Help with Mobile Contract

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had my mobile contract with the network 3 for a year, it then ended last year and now I am with Orange. Had a letter through the post this morning from 3 claiming that I owe them £17.00 from my old contract and now because I haven’t paid they are threatening to take the matter further. Does any one know if they can do this after having no contact with me for a year, plus the fact that I paid my bills through direct debit with them ? Bit worried now :mad:

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the £17 for? Why don't you think 3 are entitled to this money?

Is this the first that you have been advised about this amount that 3 claim you owe them? I doubt it as the initial request for money doesn't usually come with threats to recover it if you fail to pay. If not, why have you left matters this long? Debts don't just disappear if you ignore them.

Did you cancel the DD mandate when you cancelled the contract, which prevented 3 from collecting their final payment? (e.g. call charges which are collected in arrears)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did'nt cancel my DD I just ended my contract with them, the £17 is for outstanding calls ?

This is the first time that I have had any letters from 3 since my contract ended, otherwise I would have paid this amount last year. Since I did'nt cancel my DD why did'nt they take this amount out last year when my contract ended ?

Going to ring them today and see what they say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may very well be the final amount you owe. You cant just end a contract and not expect there to be no money owing, unless you have previous bills stating your balance was zero when you cancelled the contract.

Check it out with 3, but these companies arent evil, they dont make up amounts to get more money out of you. If I were you i would pay the last £17 then the matter is done and dusted. If however you are sure you dont owe them the money, contact their customer service team and find out what the £17 is for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, it's probably correct in that it's for calls during the 'notice period' of cancelling your contract. I've cancelled a few contracts with Vodafone and they make it a fairly painful process for obvious reasons. I had to call them, then confirm the cancellation in writing (in this day and age). Then it was a month from that point before the phone actually stopped working.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've made calls then the company are entitled to charge you for them. Isn't it just a lot simpler to pay them the £17 and have it done with? You don't want them taking you to court for a poxy £17 now do you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Believe me that they will try and beat you with anything to do with money. Someone once told me that they mother was arrested for not paying £1.00.

I have read a case about someone owing 50p council tax and they tried to take them to court.
  • chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should pay it or you could get in trouble
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may very well be the final amount you owe.
    I'm think it will be. I've recently ended my Three contract (only so I can then start a new Three contract on another cashback deal) and the Customer Service Advisor clearly explained that I will receive a final bill after I've disconnected, and that I will need to call them to arrange payment of this - it will not be taken by Direct Debit.