He Wants To Meet Me ... Do I ?

Comments

• System CrashSystem Crash Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nanny Ogg wrote: »
    I don’t want to think badly of him that he would say that he has cancer when he doesn’t but I don’t really know well enough to say if he would lie or not, he has put thing on his facebook page like he is in hospital and having tests etc.. but hasn’t actually said on his page that its cancer. And I suppose it’s a little selfish of me but I’m thinking how will I feel knowing he wanted to meet me but I said no and then died.
    You’re all right though I’m not comfortable with meeting him so I really shouldn’t cancer or no cancer, I think it may be best to block him so he can’t get in touch with me.

You haven't even met the guy.

Why are you feeling guilty? IF by some strange turn of events he is telling the truth, he will have lost nothing.

IF he really has cancer, surely he would be more interested in spending time with his family, rather than meeting some anonymous stranger on the internet? :confused:
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I dont even know why people fall for these kinds of things all the time..:rolleyes: Even if he is telling the truth, why do you want to meet a complete stranger? Have you never even read the newspapers or seen tv on these kinds of matters? The T&C's of this website also states never to meet anyone in real life who you've met online! If you really feel the need to take someone with you.

Did you not read about a girl who was killed a few weeks back because she lied to her parents and met up with someone who she met online?

I think that's a little over the top. Of course we only hear about the bad stories, that's all that gets reported. Thousands meet each year from the internet with no problems.

I think if you feel comfortable with the person, know them well enough and use your common sense in meeting them there isn't a problem.

The problem with this case is the OP clearly thinks there's something weird about the guy and isn't comfortable meeting him, so of course she shouldn't.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to meet him then don't. If you are determined to do so, find out when his next appointment is and offer to meet him at the hospital. His reaction will help you decide.
  • scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t want to think badly of him that he would say that he has cancer when he doesn’t but I don’t really know well enough to say if he would lie or not, he has put thing on his facebook page like he is in hospital and having tests etc.. but hasn’t actually said on his page that its cancer. And I suppose it’s a little selfish of me but I’m thinking how will I feel knowing he wanted to meet me but I said no and then died.
    You’re all right though I’m not comfortable with meeting him so I really shouldn’t cancer or no cancer, I think it may be best to block him so he can’t get in touch with me.
    Why did you want to add an unknown person for in the first place? I thought fb was just for people you know in real life. Or has that changed now?:confused: I would never dream of adding someone I dont know!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you want to add an unknown person for in the first place? I thought fb was just for people you know in real life. Or has that changed now?:confused: I would never dream of adding someone I dont know!

I met him through an application on facebook and we talked through there for a while just chit chat then I added him as a friend because I got on with him and liked him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    I think that's a little over the top. Of course we only hear about the bad stories, that's all that gets reported. Thousands meet each year from the internet with no problems.

I think if you feel comfortable with the person, know them well enough and use your common sense in meeting them there isn't a problem.

The problem with this case is the OP clearly thinks there's something weird about the guy and isn't comfortable meeting him, so of course she shouldn't.
    Maybe it was a bit harsh and if it was im sorry..:)

OP, if you really want to meet him take a friend or family member with you (like a brother or cousin - prefarably male) and then meet him. But DONT go alone.
  • System CrashSystem Crash Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, if you really want to meet him take a friend or family member with you (like a brother or cousin - prefarably male) and then meet him. But DONT go alone.

This is correct.

Also ask when is his next appointment at the hospital and do it there. Will be harder if he is actually faking it.

The whole story has a huge soap opera-like emotional blackmail twist thing that is fishy enough, not to mention that you had a bad gut feeling about it too. Add it up, doesn't look good.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Maybe it was a bit harsh and if it was im sorry..:)

Not harsh, just a little OTT :p

Your advice is sound advice but personally I would advise OP not to meet him at all, not even if she has her own personal army with her, if she doesn't want to or feel comfortable doing it then that should be the end of it as far as i'm concerned.
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terminal cancer story is frankly a pile of crap, as far as I see.
    I knew someone who told the same lie to keep his girlfriend. Its the saddest of desperation moves.

He could be genuinely interested in you, and if he is, he'd have backed off and tried to just remain friends, and then in the future it might have happened. But this cancer thing just stinks of a desperation lie.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd tell him first that you don't want to meet him. If you have built up a good friendship and he's as nice as he makes himself out to be, then he would totally understand. If he turns nasty, then it's most likely that he's lying about everything and I'd steer well clear and block him then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd tell him first that you don't want to meet him. If you have built up a good friendship and he's as nice as he makes himself out to be, then he would totally understand. If he turns nasty, then it's most likely that he's lying about everything and I'd steer well clear and block him then.

We did build up a good friendship right up until I spoke to him and since then its gone pear shaped !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go with your gut instinct. Sonething is telling you, that something isn't quite right, go with that.

I echo this. You feel uncomfortable for a reason. Listen to that and don't meet him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terminal cancer story is frankly a pile of crap, as far as I see.
    I knew someone who told the same lie to keep his girlfriend. Its the saddest of desperation moves.

