Retail Workers - What do customers do that annoys you? (Part 3)

Comments

• LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    One for me is when customers are waiting outside the shop on Sundays staring through the shutters at least 15 mins before we open. Every shop opens at the same time. Why do they have nothing better to do than leave the house super early just to wait outside a shop so they can rush in to buy some batteries or something. It's usually old people and I work in an electrical shop.

We had a couple sitting in their car at 05:45 am as we were walking into the store to start our shift, they got out and shouted "Are you open now?" :o

No its 6am on a Sunday!! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    LiamCarbin wrote: »
    We had a couple sitting in their car at 05:45 am as we were walking into the store to start our shift, they got out and shouted "Are you open now?" :o

No its 6am on a Sunday!! :o

I'm seriously going to have to start up that charity intended to help people who wait outside shops all morning with proceeds going towards buying them a life or paying for Red Cross style parcels.
    So what if shops aren't open for a few days in they year IT ISN'T THE END OF THE WORLD!!!
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I make a plea on behalf of women customers? Please, please don't give change stacked on top of the receipt or notes. It makes putting change away very fiddly and time consuming and I'm sure you'd rather be serving the next customer than have me spending time oputting my money away
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    May I make a plea on behalf of women customers? Please, please don't give change stacked on top of the receipt or notes. It makes putting change away very fiddly and time consuming and I'm sure you'd rather be serving the next customer than have me spending time oputting my money away

As a woman customer, I don't find it a problem at all.
  • cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a woman customer, I don't find it a problem at all.

Me neither :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunny93 wrote: »
    A lady moaned at me the other day because we had run out of stock of something that she wanted. She ended her rant by telling me that she was never going to come back to the store. Did she REALLY think that I would care? Makes no difference to me, just one less stroppy customer to deal with!

While I understand your frustration, and of course she was wrong to rant at you like that for such a ridiculous reason, it's attitudes like yours that keep me shopping online!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    I'm loving the fact that we are getting posters on this thread now putting across 'the customer's point of view' and getting roundly slated for their petty-mindedness.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely enjoying it. If paying 5p for a bag, or a shop assistant using grammatically questionable sentences is the height of your problems, then I've got another life disaster for you - no-one cares what you think...:cool:

And again - the basic problem is that no one cares (apparently). This is why I make a point of shopping as much as I can at establishments that do care, or at least go to the trouble to give the impression that they care. Why would I give my money to anyone else?
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in an electrical store which is about a quarter of the size of a superstore one and the amount of people coming in and asking for certain items, then getting told we don't stock them, and then walking off in a huff is unreal.

Sorry madam, if you wait here I will go into the warehouse and manufacture one for you with my bare hands. We cannot stock every single item in the world to take away today, IT'S JUST NOT POSSIBLE!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And again - the basic problem is that no one cares (apparently). This is why I make a point of shopping as much as I can at establishments that do care, or at least go to the trouble to give the impression that they care. Why would I give my money to anyone else?

But if you're not one of the rude, unreasonable customers described, you're not going to get that reaction, surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    But not every person is the same, So they ask everyone because some people wait until the last second to produce a bag

Some deliberately wait to be asked so they can make a show of the fact they have their own bag

You come across as an awkward customer

And surely it's no big deal to simply say "No thank you, I have one" if asked if you want a bag...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if you're not one of the rude, unreasonable customers described, you're not going to get that reaction, surely?

Generally speaking I'm sure you're right but there have been occasions when staff have made it perfectly obvious that they don't care at all whether the customer is decently served or not. I'm talking about the ones that can't interrupt their phone conversation to take my money, or the ones who can't look at me because they're chatting with a colleague about what they did last night, the ones who never say please or thank you.

Apologies for derailing the thread, but I wanted to clarify.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I used to work at my local petrol service station and if someone filled their car and drove off without paying the management would split it equally between the two people working and deduct it from our wages. Thankfully it never happened when I was there but I'm sure that it's illegal to do that. :( how on earth do you stop someone driving off when we're inside? Surely they can't expect people to run out in front of the car to stop them....

