Are you on Job Seeker's Allowance?

Comments

• redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    lets hope that is the case, alot of whats on my recommend list, is over 30 miles away (which IF full time isnt a problem), in areas, which will have its own unemployed person looking for work.

eg, no point someone in Peterborough, applying for a job in Nottingham.

Unless you are someone who has a very specific skill, and a wage to match.

Your jobsearch agreement specifies a maximum travel time, Mine is 120 minutes by public transport. I don't think the computer system supercedes that , especially as at the moment it is getting locations with similar names mixed up.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Your jobsearch agreement specifies a maximum travel time, Mine is 120 minutes by public transport. I don't think the computer system supercedes that , especially as at the moment it is getting locations with similar names mixed up.
    two hours driving, will take you alot of places, alot with their own unemployed.

You may have the agreement, BUT employers (unless looking for a specific skill) are not looking for someone two hours away.

Saying that get to rush hour, and what should be a 35 minute journey, can be closer to 1 hour.
    Forum Member
    two hours driving, will take you alot of places, alot with their own unemployed.

You may have the agreement, BUT employers (unless looking for a specific skill) are not looking for someone two hours away.

Saying that get to rush hour, and what should be a 35 minute journey, can be closer to 1 hour.

I agree with that 2 hours does not get you that far in London Geographically, it gets me to about Hoxton from West London on public transport. , New Malden in South London and Finchley in North London. I have recieved interviews in all these areas. However that being said I would probably not get a job at night in these areas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with that 2 hours does not get you that far in London Geographically, it gets me to about Hoxton from West London on public transport. , New Malden in South London and Finchley in North London. I have recieved interviews in all these areas.
    TBH I could struggle to make a 35 minute car journey, in under 2 hours on local buses.
  • RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm scared of the work program. I swear they send you anywhere :(

No need to be scared. Really.

If you are genuinely fearful of everyday situations it would be a good idea to delve into some good self-help books to increase your confidence and coping skills.

You have lots of interviews ahead of you, and situations such as staring new jobs, dealing with different people, etc. If you are this apprehensive about signing on now would be a good time to start building your confidence.

Do some voluntary work. It will build your confidence and give you something to add to your CV as well as a reference.

All the best!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Most positions seem from Monster Jobs when I look.

Monster Jobs are the company behind the new DWP job search website. The DWP signed a deal with them a couple of months ago, which explains why the jobs tend to come from there.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    I can't get on the Jobsearch section comes up with: HTTP Error 400. A request header field is too long.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now, i can't Job search at home and will face the lecture of an advisor on Friday....can't wait:rolleyes:

All I get is:
    Application error

Sorry - due to an internal error the system was unable to carry out the action requested. Please accept our apologies.

Useful as ****.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just looking at some random jobs on my recommenced list, and found this one

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=257301

including the text
    Applications must be made via our website - http://www.cv-library.co.uk/cgi-bin/job.cgi?j=A126262896 Hours:

never mind that the Job Centre website offers you the chance to apply via itself.

Wonder who applicants should listen to.

Have to wonder how many employers will want people to apply via the Job Centre website.
    Forum Member
    just looking at some random jobs on my recommenced list, and found this one

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/GetJob.aspx?JobID=257301

including the text

never mind that the Job Centre website offers you the chance to apply via itself.

Wonder who applicants should listen to.

Have to wonder how many employers will want people to apply via the Job Centre website.

With these jobs you apply via the companies website and then quote the reference number in an activity note.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With these jobs you apply via the companies website and then quote the reference number in an activity note.
    confess I have not looked at "activity note"s yet, as im not yet signed on, but that is hardly proof you applied, that can only come from either the employer or from applying via the JobCentre site.

I do fear that for those who are signed on, you will be expected to apply for any job the system/advisor suggests, whatever good reason you have not to.

TBH I think there is serious data protection issues with this whole thing, and im not sure many firms will wish to open themselves open to that, and will say not to apply via the website, falling back on "send CV via email" or "apply via company website" style applications.

Personally I would always apply in a way that distances me from the Job Centre website where possible, to much negative press abut people who are signed on, to risk my application being associated with that, I know many employers who dont advertise on the JC website, as they get too many unsuitable applications.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not on JSA. But on other benefit. Disability Living Allowance. I'm part of the current Government reform. So could end up on Employment Support Allowance.Kinda the same as JSA. But for us raspberries. But with all the stuff I've seen in the press, and on TV surrounding this, and as a disabled person with a below-knee left leg amputation, heart failure, peripheral vascular disease, and too many other things to bore everyone with. I'm just waiting to hear that I'm deemed by ATOS, to be fit for work. I was in full-time employment for over 25 years. I don't expect or demand hand-outs. But, like a lot of people life is a struggle. So anticipating that I'll have my benefit withdrawn. The path would then be. No money. No flat = Homeless. Then the future, who knows? I'd much rather have my leg and health back, and be working or able to actively seek work, believe me. With lots of companies closing down and people losing their jobs.. Where are all these vacancies for people in the same position as myself, coming off other benefits, coupled with all these recent redundancies, going to come from? Sorry if this is a bit OT. :)
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Monster Jobs are the company behind the new DWP job search website. The DWP signed a deal with them a couple of months ago, which explains why the jobs tend to come from there.

That explains why the choices are s**** then, monster jobs is one if the worst job sites I have used
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking around, its worrying how much of this is designed for those who are signed on, and not for people who are just looking for work, whilst they employed (signed off) looking at my "Activity history" it is storing alot of information, to say nothing of adding any job applications ive found on another source.

