The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    Firstly I would check the T&Cs if I were you.

Secondly I think I was rather civil. I did after all apologise for appearing sarcastic.

Your turn.

Tbf, you weren't being civil, Button - being sarcastic and saying that posters on the thread were asking silly questions is not being civil. Some will consider that as being rude, even if you don't mean to be.

Secondly, in anyonefortennis's defence, because they had to answer a call, he/she didn't know if the viewers saw one characters actually kill Joyce. That's why they asked the question. As it is, you came to it with pre-conceived ideas as why anyonefortennis shouldn't be asking the question (albeit in a sarcastic way), chose not to answer their question, and then proceeded to denigrate the other questions other posters asked (some of which are probably geniunely queries).

I know some things on DS can irritate - it does me often enough. But being "rude" to posters isn't the way to deal with it - some people don't take to sarcasm all that well all the time. You just get into a spiral of pointless arguments otherwise.
  • cyber_davcyber_dav Posts: 1,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thought that seems OK in your mind, and written down, may not be perceived in the same way by someone else reading it.

One posters gentle humour is another persons unnecessary sarcasm
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cyber_dav wrote: »
    A thought that seems OK in your mind, and written down, may not be perceived in the same way by someone else reading it.

One posters gentle humour is another persons unnecessary sarcasm

Yes, this too:) (Edit: I meant the whole post, btw)

The many times I've fallen foul of the BIB...:o
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Tbf, you weren't being civil, Button - being sarcastic and saying that posters on the thread were asking silly questions is not being civil. Some will consider that as being rude, even if you don't mean to be.

Secondly, in anyonefortennis's defence, because they had to answer a call, he/she didn't know if the viewers saw one characters actually kill Joyce. That's why they asked the question. As it is, you came to it with pre-conceived ideas as why anyonefortennis shouldn't be asking the question (albeit in a sarcastic way), chose not to answer their question, and then proceeded to denigrate the other questions other posters asked (some of which are probably geniunely queries).

I know some things on DS can irritate - it does me often enough. But being "rude" to posters isn't the way to deal with it - some people don't take to sarcasm all that well all the time. You just get into a spiral of pointless arguments otherwise.

I think the only person who has been rude is anyonefortennis who called me an ignorant moron !

I on the other hand asked a simple question and apologised ..... I stand by what I said, some people can't concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time, and the simplest of storylines are beyond them.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded the first two and after the ten minute introductory homage to Fleetwood Mac, stopped and deleted
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    I recorded the first two and after the ten minute introductory homage to Fleetwood Mac, stopped and deleted
    Not a Fleetwood Mac fan then.;)

But seriously....seriously!....stopped and deleted after 10mins....:eek:

It's actually very good.:cool:
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it true that the guy who shot Reagan did it to impress Jodie Foster?:confused:

Why do Phelizabeth go to a hotel room for a bit of rumpy pumpy - they're married?:confused:

What is that thing in the woods that they're sending coded messages to Moscow on?:confused:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it true that the guy who shot Reagan did it to impress Jodie Foster?:confused:

Why do Phelizabeth go to a hotel room for a bit of rumpy pumpy - they're married?:confused:

What is that thing in the woods that they're sending coded messages to Moscow on?:confused:

Yes.

Maybe to bring some excitement back to the marriage.

It was probably a cipher encoder machine which they would decipher the messages in Moscow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Maybe to bring some excitement back to the marriage.

It was probably a cipher encoder machine which they would decipher the messages in Moscow.

Why is it in the woods & aren't they afraid that someone might find it? Doesn't it need to be hooked up to a telephone line to work?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it in the woods & aren't they afraid that someone might find it? Doesn't it need to be hooked up to a telephone line to work?

I assumed they had to transmit the messages in the woods because the signal could be picked up easily and traced if they sent the messages from their home or elsewhere. The machine looked huge, so I suppose for dramatic purposes they kept it hidden in the woods.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Ratings are dropping badly. Hope ITV stick with it. Its the best thing on by a mile. The rest of their sat night schedule was awful
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Pleased they aren't forgetting the Kids...;)

Not a great episode last night, but still interesting with the Box of Guns in the Wood, and the ease in which Elizabeth killed the Security Guard.:eek:

I feel Nina is going to be trouble for them both....and maybe Claudia even more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

Not a great episode last night, but still interesting with the Box of Guns in the Wood, and the ease in which Elizabeth killed the Security Guard.:eek:

I feel Nina is going to be trouble for them both....and maybe Claudia even more.

Is Nina the Russian secretary? I don't understand her - surely she'd be better off owning up to stealing the caviar, as the punishment for that would be far more lenient than spying for the enemy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was that she shot through to muffle the sound of the gun-shot?
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member

Was that box the same box they gave to her when she was younger in russia...i didn't get that part
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a Fleetwood Mac fan then.;)

But seriously....seriously!....stopped and deleted after 10mins....:eek:

It's actually very good.:cool:

I like Fleetwood Mac and love Tusk, I am going to give it another go after reading the mostly positive stuff on here!
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    surely she'd be better off owning up to stealing the caviar, as the punishment for that would be far more lenient than spying for the enemy?

She was smuggling stereo equipment back to the USSR. While the smuggling charge would be more lenient than espionage charges, it wouldn't be a slap on the wrist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    She was smuggling stereo equipment back to the USSR. While the smuggling charge would be more lenient than espionage charges, it wouldn't be a slap on the wrist.

Were Russians/Soviets not supposed to have stereos (might pollute their minds with western music)?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Were Russians/Soviets not supposed to have stereos (might pollute their minds with western music)?

Good stereo equipment would have been hard to come by in the USSR for reasons that have nothing to do with the authorities not liking Western music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On right now. "Why's everyone so punctual in this business?" LOL:D
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if Philip may end up as a double agent?

It's certainly going in that direction. So weird - I'm reading Jon Snow's autobiography (superb) at the moment, and he's writing about this very period as I watch (he was ITN Washington correspondent). Explained how the girlfriend of a double agent who re-re-defected was alleged to have committed suicide by jumping off a tower block - so like last week's episode.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Ratings are dropping badly. Hope ITV stick with it. Its the best thing on by a mile. The rest of their sat night schedule was awful

What are the exact ratings out of interest? Lower ratings will be acceptable in these summer months, but not too low.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    What are the exact ratings out of interest? Lower ratings will be acceptable in these summer months, but not too low.

I heard the latest episode was down to 800,000 viewers, when the pilot got close to 2 million.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm, I’d say 800,000 viewers for 10pm Saturday night ITV is concerning, it certainly can’t afford to drop any further.
    That compares to the approximate 2.5 million The Jonathon Ross Show was getting in a similar slot earlier this year, although The Jonathon Ross Show costs them less financially and had a much stronger lead in line up.
    I suspect that it’ll gradually be moved slightly later and if it continues to lose viewers it’ll be put in a late night slot.

It’s a shame because it’s a good programme, but it doesn’t fit in with the ITV ‘Saturday night’ format. I can’t help but think that it would have been more successful (comparatively) if Sky, Channel 4 or Channel 5 had won their bids for the programme.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its official slot tonight is 9.45 - 10.30, so no adverts at all? Be interesting to see!