Wow.

Even at my work they wouldn't do that. Still, panic stations when a pump goes red on the till! (indicating a payment hasn't been made after 20 mins)

Our boss passed away recently and the shop was closed for a few hours out of respect, the people closing the shop said people found it inconsiderate of us to close. Some were downright rude apparently. I was so angry when I found out after coming in to work straight after his funeral. Things like that just boggle my mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally speaking I'm sure you're right but there have been occasions when staff have made it perfectly obvious that they don't care at all whether the customer is decently served or not. I'm talking about the ones that can't interrupt their phone conversation to take my money, or the ones who can't look at me because they're chatting with a colleague about what they did last night, the ones who never say please or thank you.

Oh fair enough, that's certainly not acceptable.

But if customer service workers give a 'don't care' attitude to the stroppy or demanding customers, that's understandable in my book.
  • davidmace1979davidmace1979 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I used to work at my local petrol service station and if someone filled their car and drove off without paying the management would split it equally between the two people working and deduct it from our wages. Thankfully it never happened when I was there but I'm sure that it's illegal to do that. :( how on earth do you stop someone driving off when we're inside? Surely they can't expect people to run out in front of the car to stop them....

Luckily at the petrol station I work at we don't have to pay if its a drive off but do have to if we serve them with other items and not their fuel as it can't be proven if we have forgotten to ask if they have fuel or if they never mentioned it.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Our boss passed away recently and the shop was closed for a few hours out of respect, the people closing the shop said people found it inconsiderate of us to close. Some were downright rude apparently. I was so angry when I found out after coming in to work straight after his funeral. Things like that just boggle my mind.

I've never had a boss die, but at work we always had the 2 minute silence in November. When I worked in a shop inside a shopping centre there was always an announcement made about 10:55 as to what was happening, as well as little posters along the till points to say we would be observing the silence.

Anyway, fast forward to 11am and the the shopping centre plays the big ben noise over the tannoy and 99% of people stand still until they hear the "thank you" announcement 2 minutes later.

That 1% included 2 different people in my store who, totally oblivious to the fact everyone was standing still at 11am on that specific day in November, barged past everyone else and then said..loudly "Erm, can I get some service here? Hello? Excuse me, are you ignoring me?" and his other man, who wasn't even with her said "come on love, get a move on, who's in charge here?" to my colleague. All the other customers just started at them, totally surprised at their ignorance! When the 2 minute silence was over the supervisor came and had a go at them and told them buy their papers elsewhere. :D

They weren't even tourists, or kids, they were both actually quite elderly and one was even wearing a poppy!!! :confused:
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm always amused when people say that some of the sales staff were just "chatting"! I work in an electrical independent but used to be in one on the bigger (awful) places. Quite often during a busy day in those stores you might be waiting an hour+ to find a few minutes when both you and a colleague are not busy serving someone. in those few minutes there is a real chance there is a lot of info you have to pass between each other, for example which items you've sold the last of, what problems have arisen with previous sales, what delivery space is left, what kit you want to save because someone might be coming back for a big deal but you have one item in stock left that they can't sell etc... all important stuff but all the customer, who has been in the store for 1 minute 3 seconds, sees is sales staff having a "chat" & ignoring them. Yes we are there to serve the customer, but not JUST you, there were more before you that we might still be sorting out and more after you that we're trying to prep' for.
    On some occasions yes the guys will just be having a chat about something bugger all work related & if you are close enough to hear that by all means ask for help & interrupt, you might just have the look of someone that is "browsing" and they are waiting for you to settle somewhere before jumping on you to try and make a sale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    I'm always amused when people say that some of the sales staff were just "chatting"! I work in an electrical independent but used to be in one on the bigger (awful) places. Quite often during a busy day in those stores you might be waiting an hour+ to find a few minutes when both you and a colleague are not busy serving someone. in those few minutes there is a real chance there is a lot of info you have to pass between each other, for example which items you've sold the last of, what problems have arisen with previous sales, what delivery space is left, what kit you want to save because someone might be coming back for a big deal but you have one item in stock left that they can't sell etc... all important stuff but all the customer, who has been in the store for 1 minute 3 seconds, sees is sales staff having a "chat" & ignoring them. Yes we are there to serve the customer, but not JUST you, there were more before you that we might still be sorting out and more after you that we're trying to prep' for.
    On some occasions yes the guys will just be having a chat about something bugger all work related & if you are close enough to hear that by all means ask for help & interrupt, you might just have the look of someone that is "browsing" and they are waiting for you to settle somewhere before jumping on you to try and make a sale.

