If a child asked you if God exists, what would you say?

Comments

• batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I'd say, follow the evidence, then make up your own mind.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say I do but some people don't and when you are older you can learn as much about as you can then make up your own mind, and that not to be surprised if you change your mind more than once as you travel through life, and whatever you believe is fine by me.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put on a stentorian voice and proclaim 'I Am Your God'
  • Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    No, because that comes across as trying to make the child an atheist.

If answering a question honestly comes across as "trying to make someone an atheist" then that speaks volumes regarding the process of religious indoctrination.

If people wish to chose a deity to worship they can, but it would be incredibly dishonest to imply any particular god was real if a child asked the question.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Put on a stentorian voice and proclaim 'I Am Your God'
    Isn't that the potato man from Doctor Who? Would that really work?
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be lying to a child because I don't know if a god exists or not. I'd be lying if I said a god didn't exist, because I don't know if that's true or not.

If a child thought there were monsters under his/her bed, I doubt you or anyone else on here would say "I can't see them, I can't hear them, there is no evidence of them, but they might exist, they could be watching you right now, sleep tight"

If any child asked me I would tell them that gods and religions are man made concepts from a time when people didn't know any better.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say "I don't believe in God. What do you think?"

I also believe that imposing the notion of hell on a child is a form of psychological abuse.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about saying to the child that god does exist and must be worshipped? Is that coming across as trying to make the child a Christian?

Is either as good/bad (delete as applicable) as the other or is one good and the other bad (I'll let the reader choose which way round that is, based on their personal belief system)?
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that I don't believe that there is, but some people do. I'd ask what they think and why. I'd also ensure there were lots of age-appropriate reading material reflecting both views, as my parents did (Bilble Stores for Children vs Origin of Species!! :D).

My dad had quite a god-fearing upbringing but is a pure evolutionist, however he likes the thought of god and the moral compass he feels religion provides. And he knows the words to loads of hymns which he can sign beautifully :)

A few weeks ago my 3.5 year old was doing something she shouldn't have been and my Mum said to her "God's watching you". Child asked where God lived and my Mum replied he was in the sky. Wise child then replied "Well he's not going to be able to see me all the way down here then, is he?!!"
  • bleuh111bleuh111 Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    If a child thought there were monsters under his/her bed, I doubt you or anyone else on here would say "I can't see them, I can't hear them, there is no evidence of them, but they might exist, they could be watching you right now, sleep tight"

If any child asked me I would tell them that gods and religions are man made concepts from a time when people didn't know any better.

Agree, the monsters under the bed is a good example for when people ask these types of questions. The only reason a little more explaining is preferred in the case of a child asking about a god is that of course there are plenty of adults in the world who believe in such a thing. In all cases, I would want to encourage my child to learn critical thinking and analytical skills and make up their own mind about monsters, gods, werewolves, witches, ghosts and anything else. But fundamentally my answer to the question would be the same as my answer if they asked me about monsters under the bed, or if they asked me whether an invisible man called Timmy followed them around all the time - that it is pointless to believe something exists until you have some evidential reason to believe it exists.

So I'd say "no", but point out that often when we say "no" to questions like "Is there a god?", "Is there a monster under my bed?", "Is it possible that if I say bagel three times in a row I might die?", what we really mean is "there's no reason to think that's true, or to even live your life with any serious regard for a possibility that it might be true, so in other words, you can treat reality as if this isn't true until you have some solid reason to believe otherwise."
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All children are, by default, atheists. It's only when the religious brainwashing kicks in that situation changes.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All children are, by default, atheists. It's only when the religious brainwashing kicks in that situation changes.

Why would a child ask if god existed if they were an atheist?
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here, have a ninja turtle and go away.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member

Depends on your definition of atheist.

Mine is someone with no belief in any gods which is presumably how children will be until someone tells them a god exists.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    They already do believe.

How healthy.

You don't think it might be an idea to leave them to make up their own minds once they are old enough to make a rational analysis? Or do you think indoctrination of children is serving the world well, overall?
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    How healthy.

You don't think it might be an idea to leave them to make up their own minds once they are old enough to make a rational analysis? Or do you think indoctrination of children is serving the world well, overall?

It is all going wonderfully well, especially with the youngest of the Abrahamic religions.

Yahweh would be so proud - He really loves violence.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member

Because sometime after being born an atheist someone tried to make them a theist.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because sometime after being born an atheist someone tried to make them a theist.

Not necessarily. The child could have heard talk about god and they then became curious.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I would - and have - said it depends upon what is meant by God. If its a god in whose name people kill, then no. But if god is another name for the living universe, then yes I believe in that.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I would say 'no-one knows, but some people believe there is a god; some believe there are many gods; and some don't believe there are any. It is something people have to make their own minds up about.'
  • Isabella_SaideIsabella_Saide Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I think that would leave him reflect on this matter and talk that one day he would have the buyback beliefs.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    mystery23 wrote: »
    What would you say?

I've had this with both mine and friends kids. I told them I don't know, it's for them to decide for themselves. Some people believe, others don't. I explained I'm agnostic, Mr Python is atheist and what those terms mean.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member
    I would say no, he/it does not exist, it's just something that man made up.
  • mystery23mystery23 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I would say no, he/it does not exist, it's just something that man made up.

Would you still say this if a child came up to you and said 'my grandmother is very sick. My mom says that if I pray hard enough to God then she'll get better.'
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    mystery23 wrote: »
    Would you still say this if a child came up to you and said 'my grandmother is very sick. My mom says that if I pray hard enough to God then she'll get better.'

If the grandmother dies then the child will believe it's her fault, because she didn't pray hard enough. >:(
This discussion has been closed.