Options

What happened to Hollyoaks College? And other businesses.

ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I started watching Hollyoaks some 10-12 years ago the show was primarily based around a college. You mostly had students, the cursed student flat in dorms, SUBar, the college swimming pool/juice bar. Now they all seem to be gone and replaced with a high school and a hospital. I stopped watching for a few years, did they close down the college, or did it just fade into the background?

Now that I think of it, the only thing that's been in the show since I started watching is The Dog in the Pond, though even that's been refurbished a few times.

Other businesses which have come and gone:

Il Gnosh
Gnot Gnosh
Drive n Buy
The American diner
The smoothie bar
Chez chez

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Bryan Kirkwood happened.

It's now a medical drama
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Il Gnosh and drive 'n' buy sets were merged together after the 2010 fire to create firstly The gym owned by Tony and Cindy which is now The Hutch Restaurant owned by Diane and Ste

The American diner, Relish was closed down in 2011 and hasn't been mentioned since, Im not even sure what set they used for that

The Smoothie Bar/Gnot Gnosh is now The flower shop owned by Trevor Royle

and of course Chez Chez was renamed The Loft which is owned by Grace Black and Freddie Roscoe, and is currently being renovated (about time and all!)

Although The College and SU Bar have been replaced with the hospital set, I think we are still supposed to believe that Hollyoaks is a student village but without a visible college set
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I started watching Hollyoaks some 10-12 years ago the show was primarily based around a college. You mostly had students, the cursed student flat in dorms, SUBar, the college swimming pool/juice bar. Now they all seem to be gone and replaced with a high school and a hospital. I stopped watching for a few years, did they close down the college, or did it just fade into the background?

Now that I think of it, the only thing that's been in the show since I started watching is The Dog in the Pond, though even that's been refurbished a few times.

Other businesses which have come and gone:

Il Gnosh
    Gnot Gnosh
    Drive n Buy
    The American diner
    The smoothie bar
    Chez chez

Any others?

it morphed into a hospital :D

Chez Chez is now The Loft
    Drive N Buy is now the shop owned/run by the Lovedays

not sure about the others - sorry
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member

Il Gnosh
    Gnot Gnosh
    Drive n Buy
    The American diner
    The smoothie bar
    Chez chez

HCC and the SU Bar is now the hospital.
    The school is because they can now use the Grange Hill set.
    Il Knosh is Tony's restaurant but was the Spa for awhile.
    Gnot Gnosh became MOBs and is now the Florists.
    Drive N Buy became part of the Spa, so is now part of Tony's.
    There was also a laundrette, which became a salon. I can't remember what it was after that but it became Doug and Ste's deli and is now the junk shop which Dirk runs.
    The American Dinner has become the Coffee Shop.
    Chez Chez has reverted back to the loft.
    Price Slice, was Evissa, Louise's salon and before that it was the Hunters car shop.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Il Gnosh and drive 'n' buy sets were merged together after the 2010 fire to create firstly The gym owned by Tony and Cindy which is now The Hutch Restaurant owned by Diane and Ste

The American diner, Relish was closed down in 2011 and hasn't been mentioned since, Im not even sure what set they used for that

The Smoothie Bar/Gnot Gnosh is now The flower shop owned by Trevor Royle

and of course Chez Chez was renamed The Loft which is owned by Grace Black and Freddie Roscoe, and is currently being renovated (about time and all!)

Although The College and SU Bar have been replaced with the hospital set, I think we are still supposed to believe that Hollyoaks is a student village but without a visible college set

Trevor owns a flower shop? I think my ovaries just exploded.
  • Options
    VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people are forgetting Chez Chez was originally called The Loft. I didn't like it when PM named it but it grew on me. What I don't like and still don't like is that BK went back and called it The Loft. There was no need for it and it seems like he was going back rather forward.

I really hope HO gets a new producer soon as I loathed BK's work the first time (even though everyone loved it) but I actually liked his second run till about late 2013! 2012-13 was was overall good! The only thing that dragged 2013 down was the Roscoes in the end! The Roscoes are TV at its worst! It just doesn't feel like HO anymore! They've lost their roots and their plot lines!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trevor owns a flower shop? I think my ovaries just exploded.

Just like Grace's then.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VIP101 wrote: »
    Just like Grace's then.

Bahahahaha! Bad JoP but I'm howling.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bryan Kirkwood happened.

It's now a medical drama

and now a police drama :D
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the original set up :(

Il Gnosh, Drive an' Buy, Evissa, The Loft, Max & OB's smoothie shop, the Dog, the University halls & the SU bar.

Each place was used and it felt natural. Unlike now with the hospital and never ending reasons for characters to end up there.

I'd like all the above to return all with different owners.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I think people are forgetting Chez Chez was originally called The Loft. I didn't like it when PM named it but it grew on me. What I don't like and still don't like is that BK went back and called it The Loft. There was no need for it and it seems like he was going back rather forward.

I really hope HO gets a new producer soon as I loathed BK's work the first time (even though everyone loved it) but I actually liked his second run till about late 2013! 2012-13 was was overall good! The only thing that dragged 2013 down was the Roscoes in the end! The Roscoes are TV at its worst! It just doesn't feel like HO anymore! They've lost their roots and their plot lines!

Everything Kirkwood has done since he's come back has been about turning the clock back to 2006 and erasing everything that happened while he was gone. Right down to turning Ste straight and sticking him with another baby and an Amy replacement. It is the weirdest damn thing a producer has ever done to a show.

I hate the whole show now, it's rank. But I've moved on, I just don't watch.

And to answer the original question, no one really knows why, but Kirkwood decided he couldn't be arsed with students any more and he preferred making a stunningly rubbish version of Holby. So they're gone. As are most of the viewers.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They sadly phased it out for that pathetic, negligent hospital which can't even figure out who has been killing patients with fatal doses of potassium.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member

It didn't really make sense for it to still be called Chez Chez when Cheryl was no longer there- it would confuse viewers. I think it was right to change it back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    It didn't really make sense for it to still be called Chez Chez when Cheryl was no longer there- it would confuse viewers. I think it was right to change it back.

It was Carmel's idea to return it to being The Loft. Carmel really hasn't got any links to wanting it to be called The Loft again, so it would be better if they came up with a new name. Even if the kept it the same it wouldn't have confused viewers, it would have been better to call it a new name.