Top Gear

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

TG seem to do the same car reviews each series. Isn't there anything quirkier out of the ordinary out there that they can test drive?

Like last season?

Like a space exploration vehicle?

Like the P45? :p
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    The constant over running is annoying, even when SKY+HD'd. :mad::mad:

I had to resort to an On Demand download to see the last couple of minutes.
    I Sky+HD'd off BBCHD and had no problems with the recording cutting off. Are you using the standard auto padding ?
    Yes.... but.......

I was also recording two other programmes at 9pm !!

Same problem on Freeview HD and SD PVR's

I haven't watched Prof Cox HD "Wonders of Life" yet, the end of TG may be on there, as it's the same HD Channel.

Just checked, yes, the last 4 minutes of TG HD were on the start of Prof Cox HD programme recording, covering the missing last 2 minutes of TG.

SKY+HD often has an overlap, effectively able to record 4 programmes at once, for a minute or two anyway, if consecutive recorded programmes are on the same channel.

I prefer On Demand though, to top & tail, if required, I don't like to flag up a recording as Viewed, until I actually properly view it, in part or in full.

My BB Speed is 20mb/s, so no problems with waiting too long for the download to finish, to view it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Like last season?

Like a space exploration vehicle?

Like the P45? :p
    First is a great example.
    Second is one of May's more serious peices that could have been from one of his series. Still good stuff though.

P45 was just a sketch and a rehashed one at that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pagani section: cut, cut, flash cut, close up of of random bit of car, 10 cuts in 0.5seconds, blured shot of car, shot of Hammond, cut, cut, cut, shot of dashboard...repeat for 9minutes...

I fast forwarded through the section on Xbox and I had to check that I was fast forwarding as I was going from one bit to anotehr 2minutes later and it would be doing exactly the same cutting and shots.

Years ago I used to like the supercar bit but now it's more about tossy camera shots than the car itself.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    It must be annoying for a millionairre knowing that the only choice they have for a supercar is a Pagani, Knonisegg...., Veyron.

TG seem to do the same car reviews each series. Isn't there anything quirkier out of the ordinary out there that they can test drive?

I think some of the best were the old supercar challenges. Where they brought back to MF1 and F40 to compete against the new boys.

What like when they did the episode with all the ex army gear? Or that Bentley look a like and that bloody big German thing? Or their Geoff car or that beautiful E type look a like?
  • Wide_LoadWide_Load Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    If you are a pretty girl with long blonde hair, you can stand behind the presenters !! :D:D

I saw her too. She was absolutely stunning and made me blister my wang.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    Pagani section: cut, cut, flash cut, close up of of random bit of car, 10 cuts in 0.5seconds, blured shot of car, shot of Hammond, cut, cut, cut, shot of dashboard...repeat for 9minutes...

I fast forwarded through the section on Xbox and I had to check that I was fast forwarding as I was going from one bit to anotehr 2minutes later and it would be doing exactly the same cutting and shots.

Years ago I used to like the supercar bit but now it's more about tossy camera shots than the car itself.

EXACTLY THIS ^^^^^^^^^

I can forgive the juvenile inane and simpleton behaviour of the three idiots on dope, but when something decent DOES come on to the screen worth seeing ....Like say ...a BENTLEY on a Rally stage on road tyres in the hands of Kris Meeke.......

I WANT TO SEE IT !!!!!!!:mad:

Not some epileptic inducing millisecond blipvert sequence of shot, cut , zoom , cut shot ...blurrr cut ...shot blurr ...FFS

Channel the action without interference ...1st rule of TV Camera work.

Its not big and certainly aint clever.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm going to buy a car the last place I'm gonna go for advice or a review is top gear, people watch it to see the super cars and stupid stunts etc.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    If I'm going to buy a car the last place I'm gonna go for advice or a review is top gear, people watch it to see the super cars and stupid stunts etc.

:D:D:D is that a spelling mistake :D
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »

I'd never buy a car recommended by any of the TG team, but most people know that anyway! After all they often love the most unreliable cars going.

If I want to look at a car to own or use I um go to a car showroom, not. TV show.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I'd never buy a car recommended by any of the TG team, but most people know that anyway! After all they often love the most unreliable cars going.

If I want to look at a car to own or use I um go to a car showroom, not. TV show.

I once brought a Skoda Fabia Vrs Diesel when it beat the Mini Cooper in a race around the Top Gear track.

They've tested the Citroen C1/Peugeout 107/Toyota Aygo (car football) - they've tested the Ford Fiesta and Skoda Yeti (and loved them both) - so they DO test everyday cars as well, they just make the tests quirky.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think it was pretty irresponsible of Jeremy to show how he gets rid of unwanted petrol.
  • HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Cant be too long before Bruce Dickinson is on ?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Personally I could do without the guys driving cars that cost silly money and can do 200 mph. Last time I looked 70 was top speed limit in UK. How many folks take cars abroad to thrash them or race days to thrash them there. maybe i am just getting old but would like to see more stuff on normalish cars

For me, and maybe many others, it's escapism.

