Lorde

RyclopsRyclops Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone else a fan of this 16 yo from New Zealand?

Absolutely loved her song 'Tennis Court'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Ymd-OCucs

Her latest song 'Royals' has become a smash hit in America, peaking at no.3 on the Billboard 100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc

And her new single will be 'Team', with her debut album 'Pure Heroine' to follow shortly.

I think she is going to be big!

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll probably be big due to Novelty being only 16 and that she is an antidote to mainstream pop. But is she really that great not really she's good but she has a way to go to convince me.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I love her singles and her EP's and was going to get her album but I listened to it and it's underwhelming tbh...

Her personality/attitude kind of puts me off her too but Royals and Tennis Court will always be great singles.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what to make of her. Her music reminds me a little of Lana Del Rey. I guess she's a Marmite type in that you either love her or hate her.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge fan here. Really love her music. Nice to hear something eccentric with personality especially from a younger singer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her album is streaming somewhere but I've not heard it yet.

She seems like she could turn out to be an interesting artist but it's too early to tell really. I don't think you should expect too much of someone at that age. She's got plenty of time to develop as an artist.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I've only heard Royals but I think it's an amazing song. Very catchy and musically interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is on Thursday at BBC 1 Live Lounge

Her take on Kanye West

She sings here the vocals of Justin Vernon, Chief Keef and Kanye West

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6IerJU-gPE
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks-wise, she reminds me of Cher Lloyd before the makeover...
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what to make of her. Her music reminds me a little of Lana Del Rey. I guess she's a Marmite type in that you either love her or hate her.

That reminds me. I just read a very interesting ATRL post on the reaction to Lorde by the bloggers in the US that were so sniffy about Lana's supposed 'creation'. Some interesting points made, all true imo. BTW, I do really like Royals.
    Sam Gho: Lorde is clearly talented but it sickens me to see the fawning by the same music blogs/journalists that trashed Lana for being a music industry creation (which she clearly was not), yet totally glossing over the fact that Lorde has been "under development" by Universal since she was 12!!! She has been working with songwriters and other music industry people all this time, yet the reaction of the blogs is that everything that Lorde has put out is her creation, which is total nonsense. The guy she has been working with, just had an interview where he said that he has been working with her for the past two years to create her sound, if that is not manufactured I don't know what is. However unlike the unfair criticism of Lana by the jerks in the media, I do not wish to take anything away from Lorde, I think her album and EP are an excellent start (the three singles are quite good) but her overall sound is monotonous and repetitive. Hopefully she will continue to mature and become a great artist in the future and I wish her all the best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    That reminds me. I just read a very interesting ATRL post on the reaction to Lorde by the bloggers in the US that were so sniffy about Lana's supposed 'creation'. Some interesting points made, all true imo. BTW, I do really like Royals.

Yep, it's much easier to promote a teen prodigy than a 25 years old new artist. For Lana they were all suspicious and saying there must be something wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is, those bloggers aren't really music industry insiders. They probably don't know any more about Lorde than they did about LDR. Also, putting aside my suspicions that some LDR fans are exaggerating (as they tend to do) this 'backlash' and using it as an excuse, I can see why some people would consider the situation with Lorde to be different to LDR.

LDR is Ms. Grant's third incarnation as a music artist so together with the well known songwriters she worked with (and the emphasis on image, the early "homemade" videos etc.), it seemed to some people like quite a calculated creation rather than an organic development. Lorde doesn't have that backstory and her age does kind of make a difference. It's pretty harsh to criticise someone so young who's just starting out and to be honest, at that age, any meaningful input into the songs can be seen as a promising sign.

Really, I don't know why some people get so excited about new artists based on a few songs or one album. For me they need to prove themselves longer than that because an artist who can't follow it up and have longevity is a bit pointless and the best artists don't make their best music with their debut album anyway. I suppose pop music is a bit different and people like to generate interest. Hey-ho.
    Forum Member
    Ella Yelich-O'Connor (Lorde, if you didn't already know) has actually been signed to Universal for twice as long as Lizzie Grant (Lana Del Rey, which you definitely know) has been signed to Interscope. i would imagine Universal Records have more money even than Lana's very rich father. A common criticism of Lana (even to this day from the odd deluded soul) is that her rich father bought her career. It just all smacks of ageism to me.

PS You keep talking about the well known songwriters she has worked with but fail to state that the songwriter she worked with that started it all off for her had never had anything resembling a hit (maybe not even a song released) until Video Games. If you were the very rich Rob Grant and wished to buy your beloved daughter a career in music, would you really put a (then) completely unknown like Justin Parker on the payroll?
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the press are already trying to start a Lorde vs. Lana war:rolleyes:. "Lorde's Pure Heroine is the album Lana wishes she'd made" says one headline. "Lana sends the wrong message to young girls" says Lorde herself in an interview.

Dunno whether its the generally anti-Lana US media playing (video) games or whether Lorde's people seriously think there's something to be gained with this stance, but its all a bit silly really. Judging by some of the comments posted on these websites all they've achieved with that is getting loads of Del Rey fans to turn up and have a good laugh at the stupid headlines they've run. S'not making Lorde look good.

For, er, Lordes sake I hope they drop this angle and promote the kid off her own merits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Royals and Tennis Court - hope the fame won't faze her though cos in some interviews she seems very timid, but she was great on Jools Holland the other night
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Yelich-O'Connor (Lorde, if you didn't already know) has actually been signed to Universal for twice as long as Lizzie Grant (Lana Del Rey, which you definitely know) has been signed to Interscope. i would imagine Universal Records have more money even than Lana's very rich father. A common criticism of Lana (even to this day from the odd deluded soul) is that her rich father bought her career. It just all smacks of ageism to me.

