Options

"Prisons are like holiday camps" etc etc

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?25117-Elderly-vs-Prisoners-!

This c+p letter has been doing the rounds on my FB about how we should put the elderley in jail as apparentley prisoners are treated way better than people in care homes.

Hmm thats right I'm sure thousands of prisoners are queuing up to be bummed in the shower and to have there throats slit by a toothbrush thats been smuggled in and been customised into a knife. :rolleyes:.

Also by saying this people are insulting care home workers who have a very hard job. Sure you get awful scandals at some care homes but these are the exception not the rule .

I wonder how many of these "prison is so easy" people woul actually want to go to prison and see for themselves, not many I'll bet. :yawn:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous comment. Probably made by someone whose only experience of prison is what they read in the gutter press
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you get awful scandals at some care homes but these are the exception not the rule

As I'm sure ' bummed in the shower and to have there throats slit by a toothbrush' is in prisons.

EDIT

Just realised, the 'article' is from the USA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those cells - they look really cushy when we get to glimpse them on TV, don't they?
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who remembers that Royle Family scene:

Everyone: AWWWW HIYA TWIGGY HOW WAS YOUR TRIP??
    Twiggy: Well the food wasn't as good as last year but that's not what you go for, you go for the crack with the lads.
    Dave: .......And what were you in prison for this time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I'm sure ' bummed in the shower and to have there throats slit by a toothbrush' is in prisons.
    What I mean is prisons are bloody terrifying places . Not everyone who goes to prison is guilty (misscarriages of justice happen), so why should they be subjected to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    What I mean is prisons are bloody terrifying places . Not everyone who goes to prison is guilty (misscarriages of justice happen), so why should they be subjected to that.

But not everyone is subjected to what you said. No doubt it is a terrifying place though.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I get so annoyed at people going on about prison being holiday camps. My friend works with imprisoned drug addicts, and her husband is a PT Instructor at a prison. Life there is no holiday camp. Certain factions of the gutter press just want to wind people up with it, and unfortunately many people are gullible enough to believe it.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?25117-Elderly-vs-Prisoners-!

This c+p letter has been doing the rounds on my FB about how we should put the elderley in jail as apparentley prisoners are treated way better than people in care homes.

Hmm thats right I'm sure thousands of prisoners are queuing up to be bummed in the shower and to have there throats slit by a toothbrush thats been smuggled in and been customised into a knife. :rolleyes:.

Also by saying this people are insulting care home workers who have a very hard job. Sure you get awful scandals at some care homes but these are the exception not the rule .

I wonder how many of these "prison is so easy" people woul actually want to go to prison and see for themselves, not many I'll bet. :yawn:

We'll ask Chris Huhne in 4-8 months time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    We'll ask Chris Huhne in 4-8 months time.
    :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Oh I get so annoyed at people going on about prison being holiday camps. My friend works with imprisoned drug addicts, and her husband is a PT Instructor at a prison. Life there is no holiday camp. Certain factions of the gutter press just want to wind people up with it, and unfortunately many people are gullible enough to believe it.

But prison isnt meant to be a nice place.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EDIT

Just realised, the 'article' is from the USA.

Perhaps the Yanks are all going round assaulting and bumming each other but my experience working in prisons was that the number of self-inflicted injuries with razor blades outnumbered assaults by improvised weapons by a factor of about 100:1

I guess some assaults and injuries probably went unreported but the majority of problems between inmates amounted to little more than schoolyard bullying.

Besides, most prisoners are drug addicts and they're too self-absorbed to be worrying about anyone other than themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    But prison isnt meant to be a nice place.
    Everyone deserves basic human rights
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, first off, i don't believe prison is easy for most people. But last week i bumped into an old mate. He's having a hard time with his missus. He was telling me his son in law did a year in jail, and he raves about it. He was saying it was nothing but a laugh, and he never missed a football match cos they get the entire Sky package in their cells to watch.

But than again, Glasgow neds like to talk utter shite. I'm sure he must've missed his freedom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Perhaps the Yanks are all going round assaulting and bumming each other but my experience working in prisons was that the number of self-inflicted injuries with razor blades outnumbered assaults by improvised weapons by a factor of about 100:1

I guess some assaults and injuries probably went unreported but the majority of problems between inmates amounted to little more than schoolyard bullying.

Besides, most prisoners are drug addicts and they're too self-absorbed to be worrying about anyone other than themselves.

Well there you go OP. I didn't think it was anything like what the OP suggests. I'm sure this stuff happens, just not to the level reported. Still wondering what an American article has to do with our old people care system and prisions.
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone deserves basic human rights

Which are ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    Ok, first off, i don't believe prison is easy for most people. But last week i bumped into an old mate. He's having a hard time with his missus. He was telling me his son in law did a year in jail, and he raves about it. He was saying it was nothing but a laugh, and he never missed a football match cos they get the entire Sky package in their cells to watch.

But than again, Glasgow neds like to talk utter shite. I'm sure he must've missed his freedom.

I know quiet a few people who have been in prison, mostly short sentences, and most of them said the same thing. If you manage to accept where you are, then it all becomes much much easier. Sort of enjoy the crap your life has all of a sudden become. If you sit there moping around, sulking and missing your real life, then things begin to get very hard very quickly.

Sort of same thing in any walk of life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which are ?

Plasma, PS3 and Sky HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plasma, PS3 and Sky HD.
    No , more like a roof over there head, food , daily excersise.
  • Options
    General LunacyGeneral Lunacy Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear that most of the prisons have already pre-ordered the PS4.

Imagine rent-free, 24 hour gaming and your food prepared for you...

Objecting to the occasional bumming is having your cake and eating it imo.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can imagine Chris Huhne being like Side Show Bob's brother in Prison. "So...When do they bring us the menus?". :D
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    bookaddict wrote: »
    this.
    my pa was a prison officer, it`s bad. one friend who didn`t want to go back so badly he hung himself in a police cell after he was arrested.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.thaisabai.org/2011/09/a-little-bit-of-england-a-letter-to-david-cameron/

Dear Mr.. Cameron

Please find below our suggestion for fixing the UK’s economy.
    Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 10 million people over 50 in the work force.
    Pay them £1 million each severance pay for early retirement with the following stipulations:
    1) They MUST retire.
    Result: Ten million job openings – unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new British car.
    Ten million cars ordered – Car Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage.
    Housing Crisis fixed.

4) They MUST send their kids to school/college/university.
    Crime rate fixed.

5) They MUST buy £100 WORTH of alcohol/tobacco a week …..
    And there’s your money back in duty/tax etc.

It can’t get any easier than that!
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But not everyone is subjected to what you said. No doubt it is a terrifying place though.

No it isn't, I am living proof as I would prefer being in that out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »

You would prefer what? Being in Prison? have you tried, or is it all internet bluster?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »

you could commit a crime and go back.