Figure Skating (ice dance) - Grishuk and Platov

13»

Comments

• CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    I still think Penny Coomes is a bit too cautious on the ice and lacks passion. Maybe Nick's heart problems affected her. If I hadn't read that they were a couple off the ice I would never have been able to tell. They need to turn the passion on a bit more. They come across as lovely people though. I hope they do well.

Isn't it strange how skaters who aren't in a relationship can have much better chemsitry on ice than those who are? Virtue and Moir melt the ice with those looks they give each other! Maybe if you're in a relationship it feels like you're exposing something private that you have with your partner and that holds you back?
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CMK29 wrote: »
    Isn't it strange how skaters who aren't in a relationship can have much better chemsitry on ice than those who are? Virtue and Moir melt the ice with those looks they give each other! Maybe if you're in a relationship it feels like you're exposing something private that you have with your partner and that holds you back?

That's true of some couples, although Gordeeva & Grinkov in pairs defied this rule. Watching them was like watching a love story unfold on ice. Their absolute devotion for each other was obvious to anyone who saw them skate. No other couple had such a connection. Grinkov's unexpected death at the age of 28 was a real tragedy.
  • CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    That's true of some couples, although Gordeeva & Grinkov in pairs defied this rule. Watching them was like watching a love story unfold on ice. Their absolute devotion for each other was obvious to anyone who saw them skate. No other couple had such a connection. Grinkov's unexpected death at the age of 28 was a real tragedy.

Oh Sergei and Katya *sigh* they were magic on ice weren't they? I don't usually enjoy pairs skating as much because my heart is in my mouth in case someone falls, but they were amazing together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were! She was beautiful and he was a great partner who presented her without trying to overshadow her. On a side note, she later married Ilya Kulik - the men's figure skating Olympic champion of 1998.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aww! They were also beautiful in 1994 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY7HFPSmx8M ...the only uncontested Gold medal in figure skating at those Olympics :D Katya Gordeeva developed into a real beauty!
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she was a star! Take their 1997 free dance "The Feeling Begins" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jb8s68EpSM for instance - I have never seen any ice dance couple get even close to skating like that. G&P's chemistry was electrifying! I don't particularly like the slow romantic sentimental routines most ice dancers present. G&P looked like they hated each other so much they were going to rip each other's clothes off any minute.

I'm really sorry. Obviously you're a fan, but to me that was acrobatics on ice.

I've re-watched everything T&D have done and they never fail to move me. I'm either sobbing or crying at their routines.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CMK29 wrote: »
    Oh Sergei and Katya *sigh* they were magic on ice weren't they? I don't usually enjoy pairs skating as much because my heart is in my mouth in case someone falls, but they were amazing together.

There's some of their routines now I can hardly bare to watch because they make me cry so much. They were, and will remain to my dying day, my favourite skaters in any of the disciplines.

Still, Katia went on to make a new life for herself with Ilia Kulik and their daughter Elizaveta seems to be following in both parents footsteps with her junior ice skating career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I'm really sorry. Obviously you're a fan, but to me that was acrobatics on ice.

I've re-watched everything T&D have done and they never fail to move me. I'm either sobbing or crying at their routines.

T&D have legendary status. They were the originals and in many ways put ice dancing on the map. Everyone loved them - even the Russians! Grishuk & Platov took a lot from them, but they took the technical difficulty to a new level and did it all at incredible speed! To be honest, I never particularly liked Jayne Torvill (I know I might be crucified for this :blush: ) and I adored Oksana Grishuk's fiery personality - coupled with Evgeny Platov's classic beauty. In my opinion they had such electric chemistry which no one else had.

Although i think this was Grishuk & Platov's weakest free dance, it's quite funny to see in this video what great friends Grishuk & Platov were with Krylova & Ovsyannikov at the time! It all ended very soon and the two couples became terrible enemies on as well as off the ice! Rumours are Oksana Grishuk was to blame again... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrpC9QEXAZs