Quitting work and taking a chance

2»

Comments

• azzaazza Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    If you have some financial security, a desire to do something you have always wanted to do, and a job that is horrible, then I say go for it. Give your notice in tomorrow morning!

If everything works out, brilliant. If it all goes south, you'll have had fun doing it - and you'll have time to find a another job.

I decided to leave a soul destroying IT job and do what I wanted, and gave myself 6 months to make a go of it. That was 7 years ago and I've not looked back. Only wished I'd done it sooner.

Sometimes it takes a leap of faith, or a big event to shock us into action.

Life's too short. Go write a book. And find a beach somewhere to sit on while doing the writing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I have no advice but I can tell you I've just done pretty much the same thing. I'm a couple of years older and decided since I had some money in the bank - why save my dreams for later when I retire when I can give it a go now.

I'm on my third month of being unemployed and halfway through writing a novel, whether it's any good or not remains to be seen but at least I'm giving it a go and will never say 'if only'.

In the meantime I realised I miss my old job a little and have found a similar, but more interesting, job that I'm starting in the new year. Best of all is that it's part time so I don't have the stress of full time working and can carry on with my writing.

Only you know if this is what you really want to do. I typed up my letter of resignation, talked a few close friends and the more I did the more I knew I needed to do it.

I can honestly say I have no regrets and I'm excited about the future. But it IS scary, especially when you see your savings going down.

As others have said, at the very least, ask if you could take a sabbatical of sorts or reduce your hours.

Good luck!
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for all the replies, it has been very helpful - even if I'm still not sure exactly what I am going to do! I think I will try and make it through to the new year and make a decision then.

Its good to hear that those who have made such a move mostly seem to have felt positive about having done so.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Probably a good idea to keep the job for a few months before doing anything rash. Maybe make enquiries about getting a less stressful job in a similar area. Preferably one where you aren't in direct touch with the users.

I got annoyed with my job when I was about 30 and tried writing a novel in my spare time. My novel was rubbish but even if it hadn't been the chances of getting it published, let alone making pots of money, would have been very low.

Eventually I moved to a much better job which I enjoyed.
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi OP

I can really relate to your issue.
    I too am an IT Engineer but have the luxury of working for a large corporate with amazing flexibility and the ability to "hide" if necessary.

Not a day goes by where I wonder if this is what I will be doing for the rest of my life?

I feel bad when I get these thoughts because I earn an excellent wage and have excellent work/life conditions. But I'm not happy in the job.

I don't have any money to fall back on and with a wife and two children quitting is just not an option - unless everyone doesn't mind us losing the house soon after.

Do you have any dependents? I'm guessing no.

I say go with your heart. You are not happy and are in a position to change that......so do it!

Why not take a job at a pub in between your writing hours so that you have some sort of structure and a small additional income coming in?

All the luck with whatever you choose.

TL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I would leave, if your in ICT and you have good experience you will get another job, unless you live in the country.

I have about £10k, I assume you have much much more. and I am going to quit work to try and set up on my own. If it does not work out just go back to work in an easier place, after a year or so.

For god shake go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wanted to be a fostercarer, so when I got made redundant and found it hard to get another job, I decided to sell my one bed and rent a 3 bed (I also was having problems with the mortgage which would have escalted over time and I was at risk of having my onebed repossessed). I started the traing and was enjoying it. 3 days training then a wait for the accessment process to start. Unfortunately the council where I live is crap and a year into a process that was only supposed to take 3 months I was still no nearer the end. So due to personal and financial commitments, I had to end the process at the start of the year; now I am back where I started in a one bed and with not much money.
    But you know what? At least I tried and gave it the best shot I could at the time.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    But you know what? At least I tried and gave it the best shot I could at the time.

That is one of the thoughts that does keep circling through my mind. Yes, it could be the stupidest decision I ever make. Yes, I might turn out to be a dreadful novel writer. I might make no money of such an endeavour. But at least I'd know for sure. I'd never look back and go "perhaps if I'd been more brave, I might have been able to live my dream."

Heck, I don't even need to write the next Harry Potter! If I only made the same money as I do now, it would be a success for me. Same money and a job I love. Heck, even less money and a job I loved would be worth it.

It's just such a scary prospect to put oneself intentionally out of work!
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not read the replies to your original post.

You do what your gut tells you man.

All I would say is that you have obviously reached a pivotal time in your life.
    If you feel deep inside that is is the time for you to change things in your life.....well go for it!

In ten years time do not be thinking "I wish I had done (whatever) in 2013/2014 when the opportunity arose".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    The only thing I would add is that being in IT your experience can get out of date quiet quickly if you wished to return.

If you have a good relationship with your employer you might find that they are willing to be more flexible than you think to have you employed even on a part time basis. Before you quit I would realistically think about how much contact your going to have with other people are you the type of person that needs face to face contact with people each day. Maybe if your employers aren't flexible you could do some unpaid voluntary work to keep your hand in. Good thing about volunteering is they are nearly always pleased to see you and you can walk away if it becomes too much.