I'm talking specifically about the ones that are actually carrying on a conversation about their boyfriend/mother/last night's television WHILE they're serving me at the cash register and not about someone who's chatting quite naturally while NOT serving anyone.
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm talking specifically about the ones that are actually carrying on a conversation about their boyfriend/mother/last night's television WHILE they're serving me at the cash register and not about someone who's chatting quite naturally while NOT serving anyone.

Yeah, screw them. They drive me nuts too, especially at supermarkets where Doris is chatting to Irene on the till behind or carrying on talking to the regular customer they served before you!
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was caught on the till yesterday as a bunch of women, not in the queue, stood across from me and started to chat away in my ear shot. Not to bad? You might think.

Apparently, one of the ladies grandkids is a 'lazy pooer'. She rather poo her knickers out side while playing. That all this conversation what about. Me being forced to hear about a little girls pooing habits for ten minutes....
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd rather be serving the next customer than have me spending time oputting my money away
    Have you tried moving aside and allowing the next customer through whilst you fiddle putting your money away?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Honestly, so much does depend on your attitude as a customer, and the things you say (rude or pleasant) to the staff.

I've known staff rush around like lunatics trying to help customers get what they want, simply because they've been nice to deal with. And the same staff practically throwing change at customers because they had such a snooty "You're here to serve me, and I'm better than you" attitude.

I take your point that some shop assistants are also rude. But they've probably been dealing with rude customers all day. And if they're on a till all day, saying and doing the same things over and over again, a two minute chat with a customer or colleague is necessary to prevent the onset of insanity.

I repeat what I've said before - everyone should have to work in a shop for at least 6 months, then they'll know what it's like. :)
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, so much does depend on your attitude as a customer, and the things you say (rude or pleasant) to the staff.

I've known staff rush around like lunatics trying to help customers get what they want, simply because they've been nice to deal with. And the same staff practically throwing change at customers because they had such a snooty "You're here to serve me, and I'm better than you" attitude.

I take your point that some shop assistants are also rude. But they've probably been dealing with rude customers all day. And if they're on a till all day, saying and doing the same things over and over again, a two minute chat with a customer or colleague is necessary to prevent the onset of insanity.

I repeat what I've said before - everyone should have to work in a shop for at least 6 months, then they'll know what it's like. :)

The attitude of a customer really makes a difference. At the places I've worked, I've always achieved 100% on the MCMs. Customers generally like me, and the majority of the time, I have so much fun when I'm serving.

However, I'm not very good at dealing with rude people.

I remember working on the customer service desk years ago, and someone rang the store. I picked up the phone and said, "Hi, 'store name,' Jason speaking how may I help you today?"

The person on the other end started ranting and raving, and to be honest I'm still not sure what it was about because within 10 seconds of them shouting I'd hung up the phone.

More recently someone was shouting at me about prices while I was stocking up, so I just walked out the back, had a drink of water and came back onto the shop floor to them telling the manager I was rude.

I interrupted and said some people consider it rude to shout at other people for no reason, and walked off again.

Of course I have had all the threats over the years too. I generally offer to clock out and get out of my uniform. That tends to shut them up.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member

I second that, and over the christmas period too.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Customers working on Boxing Day, No thanks as the shops should be closed on that day.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wish customers would curb their language, I asked a man if he wanted to buy a bag and he replied with 'nah I'm taking the fu**ING trolley home. Sure he would have complained had I said that 12 fu**ING quid please.
This discussion has been closed.