Options

Name me ten actors who REALLY dont like talking about old characters and shows

Comments

• Options
    JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Yes, I've never got the impression Patrick's unhappy to talk about it either, he always seems quite happy and willing. He has said he wasn't too keen on the role when the show first started, but that has no bearing on how eager he is to talk about it over a quarter of a century later.

Yeah Patrick isn't at all unhappy to talk about TNG. He's talked about it on numerous occasions and he'll talk about it at length if the conversation is going in an interesting direction. He'll talk to fans about it too.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    james_W85 wrote: »
    who was he in that dont remember him in it?

This one, the Bond spoof, probably before your time, 1967.
    I found it unfunny, years and years ago, when I should have found it amusing, just a mish mash of bollox IMO.

From Wiki.
    The film has had a generally negative reception among critics, some of whom regard it as a baffling, disorganised affair, with critic Roger Ebert branding it "possibly the most indulgent film ever made". On the other hand, Andrea LeVasseur called it "a psychedelic, absurd masterpiece"[2] and cinema historian Robert von Dassanowsky has described it as "a film of momentary vision, collaboration, adaption, pastiche, and accident. It is the anti-auteur work of all time, a film shaped by the very zeitgeist it took on."[3]
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    I seem to recall reading that it was due more to their spin off "Thomas and Sarah" being chopped after one series, so they felt bitter about the whole thing hence their reluctance afterwards to get involved with anything UD related.

Interesting - thanks! I didn't much like Thomas and Sarah - they were never likeable characters, even on UD.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could well be wrong here but didn't Trevor Eve at 1 time refuse to talk about Shoestring?.I know he has talked about it in recent years.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Interesting - thanks! I didn't much like Thomas and Sarah - they were never likeable characters, even on UD.

Odd really that of all the characters that inhabited the UD "universe", LWT thought that T&S were worthy of a spin off....

Now back to the topic.
    Originally posted by gerry d...Could well be wrong here but didn't Trevor Eve at 1 time refuse to talk about Shoestring?.I know he has talked about it in recent years.

The same idea was brought up in a previous post, and what little newspaper tittle tattle I can remember seemed to infer was he was royally peed off because of poor scripts and dire spending cutbacks on the series. As for him talking about it more recently, I wonder what he would say now after his bust up with the beeb a couple of years back?....:D
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    David Jason starred in a sitcom and he has refused to release the repeat rights.

I don't know if he's ever been asked about it but I suspect he wouldn't want to talk about it.

I don't believe they should have that power to censor old programmes that they appeared in, they were asked to perform a part, why should they get control over the whole programme, if I was the writer of the series etc I wouldn't be too happy.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe they should have that power to censor old programmes that they appeared in, they were asked to perform a part, why should they get control over the whole programme, if I was the writer of the series etc I wouldn't be too happy.

I tend to agree with you, but there are numerous references on the net to shows being blocked due to actors (minor and major) not giving permission. Mostly is in regard to DVD/video releases, and I guess its because the contract they signed only related to TV broadcast. I suspect in the 1980s because of heavy union involvement contracts would have been heavily skewed in the actors interest.

Truth be told I'm sceptical, perhaps it is all to easy for someone to blame an actor.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    As someone found out to their cost when they went up to Alan Davies and called him Jonathan Creek...

Do tell?!
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Daniel Kitson, Spencer in Phoenix Nights. Dont go there...

Never knew that.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I remember hearing somewhere that Robert Lindsay used to be rather ashamed of Citizen Smith
    I think it's because he couldn't get away from being associated with the role for years after. I remember him telling a story where he was on a stage in a serious role and someone in the audience shouted out "Freedom for Tooting!" :D
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    AJonesSCFC wrote: »
    Do tell?!

Alan lamped him one and said "I'm ALAN DAVIES", or words to that effect. Supposedly.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    Yes she refused to take part in that C4 celebration about Father Ted a couple of years ago.

And now she's reduced to Eastenders...
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trevor Eve - again.

He got a big brake to star in the musical John, Paul, Ringo and bert. It was more a play with songs sung by an unknown Scottish folk singer called Barbara Dickson who was a friend of Willy Russels who wrote it.

