Options

Cat Has Adopted Me

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would speak to the owners again. Emphasize that the cat seems to be suffering injuries but not returning home so it really might be in its best interest to sign him over to you. Try not to apportion blame, both parties should decide what is best for the cat. If they won't sign it over then you'll just have to put up with the situation as without ownership you cant get vet treatment and without up to date inoculation certificates you wont get cattery accommodation when needed.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    As a cat owner this pisses me off, sorry the cat has a home and you know it and it is just trying his luck. The fact that you are letting him into your house means as far as he is concerned your house is now fair game to him. We have had several cats try and come into our home but once they have been chased out a couple of times they don't come back as often. Letting him in is only encouraging him. My cat can sit outside in the rain and look really sorry for herself, and because she has a thyroid problem she actually looks quite thin and she could be mistaken for a stray sometimes.

Cats can and do roam quite far, maybe you should speak to the owners again and stop letting him in. He is not your cat. And if you won't speak to the owners and just want to steal someone's pet then be prepared for vets bills, food costs, flea treatments, having to find someone to look after it or put it in a cattery when you want to go on holiday(if you won't speak to the owner or cats protection or RSPCA then you can't just dump it outside when you go on holiday), not being able to change your plans at the last minute and stay out all night as the cat will want feeding. Cats may not need daily walks but they do need a lot of attention and can cost a fortune especially when they get old.

I have to disagree, as a cat owner too.

Not all owners are equal and if a cat is so unhappy it'd rather live in hedges and car parks... Then that's telling enough. By the sounds of the op, the cat is eager and desperate to find a home with them, and I wouldn't hesitate, given the history.

I understand for some people, their cats can roam a lot and disappear for days on end, but that's never been my experience with having cats all my life, so I do wonder whether it's more telling of the owner than the cat, the fact they don't won't to be there...
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I would speak to the owners again. Emphasize that the cat seems to be suffering injuries but not returning home so it really might be in its best interest to sign him over to you. Try not to apportion blame, both parties should decide what is best for the cat. If they won't sign it over then you'll just have to put up with the situation as without ownership you cant get vet treatment and without up to date inoculation certificates you wont get cattery accommodation when needed.

This is sound advice. If the cats not returning home with injuries but to the OP, with the owner oblivious to the cats needs, then I'd hope they do the right thing. I'd second the blame aspect mentioned too.
  • Options
    HeatherbellHeatherbell Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    What a predicament OP.
    I can't offer advice on it tho . At present we are a one dog and one cat household and a strange cat has taken a shine to us . It prowls our garden regularly and sits on the window sills looking in . If we go out to approach it ,it retreats . Then comes back when we go indoors . It looks OK, not fat but not thin and not raggedy , but we know all the local cats and owners and this little guy is a stranger .We've had no new neighbours moved in . My family want to 'adopt' him by feeding him and allowing him access to our home but he is clearly someone's pet, and one cat and one dog is as much as we need without seeking more . Our own puss is slightly afraid/wary of him anyway .Thankfully she(our puss) rarely does gardens, lord forbid she gets her dainty paws wet or dirty, lol. The dog couldn't care less, little miss couldn't-give-a-darn . She just sits there staring at the puss .
    I think I'll have to start being firm with him, chasing him and being loud and rude. I'm dreading the idea that he might still be hanging around in the dead of winter , that would kill me. So I need to toughen up and send him home with a metaphorical flea in his ear .

Sorry for hijacking your thread with my thinking out loud OP .:blush:
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    As a cat owner this pisses me off, sorry the cat has a home and you know it and it is just trying his luck. The fact that you are letting him into your house means as far as he is concerned your house is now fair game to him. We have had several cats try and come into our home but once they have been chased out a couple of times they don't come back as often. Letting him in is only encouraging him. My cat can sit outside in the rain and look really sorry for herself, and because she has a thyroid problem she actually looks quite thin and she could be mistaken for a stray sometimes.

Cats can and do roam quite far, maybe you should speak to the owners again and stop letting him in. He is not your cat. And if you won't speak to the owners and just want to steal someone's pet then be prepared for vets bills, food costs, flea treatments, having to find someone to look after it or put it in a cattery when you want to go on holiday(if you won't speak to the owner or cats protection or RSPCA then you can't just dump it outside when you go on holiday), not being able to change your plans at the last minute and stay out all night as the cat will want feeding. Cats may not need daily walks but they do need a lot of attention and can cost a fortune especially when they get old.
    I, too, am a cat owner (have been ever since I can remember tbh!) and I disagree also.

My tom is the most arrogant, self-centred cat I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Everything has to be on his terms, he will go missing during the day if anything ever displeases him - but always comes home to bed/food at night (treats this place like a hotel honestly). But, because he is very much loved, and we try and do everything possible to make his life a happy one, he always comes home. He was an "only cat" for the first five years of his life. I then got a female cat a year ago, whom he dislikes to a certain extent, but likes to frolic in the garden with her (everything on his terms), and now I've rehomed an elderly Labrador, whom again, he dislikes and is totally unsure of. Sure enough, the day I got the Labrador, my tom went out all day... but still came home for his food and bed for the night.

In regards to the OP, talk to the "owners" and ask them if they would like you to rehome the cat? He's obviously chosen you, and you've said throughout the thread you'd be happy to have him, so what are you waiting for? :D
  • Options
    FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take The Cat In!!!

Pooe Thing Wants A Home Where Its Cared For.