The text in the "job search note" box
    "For example, calling about a job you saw advertised in the newspaper or following up on a job referral."

as im not signed on im not going to fill this in (I dont need to) but its an awful lot of data to collect.

Also those not good with computers, will seriously struggle to fill it all in correctly.
    Forum Member
    confess I have not looked at "activity note"s yet, as im not yet signed on, but that is hardly proof you applied, that can only come from either the employer or from applying via the JobCentre site.

Exactly it is less secure than the current notes system
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes if the DWP starts taking whats written in activity note"s as gold, then it is very much open to abuse.

its hardly unrealistic for jobs to be found (and applied for) off the Job Centre website, unless the Job Centre checks up on those notes, putting a few fake job application on your activity note"s, is easy as.
    Forum Member
    yes if the DWP starts taking whats written in activity note"s as gold, then it is very much open to abuse.

its hardly unrealistic for jobs to be found (and applied for) off the Job Centre website, unless the Job Centre checks up on those notes, putting a few fake job application on your activity note"s, is easy as.

Not only that just clocking on a few links adds steps to your jobsearch. so you dont even need to fake applying for jobs to add steps to your jobsearch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only that just clocking on a few links adds steps to your jobsearch. so you dont even need to fake applying for jobs to add steps to your jobsearch.
    true, but that alone wont make it look like you actually applied.

Obviously anyone looking at a list of jobs someone has browsed, wont expect you to apply for all of them, this might expect you to give a reason for not applying however.

That aside, I predict a serious issue with data protection, in the not too distant future, with this service, and alot of employers taking the application stage to their own websites (email accounts etc), which will make all the upgrading of the old site (into this new one) a total waste of time.

On the user side, I used to do IT mentoring, and can see alot of people struggling to use this website, tick all the right boxes etc. The Work Program may organise some classes to help those on it, but alot of people simply wont be able to use it. For example I was at the Work Program office about a month ago, and was sat next to a woman, who didn't understand why when she typed her password in, the characters she typed didn't come up, instead circles come up. If that had been 12 months ago (when I was an IT mentor), I would have sat down and explained it to her, but I dont feel charitable to the Work Program, and it didnt cross my mind at the time. She gave me her password, I logged her in, and I left.
    Forum Member
    true, but that alone wont make it look like you actually applied.

Obviously anyone looking at a list of jobs someone has browsed, wont expect you to apply for all of them, this might expect you to give a reason for not applying however.

That aside, I predict a serious issue with data protection, in the not too distant future, with this service, and alot of employers taking the application stage to their own websites (email accounts etc), which will make all the upgrading of the old site (into this new one) a total waste of time.

On the user side, I used to do IT mentoring, and can see alot of people struggling to use this website, tick all the right boxes etc. The Work Program may organise some classes to help those on it, but alot of people simply wont be able to use it. For example I was at the Work Program office about a month ago, and was sat next to a woman, who didn't understand why when she typed her password in, the characters she typed didn't come up, instead circles come up. If that had been 12 months ago (when I was an IT mentor), I would have sat down and explained it to her, but I dont feel charitable to the Work Program, and it didnt cross my mind at the time. She gave me her password, I logged her in, and I left.

No seriously, that is all you have to do now. It is classed as part of the jobsearch. I really want to do something like IT mentoring, do you mind me asking how you got into it? You have to conduct 6 steps of a jobsearch. Most interpret that as 6 applications. Universal Jobmatch interprets as six mouse clicks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No seriously, that is all you have to do now. It is classed as part of the jobsearch. I really want to do something like IT mentoring, do you mind me asking how you got into it? You have to conduct 6 steps of a jobsearch. Most interpret that as 6 applications. Universal Jobmatch interprets as six mouse clicks.
    im not talking about paid mentoring here, some charity stuff, assisting with learning the basics, such as using a mouse, using a keyboard, using a search engine, sending an email, ethat kind of thing. When I did it, it was done using MyGuide, but it was replaced soon after I left, so I dont know what its using now.

this is the website

http://www.learnmyway.com/

if you want, you could try contacting them, see if there is a local group in your area, where you could help.

Speaking to the local volunteer centre is always an option.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    That explains why the choices are s**** then, monster jobs is one if the worst job sites I have used

Instead of using the pile of s**t that is the JC website, register on Totaljobs.com

I've had two interviews set up this week, with possibly more just waiting to get a reply from two other companies. One company has asked me to a second interview and Open Day this week already.

I get f**k all from the JC site, sent off applications and i've heard nothing!
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    Instead of using the pile of s**t that is the JC website, register on Totaljobs.com

I've had two interviews set up this week, with possibly more just waiting to get a reply from two other companies. One company has asked me to a second interview and Open Day this week already.

I get f**k all from the JC site, sent off applications and i've heard nothing!

Angry :D
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Yes, angry that the JC is mean't to help you find a job but all they're good for is for being 'paper pushers'

No wonder the country is in a mess, years ago they would actually help you find a job based on experience and qualifications, now they don't care and humiliate you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Had a job interview today and omg i cant beleive it but i was sucessful and start on Monday!!!! :D:D:D

After 5 years of doing temporary contracts and part time work as well as periods on JSA ive finally managed to secure full time employment with a permenant contract.

I hated it whenever i had to claim JSA and really hope never to have to claim it again.

Good luck to everyone on here who is continuing to look for work and i really hope you find something soon :)
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm that other sort of "parasite" - a pensioner.