It din't help when he found out that the unknown was being paid more than he was. His ego was hurt.Their were several other actors in the show including Anthony Sher, Bernard hill and George Costigan.

The reviews were good, almost all said the best performer was Barbara and she got the best applause night after night..

When they did This is your Life with Barbara Dickson, Trevor Eve was a no show.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Daniel Kitson, Spencer in Phoenix Nights. Dont go there...

Kitson himself has been quite outspoken in his dislike of Kay and his experiences on Phoenix Nights, calling Kay "comedically lazy and overrated", and an "obnoxious bully of a man". According to Chortle.

I quite like Daniel Kitson.;-):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhsIW_bZsos&list=RDTbUqhxPGFXY
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    Kitson himself has been quite outspoken in his dislike of Kay and his experiences on Phoenix Nights, calling Kay "comedically lazy and overrated", and an "obnoxious bully of a man". According to Chortle.

I quite like Daniel Kitson.;-):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhsIW_bZsos&list=RDTbUqhxPGFXY

IIRC, Daniel Kitson has been quoted as saying that "Phoenix Nights was the worst thing I have ever done"
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's not TV, but Christopher Lee hates talking about his Dracula films he did for Hammer.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This one, the Bond spoof, probably before your time, 1967.
    I found it unfunny, years and years ago, when I should have found it amusing, just a mish mash of bollox IMO.

Despite being a bond film at a time when bond was at it's most popular. Despite the impressive list of big name stars( Sellers, Niven, Kerr, Welles, O'toole, Holden for example) Despite having Burt Bacharach do the music. On paper it's fantastic. In reality it's a disaster. How it could be so bad with everything going in it's favour is an achievement in itself.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine Shane Ritchie reminiscing much over his Jimmy Saville tribute show.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Frances De La Tour is conspiciously absent in programmes about Rising Damp.

Very, as Miss Jones was on of the main characters :confused:
    Verence wrote: »
    I remember hearing somewhere that Robert Lindsay used to be rather ashamed of Citizen Smith

Do you mean ashamed or embarrassed?

I used to enjoy watching it - also Get Some In :)
    snukr wrote: »
    I think it's because he couldn't get away from being associated with the role for years after. I remember him telling a story where he was on a stage in a serious role and someone in the audience shouted out "Freedom for Tooting!" :D

Annoying for him, but that made me lol :D
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    warszawa wrote: »
    I can't imagine Shane Ritchie reminiscing much over his Jimmy Saville tribute show.

Similar thing for Ricky Gervais' 'Meet Ricky Gervais' Featuring Saville
  • Options
    Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I right in saying Diana Rigg won't talk about The Avengers?
    Don't know why, it was a great, well produced show and a true slice of TV history - she should be really proud of its cultural impact.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    David Jason seems a bit up his own a**e in many discussions. OK - he's won loads of awards for good reasons too! I liked him in 'Open All Hours' , Only Fools' , and 'Frost' was just about bearable for me.
    He forgets (or WANTS to forget) that he first appeared in 'Crossroads' and never mentions it in his CV! (It's like he's embarrassed about it!)

He's got so many awards.......what does he care?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    David Jason seems a bit up his own a**e in many discussions. OK - he's won loads of awards for good reasons too! I liked him in 'Open All Hours' , Only Fools' , and 'Frost' was just about bearable for me.
    He forgets (or WANTS to forget) that he first appeared in 'Crossroads' and never mentions it in his CV! (It's like he's embarrassed about it!)

He's got so many awards.......what does he care?

Man leaves job off CV, like that's never happened before, people do it all the time and not just because they're embarrassed.
    'It's like' isn't the same as 'is'
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    Similar thing for Ricky Gervais' 'Meet Ricky Gervais' Featuring Saville

Im not sure RG was that happy with that whole series actually, I may be wrong.
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Alan lamped him one and said "I'm ALAN DAVIES", or words to that effect. Supposedly.

Thanks, always thought he came across as quite mild mannered! Some of these celebs take themselves way too seriously.