Options

Multi Format Online Gaming

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone answer as to why Multi Format Online Gaming hasn't happened?

What I mean by that is take Grand Theft Auto Online for example, you can only see the gamers on the same format as you, so why not add other formats instead of just a 1 format only session?

Comments

• Options
    jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Can anyone answer as to why Multi Format Online Gaming hasn't happened?

What I mean by that is take Grand Theft Auto Online for example, you can only see the gamers on the same format as you, so why not add other formats instead of just a 1 format only session?

i know that PS3 XBOX multi format doesnt exist :/ im surprised it doesnt. i know that some kids eg Shadowrun for xbox 360 allows for Pc/Xbox multi format gaming. :)
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because MS doesn't want corrupt Sony saves crashing or finding an exploit in an XBox.

True story.
  • Options
    martytartymartytarty Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I know Portal 2 on ps3 could be linked to Steam allowing you to co-op with PC players.

It's something I'd like to see more often between Console & PC

Will we ever see Sony & Microsoft (the dark side ;-)) together online holding hands? I don't think so
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Final Fantasy XIV (an MMORPG) can be played on PC, PS3 and PS4. Players from all three on the one server.

It seems to be Sony and MS not been able to get on with each other .... for some reason.
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned, Sony users could log into Steam, but Microsoft flat out said there was no way Xbox owners would do the same - they wanted them within the Xbox Live walled garden. Probably contributed towards Gabe's dislike of MS.

For purely practical reasons, there aren't likely to be too many FPS games that support cross platform multiplayer due to Mouse and Keyboard pwning controller. Even less twitchy games like DC Universe Online keep PC and PS3 separate. From their FAQ:

"We want DC Universe Online to be an experience that's fun, rewarding and balanced for both console and PC gamers, so we've decided to keep the platforms separate."
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony have always been open to the idea of cross-platform play, it's long been known that MS are the ones that stop it from happening.

It's the reason games such as Warthunder have never appeared on Xbox One.

It's never really been acknowledged as to why, bar some talk that Microsoft needs to certify game servers to ensure a "good experience" but as an industry insider whoever,hey's info seems entirely plausible.

All of a sudden though, MS seem to be opening to to the idea of cross-play with Windows 10 games. Funny how things change when these's an opportunity for self promotion.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably a great deal of it is to do with security. MS probably don't want to open up their network to Sony's, who to be fair don't have a good reputation of having a secure network.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martytarty wrote: »
    It's something I'd like to see more often between Console & PC

Will we ever see Sony & Microsoft (the dark side ;-)) together online holding hands? I don't think so

If we saw more PC & Console cross play games it seem inevitable that would open the way to console cross play. How would the stop a PS4 player joining a PC server which happens to already have XB1 players in the server. Outside of exclusives you can't really have one without the other.
    For purely practical reasons, there aren't likely to be too many FPS games that support cross platform multiplayer due to Mouse and Keyboard pwning controller.

Easily solved by either adding Keyboard and Mouse support to console games (All consoles have USB ports and I know PS3 was compatible with Mouse and Keyboards). Or they could just make Controller only servers forcing PC players who want to play in those servers to use a controller.

The only thing holding this idea back is a lack of interest from those people involved in making games and/or the platform holders.
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Street Fighter V will have PS4-PC cross platform play and I know back in 2007 Epic games were testing PS3-PC cross platform play in Unreal Tournament 3 but a lot of the PC only players didn't want it and there was also the issue with patching.

The clients would need to be running the same versions and patching on console has to go through QA whilst the PC doesn't so updates on the PS3 would hold back the PC. This is also the reason why Valve dropped cross platform play with PS3-PC in Counter-Strike: GO.

For those who don't know, the PS4 supports mouse and keyboard just like the PS3 but there aren't any games that use it yet.