Who Do you Think You Are? New Series

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I want to watch Jerry Hall tonight. Her fake southern drawl grates on me.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Not sure I want to watch Jerry Hall tonight. Her fake southern drawl grates on me.

I thought that was how they spoke in Texas. I think I'll watch because she's got ancestors who worked in the Lancashire cotton mills, which is where my own ancestors worked, so it'll be quite interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I thought that was how they spoke in Texas. I think I'll watch because she's got ancestors who worked in the Lancashire cotton mills, which is where my own ancestors worked, so it'll be quite interesting.

They do speak with a drawl in Texas but hers is accentuated for affect.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do speak with a drawl in Texas but hers is accentuated for affect.

I always understood that Texas was a big place so I am sure there are different accents in different areas as well as many other influences. We seem to regularly get accusations of accents being not natural because some seem to expect everyone to have the same accent, after all we know from Disney that everyone in England speaks like Dick van Dyke did and everyone is Scotland like Rab C Nesbitt ........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I did a double-take when I saw that Huguenot weaver's house. I am sure someone in the last series had Huguenot ancestors - was it Eddie Izzard? -and visited that place.

I found myself thinking "Oh no, not the Huguenot weaver story again", so it was nice to have the lowdown on a very different posh Huguenot from the Court of Louis XIV.

The generations between the ancestor who was Chaplain to the Duke of Devonshire and the ones living in East End slums were left out, perhaps because the riches-to-rags Huguenot saga had been done before.

Was it Hugh Dennis?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was on Thursday.

Where are you all watching it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God, this woman is areal bore, and the programme is dull
  • muzungumuzungu Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    I remember her advice to other women- in her early days of romance with Mick Jagger - to give your man a blow-job every day to keep him interested.
    Maybe that's where she got her drawl from.

And it didn't work either :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    muzungu wrote: »
    I remember her advice to other women- in her early days of romance with Mick Jagger - to give your man a blow-job every day to keep him interested.
    Maybe that's where she got her drawl from.

And it didn't work either :D

lol :D
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Jerry Hall was alright and quite funny at times. I was interested to learn some of the history, especially of the 1812 War between the UK and US.
  • KittygodfreeKittygodfree Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobMiles wrote: »
    I thought Jerry Hall was alright and quite funny at times. I was interested to learn some of the history, especially of the 1812 War between the UK and US.

Thought it was a good one, far more interestin than some , at least it went back far enough for her to discover her roots unlike some of the episodes.
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    RobMiles wrote: »

I think Jerry came across well and seemed a lot more concerned about her distant relatives owning slaves and displacing the Indians than the people giving her the information!
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all of that was in the USA. The Oldham bit only seemed to be included as an excuse to justify BBC involvement. Perhaps she's not famous enough any more in America to get onto WDYTYA USA?
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,380
    Forum Member
    I wasn't looking forward to it but found it very interesting. Jerry was better than I thought she would be and very nice. Loved her meeting the family who lady saw her in bet crib. Slightly wacky but nice.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Almost all of that was in the USA. The Oldham bit only seemed to be included as an excuse to justify BBC involvement. Perhaps she's not famous enough any more in America to get onto WDYTYA USA?

I guess because she now lives in the UK that's why she was chosen.

Her Great Grandfather spent the first part of his life in Oldham and got married to his first wife there, who Jerry didn't know about. She also went to see the type of place he worked at. The house he lived in still exists and Jerry went to have a look at it. I think that justified them going to Oldham.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »

Why does it matter which version she's on anyhow ? I expect you're right in that she's probably less well know in America than here but she's an interesting person who has been in the public eye for decades now and worthy of inclusion.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't expect to get through the whole episode last night with Jerry. In fact it was OK. Learnt nothing new particularly but it did break up the series with someone going across to US. I'm tracing my family tree and have a few ancestors who made the move across at that time via Liverpool.
  • maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerry Hall has always seemed likable to me. Enjoyed the episode but parts did drag on.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a double-take when I saw that Huguenot weaver's house. I am sure someone in the last series had Huguenot ancestors - was it Eddie Izzard? -and visited that place.

I found myself thinking "Oh no, not the Huguenot weaver story again", so it was nice to have the lowdown on a very different posh Huguenot from the Court of Louis XIV.

The generations between the ancestor who was Chaplain to the Duke of Devonshire and the ones living in East End slums were left out, perhaps because the riches-to-rags Huguenot saga had been done before.
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I haven't seen all the series of WDYTYA so I've not heard any of the other stories of people with Huguenot ancestors. None of the people I've watched have had them so it would have been interesting for them to touch on it as it seemed quite a rapid fall for them.
    lundavra wrote: »
    I am sure there have previously been Huguenot connections.

I once did a few lookups for a friend with a Huguenot background. It can be useful to have Huguenots in the family tree as there a number of charities still running for them.
    LokisMuse wrote: »
    Was it Hugh Dennis?

Julia Sawalha. Series 3.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/whodoyouthinkyouare/past-stories/julia-sawalha.shtml

Could have been others I've missed.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the Jerry Hall episode. Best so far this series for me. Jerry came across as a really nice lady. On the whole an interesting story.
  • RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not grabbing me as yet. Malone is engaging enough.
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing Anita Rani's episode whenever it's on. For reason I really like the WDYTYA episodes which see them traveling far away.

I remember when Alastair McGowan and Rupert Penry-Jones found out that they had Indian ancestry.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episode with Gareth E Malone. Although, born in London, to us, he will always be a Bournemouth lad. Can vaguely remember a group of lads busking in the Arcade.

My inlaws were in musical entertainment, so this programme was extremely entertaining.

Personally, I have heard the name of Edward Payne, as a Victorian entertainer before.
    Wonderful for Malone's grandfather to see his own grandfather in film, albeit a silent movie.
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best one this series so far.