Of course most of us could only dream of driving such cars, never mind owning one.

Most of us could only dream of having the skill and guts to drive at those speeds, never mind ever being in the position of being able to do so.

Most of us will only be able to see such cars on TG, few of us will ever be in any position to see one in the flesh (well, I saw a Lambo a couple of years ago parked at my local Sainsburys, I've seen an AMG Merc once, parked up ....)

I would love to see the Bugatti Veyron up close. To sit in it would be heaven. But a dream, as I doubt that I will ever be that fortunate.

These are the cars, and the driving, that dreams are made of. TG gets me a little closer to that dream.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    I once brought a Skoda Fabia Vrs Diesel when it beat the Mini Cooper in a race around the Top Gear track.

They've tested the Citroen C1/Peugeout 107/Toyota Aygo (car football) - they've tested the Ford Fiesta and Skoda Yeti (and loved them both) - so they DO test everyday cars as well, they just make the tests quirky.

But not very often. They are more likely to have something that most people will never be able to afford. If it is liable to lose control if driven by anyone other than The Stig then it is considered an exciting drive and they rave about it.
  • 93_ZJ93_ZJ Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    These are the cars, and the driving, that dreams are made of. TG gets me a little closer to that dream.
    And that's exactly why the show is so successful.
    owl61uk wrote:
    maybe i am just getting old but would like to see more stuff on normalish cars
    If it did "proper" reviews of the kind of cars that most viewers can actually afford, it would be so dull that it wouldn't have a quarter of the audience it does now.

If you do a bit of searching you can find 1980s-90s editions of Top Gear online. God, they're a trial. I occasionally used to watch the show back then, and I thought I'd enjoy watching old episodes now from a retro perspective, but they're just so earnest about such boring cars that they can be a real slog to watch.

Remember, the original Top Gear that reviewed real-world cars was cancelled by the BBC specifically because its ratings had collapsed to almost nothing. Clarkson and Wilman pitched their vision of Top Gear as something quite different, and that's why the BBC took a punt on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    TG may be its own worst enemy. The show has a successful formula and is very successful both at home and abroad

Looking at the montage at the start looks like this series is going to be more of the same old same old. How many times can we watch Clarkson screaming about the track in a 500bhp merc or ferrari. Then again if it aint broke..............

Personally I could do without the guys driving cars that cost silly money and can do 200 mph. Last time I looked 70 was top speed limit in UK. How many folks take cars abroad to thrash them or race days to thrash them there. maybe i am just getting old but would like to see more stuff on normalish cars

Talk about missing the point of Top Gear.

I'm unlikely to chase a terrorist through a building site and win $100m in a poker game - should we stop making films like that and just make films about dull people who like ordinary cars?
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TG may be its own worst enemy. The show has a successful formula and is very successful both at home and abroad

Looking at the montage at the start looks like this series is going to be more of the same old same old. How many times can we watch Clarkson screaming about the track in a 500bhp merc or ferrari. Then again if it aint broke..............

It would make for very dull TV though.

You won't get 7 million people watching BBC2 on Sunday night if James May was conducting an extensive test drive of a Chevrolet Aveo or Jeremy Clarkson was extoling the virtues of the Kia Rio.

It's the exciting & often unattainable cars that viewers tune in to see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Gear India is amusing, as not only do they test ordinary everyday road going cars but they say
    "and now most importantly what is it like off road".
    They then proceed to test the car with family on board, over very bumpy unmade roads. :D
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make for very dull TV though.

You won't get 7 million people watching BBC2 on Sunday night if James May was conducting an extensive test drive of a Chevrolet Aveo or Jeremy Clarkson was extoling the virtues of the Kia Rio.

It's the exciting & often unattainable cars that viewers tune in to see.

This. It's entertainment, it's supposed to be fun to watch. Which is why it's successful.

Perhaps the P45 segment should have been split in two, as they often do? Alternatively, it might have been interesting to see how Jeremy went about designing it, building it and getting it approved to be road legal (all with just his hammer, of course).

As an aside, if you look the P45 up on the on-line databases, it comes back as a yellow Ford Transit..... :eek: :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave up on the last series felf a bit too scripted but I am back and enjoying it.
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave up on the last series felf a bit too scripted but I am back and enjoying it.

TG scripted, never.:D;)
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Headancer wrote: »
    Cant be too long before Bruce Dickinson is on ?
    Now he would prove an interesting guest. Wonder if the airfield could take a 747 landing though? :D
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I really enjoyed it. I've been watching the repeats on Dave, through a strong pain killer induced haze, so it was nice to see a new one and it made me laugh out loud for the first time in ages. Even the little throw away line about names needing more than vowels and Richards name being I A made me laugh :D
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up with my recording of this.

The whole P45/Dragons Den bit was hilarious. My wife and I were crying with laughter.

They must have had to get permission from so many people to film that.
This discussion has been closed.