He could be genuinely interested in you, and if he is, he'd have backed off and tried to just remain friends, and then in the future it might have happened. But this cancer thing just stinks of a desperation lie.

I think its a lie too. Its a 'please shag me I'm so desperate' line.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So do I meet up with him feeling the way I do??? How on earth can I tell him that he freaks me out ??? or do I just block him from my life completely ?? help !! :(

A resounding no from me. Don't you bloody dare actually. And £10 squillion says he doesn't have cancer either.

Delete him from your Facebook account and do not reply to any more text messages. You owe him no explanations either.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure I remember a very similar story on here some time ago...I've searched but can't find it. (BTW I mean some other lady was having the same tale with a bloke on Facebook, not that you are repeating yourself Nanny).

The cloest I coudl find was this thread:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=939393&highlight=facebook+cancer

Anyway, as with everyone else I think the cancer story is highly suspicious and I would cut all ties and try not to worry about it.
  • Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    Ok HELP ! I have a small problem and I’m at a loss what to do !!

I met someone through facebook and we really got on well so I gave him my mobile number and we began to text each other every day I really really liked him, and it begin to get a bit on the sexual side which was fine. He then suggested that we should talk over the phone so I agreed and phoned him but as soon I started to talk to him ... well the only way I can describe it is a bad vibe about him. It was nothing that he said to me it was just him.

I tried a few more times chatting over the phone with him but again there is something I can’t put my finger on but I just don’t like talking to him, after that I decided to give him a wide birth, he is still my friend on facebook and he will text me things like “hi how are ?” from time to time, but that has been it for about a month or so.

Now he has been told me that he has cancer and its terminal so he wants to met me my first response was to say yes because I thought I didn’t want him to die without ever meeting him, but now the more I’m thinking about it and the more he is texting me I realise I really really don’t want to meet him as a friend or anything, don’t get me wrong he seems nice enough but I can’t shake this feeling that there is something not quite right about him, I’m also wondering about this whole cancer business is it for real ??

So do I meet up with him feeling the way I do??? How on earth can I tell him that he freaks me out ??? or do I just block him from my life completely ?? help !! :(

Gytha! Don't you dare go and meet this man! Stick with Greebo! :D
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had gone with my gut instinct about certain people I would have saved myself a whole lot of trouble.

Go with yours Nanny, It's telling you something is wrong....don't meet him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee-rec wrote: »
    Definetely dont meet him. We have these gut instincts for a reason as usually they are right. As your communication turned sexual - not criticising you for that at all - he thinks you should meet up as he is hoping for a sh*g.
    Why would he want to meet a stranger from the internet as his last wish if he genuinely had cancer? I know someone who pulled all these tricks, although not via the internet, and pleading terminal cancer was one of them. Unvelievably, some people are that twisted that they can lie about something that bad for sympathy and attention.
    Sorry if that comes over a bit harsh.

I find it VERY WIERD that somebody who is 'terminally' ill would want to start something sexual with a complete stranger to be honest. I could be wrong but my first reaction was that he is trying to manipulate you into meeting up with him and feeling sorry.

Another sudden thought is that he could be a scammer after money and will try getting you to part with it through the sympathy card.

If you do feel the need to meet up with him at some point then take somebody with you who you trust.

If I am wrong then I am wrong but be wary! I am inclined with the others to say to trust your gut instict. It's trying to tell you something!
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always trust your gut feeling in a situation like this. If you think he's 'off' in some way, then he probably is. Dpn't meet him.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    A resounding no from me. Don't you bloody dare actually. And £10 squillion says he doesn't have cancer either.

Delete him from your Facebook account and do not reply to any more text messages. You owe him no explanations either.
    What she said. ^^

I don't believe he's got cancer for a minute.

ALWAYS trust your instinct with people on the net!

Delete everything to do with him & forget about it.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Christa wrote: »
    What she said. ^^

I don't believe he's got cancer for a minute.

ALWAYS trust your instinct with people on the net!

Delete everything to do with him & forget about it.

totally agree with this
    you already know in your gut that its bad news:)
  • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just out of interest how old are you and how old does he say he is.
    he might be 20 years older than he says he is.
    i certainly would advise not to meet because then he will know what you look like and could start stalking you.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Yes go and meet him - then we can all read about it in the national newspapers and hear about it on the news. :rolleyes:

Seriously, how old are you op? As others have said, you should go with your instinct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There you go, Ive found the link and I remember there being a thread about this around that time -
    http://theoriginalgreenwichdiva.com/2009/10/27/darlington-girl-foound-dead-in-county-durham-after-meeting-a-man-on-the-internet/
    Friends of the 17-year-old Darlington College student said she met the 32-year-old man on the internet who told her he was 16.

So be wary!
  • vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AVOID!

(Unless you want to end up sexually molested and dead in a ditch)

Why don't people realise that the Internet is an open sewer and you should approach it with maximum caution?