1967 and had no idea it lasted that long.
    I didn't do the transition thing because my family moved to a different part of the country some eighteen months later and I spent almost six months out of school, during which time I must have pretty much taught myself to read properly,
    I know for sure that by the time I started my next school I was the only one in the class who had actually read Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass by the time I was seven and my teacher seemed to think I was some kind of child genius.
    I've read voraciously ever since and I've always been good at spelling ( bet this post is littered with typos).
    No idea if ITA had anything to do with it though.
    Nice article here -
    http://oldladybirdbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/ladybird-books-in-ita.html
  • Options
    Franco_AnglaisFranco_Anglais Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    He boasted on his show this week he is now offically the only presenter to his knowledge on 7 days a week in LBCs history even though one is only the "Best Bits":o

He seems to do little else but boast, crow and blow his own trumpet nowadays - it's cringe-inducing. And I'd like to stick that bloody spike of his where the sun don't shine!
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Cayce wrote: »
    Steve is burbling away to himself, boasting that he's the only presenter to be asked to do seven days a week. Then adding, "you know I'm always right". Quite nauseating.

He's still waxing on about the Kray twins as though they're a new, hot sensation. Dear God give me strength...

^ See post above. You must have missed my early morning rant today :D. Steve's boasting is quite spectacular taking into account his constant laborious, repetitious spiel. For instance, he keeps focusing his supposed "caustic" wit on Cheryl "Spag bol" Versini/Cole. What's wrong with the man when he soley targets certain celebs? No longer does his 'shtick' or parody seem to apply as a general "bitch-fest", as once advertised. Instead, he seems to have some kind of personal vendetta against those he personally dislikes? Hardly a professional at his own game!?
  • Options
    clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    " If you don't like thinking then don't phone the show". I cannot believe the prat said that.

You can add "anyone with a functioning intellect". What he is saying is don't 'phone in unless you agree with me.
  • Options
    RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shove James o brien to early breakfast shift, or put him on one of those awful shopping channels like ideal world. How nick abbot copes with these lunatic callers i don't know, are these people drunk.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    ^ See post above. You must have missed my early morning rant today :D. Steve's boasting is quite spectacular taking into account his constant laborious, repetitious spiel. For instance, he keeps focusing his supposed "caustic" wit on Cheryl "Spag bol" Versini/Cole. What's wrong with the man when he soley targets certain celebs? No longer does his 'shtick' or parody seem to apply as a general "bitch-fest", as once advertised. Instead, he seems to have some kind of personal vendetta against those he personally dislikes? Hardly a professional at his own game!?

Yes i think i must of missed the early morning rant.:D:D

Steve Allen is most definitely a parody of himself not sure if its vendetta or the material he reads from the papers is a bit samey.;-)
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, just read your message and followed the instructions. Thank you very much.

I said wear the leather (not feather!) outfit, that makes me sneeze ;-)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I was asking on behalf of a 'friend' :D

Haha, that old trick! :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guiser wrote: »
    I did that too!
    I started school in January 1967 and had no idea it lasted that long.
    I didn't do the transition thing because my family moved to a different part of the country some eighteen months later and I spent almost six months out of school, during which time I must have pretty much taught myself to read properly,
    I know for sure that by the time I started my next school I was the only one in the class who had actually read Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass by the time I was seven and my teacher seemed to think I was some kind of child genius.
    I've read voraciously ever since and I've always been good at spelling ( bet this post is littered with typos).
    No idea if ITA had anything to do with it though.
    Nice article here -
    http://oldladybirdbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/ladybird-books-in-ita.html
    Thankyou for this post! I had no idea it was around way back into the 60's. I thought I must have been caught up in some weird middle 70's blip that lasted just a couple of years. I still have all my books, and publications in this odd learning language. Like you, my reading and writing abilities were very well advanced and ahead of most people, but I don't place that ability as anything to do with ITA. It's amazing it didn't stunt my learning how to read and write if you ask me. If I look through some of my old exercise books from when I was 5 or 6 I now find them extremely tricky to read some of the sentences! How ironic is that eh. ;-)
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If barbarous relics like Richard Littlejohn and his groupies are upset at the thought of immigrants or refugees settling in the UK, it is hard to think of a better reason to welcome as many as are willing to come here.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    A cheap party political point which is inaccurate.

The current crisis resulted from the anarchy is Libya and the growth of ISIS in Syria which has been a result of the military action ordered by David Cameron to overthrow the government of Colonel Gadhafi. Before you say that's just left-wing propaganda, it's a similar view to that expressed by the former head of Britain’s Armed Forces, Sir David Richards and even Nigel Farage has said something along these lines too.

An accusation of an innacurate cheap party political point, followed by an even cheaper and as innacurate party political point.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pity the person who has to put the Best of Steve Allen together. How on earth can they find two hours of material that isn't the same old same old over and over? During the half hour I heard, he told the story of giving a tenner to a homeless person twice. Then we had the Maddy McCann stuff he's been churning out ever since she vanished.

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    I am sure he is only following the script he is given but didn't you just know that Andrew Pearce would be hunting out a reason why we shouldn't take Syrian refugees?

This morning it was because America and Canada hadn't taken their "fair share". I turned off but did he really use the geographical size of Canada as a comparative factor as to why the 2,500 refugees that Canada has already taken doesn't stack up against the "thousands" that Cameron has said we might take, in the future, possibly, unless that turns out to be a bad idea?
  • Options
    jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should have heard Nick Abbot last night, who seemed unable to distinguish between economic migrants and refugees, and mocking a caller by calling him 'unconscious' as he tried to explain the difference.
    The analogy is simple- if your running down the street away from a mad man with an axe you run in the first house that opens it's door, you don't keep running until you find a house with nice curtains.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have heard Nick Abbot last night, who seemed unable to distinguish between economic migrants and refugees, and mocking a caller by calling him 'unconscious' as he tried to explain the difference.
    The analogy is simple- if your running down the street away from a mad man with an axe you run in the first house that opens it's door, you don't keep running until you find a house with nice curtains.

Good analogy; I might borrow it!

I had the feeling Nick was having one of his 'can't be bothered' nights. He had two arch bores call in - Rainbow George and Mark in Liverpool - and he just let them drone on and on. There was also a very strange old dear who couldn't grasp the rule about switching off her radio. That was, I admit, amusing, but Nick isn't the must listen radio he used to be.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Why do LBC but presumably others, keep on rubbing shoulders with the likes of Jeffrey Archer in order to promote their tatty wares? Vallen had a go with one of his incisive interviews and now Pierce has him on his programme. How standards have fallen although I fear they cannot go much lower than this.
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite risible an analogy of course.

By the same logic abused women should be content with staying in women's shelters for ever.

The reality, obviously, is that the first safe place might not necessarily be the place offering the best longer-term prospects.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An accusation of an innacurate cheap party political point, followed by an even cheaper and as innacurate party political point.

In what way was what I said inaccurate?
This discussion has been closed.