PS You keep talking about the well known songwriters she has worked with but fail to state that the songwriter she worked with that started it all off for her had never had anything resembling a hit (maybe not even a song released) until Video Games. If you were the very rich Rob Grant and wished to buy your beloved daughter a career in music, would you really put a (then) completely unknown like Justin Parker on the payroll?
    To be honest I don't remember all the songwriters, except Rick Nowels who I think you would agree is quite well known. I'm not even sure that is really that significant to this supposed 'backlash'. I think it was more that some people felt deceived by the way she was presented and marketed at the beginning. Maybe those people would have reacted differently if they knew her backstory and more info about her from the start. That kind of mysterious, understated intro to her does also seem to have had the (desired?) effect of making some of her fans perceive her as some kind of cool "indie" underdog battling against the big guys which is very funny imo :D.

Anyway, like I said, some people will get over-excited but time will tell with these artists. LDR has time to win people over if she really does have the talent and we'll see what kind of artist Lorde becomes in the coming years.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I really like what I've heard from her debut album. Definitely a talented young woman. Hope she isn't a one album wonder, but I think she's a lot more talented than Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and some others of her contemporaries. However, that's not too hard.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uh I probably shouldn't get into this as I've had enough if these silly Del Rey arguments for one life time...but:

Smudged; The thing that makes us Del Rey fans roll our eyes :rolleyes: is that that none of us can ever understand where all this hogwash about Lana trying to "deceive" us came from. The media stirred all this crap themselves, it wasn’t her. 2 years later the pr*cks still seem to be trying to smear her. See those headlines I mentioned as the latest examples where they are clearly trying to start some sort of rivalry between Lorde vs. Lana.

If we feel Lana is an underdog it has nothing to do with how frickin' "indie" Lana is and everything to do with the behaviour of (mainly) the American music press, who for whatever reason seem to have an agenda against her. The fact that even after all the success she's had it still seems to be a battle to get her songs played on Radio further adds to this.

The obsession with how "indie" Lana is has always been one of her critics. Lana has simply always claimed to be a musical artist and a poet. Do you have to be "indie" to be considered an artist? Do you have to be "indie" to be considered a credible artist? She might actually be well within her rights to use the term "indie" as she was once signed to an indie label and has got where she is off her own invention and endeavour. However I don't think she has any desire to be so easily artistically pigeon holed.

Although Lana might not be "indie" she could still be described as "alternative" and has had the best selling alternative album in the world last year. I often think the stupidest thing about all the contempt for Lana from the indie/alt music press is here you have someone who is making exceptionally good alternative music, that actually sells and best of all appeals to young people. She could have been great for re-energising the largely dead alt music scene and brought in a fresh new audience. They've pushed her away, she's cut her own path where she owes them nothing. Everything she has achieved is by her own vision, she’s been an absolute genius in the way she’s used the web to promote herself. And I suspect that's another reason they resent her so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, like I said some people tend to exaggerate when it comes to LDR. I put "indie" in inverted commas for a reason.... because she clearly isn't. And yes, I do find it funny when some of her fans think she's an underdog and some kind of alternative artist when she's on a big record label with paid songwriters and a (comparatively) huge marketing budget behind her. If only people weren't so mean to her she may have sold 10 million instead of 5 million lol :D

Besides, I don't think there was any real need for LDR fans to turn this thread into another needy moan about why not everyone loves her. The thread's about Lorde so we should stick to discussing her imo.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I understand, what LDR and Lorde have in common is that they are both non indie (because they are signed to be labels & are working with pro writers...) but kind of sound like it...
    I kind of don't care about someone's background tbh, either I like the song/person, or I don't. When I saw the video for Royal & heard the song for the 1st time, I found the song great but I also really thought there was a very obvious attempt at being alternative & cool.

I really like "Royal" and will look into the second one that everyone mentions (tennis something?). But I think that while I really like Royal, an entire album like Royal would bore me in the end. It sounds "quirky" because it seems different, but the vibe would get lost in an album full of songs with the same type of sound...
    I might get the singles, but I am doubful that I will get the album. But who knows, I could be surprised by the album, I'll try to listen to the previous...
  • Sophie1996Sophie1996 Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I've listened to her The Love Club EP and I love it! Also LOVE the songs Royals, Tennis Court and Team, they are amazing. Wouldn't exactly say I'm a fan but I do enjoy her music and if Pure Heroine is good then I may well be.
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    lol, like I said some people tend to exaggerate when it comes to LDR. I put "indie" in inverted commas for a reason.... because she clearly isn't. And yes, I do find it funny when some of her fans think she's an underdog and some kind of alternative artist when she's on a big record label with paid songwriters and a (comparatively) huge marketing budget behind her. If only people weren't so mean to her she may have sold 10 million instead of 5 million lol :D

Besides, I don't think there was any real need for LDR fans to turn this thread into another needy moan about why not everyone loves her. The thread's about Lorde so we should stick to discussing her imo.

Interesting. 3 of the posts about Lana in this (so far) pretty short thread are from you :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. 3 of the posts about Lana in this (so far) pretty short thread are from you :D
    lol nice try but it doesn't work like that. If a certain someone hadn't mentioned LDR I never would have discussed her in this thread. As it was, I responded to the comparison between her and Lorde.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first time i heard 'Royals' (on Jools) i thought it was interesting, second time i heard it i thought it was good, 3rd time i though hmm its a bit annoying" and by the 4th i was hoping i never have to hear it again. It's a similar trajectory i have to any LDR songs iv'e heard so i can see the parallel people are making;)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lorde appears to be a graduate from the school of Del Rey.....huge compliment to Lana:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the video for Royals. I think the song is amazing.

I have (probably too high) hopes for Lorde. Really like her.