DM new outrage target - Loom Bands

Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2686823/Loom-bands-health-risk-says-GP-Parents-told-craze-damage-childrens-circulation-schools-introduce-bans.html

Another DM non story with a ridiculously over dramatic headline

Maybe we should all just lock our kids away until they're 18 just in case something terrible happens to them - or maybe we can realise that just being alive means risk and get on with letting them be kids

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    What kid didn't attempt to cut off their circulation with an elastic band? Will they try to ban conkers next because they could potentially give a kid a bruised knuckle?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Children 'using rubber bands as catapaults'! :o Just when I thought Britain could get no brokener...
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This type of thing is definitely not new. I remember bands like these being around in the '80s. A slow 'news' day for the trashy Daily Mail.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    What kid didn't attempt to cut off their circulation with an elastic band? Will they try to ban conkers next because they could potentially give a kid a bruised knuckle?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8458526/Schools-banning-conkers-and-leapfrog-over-safety-fears.html :(
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

there .. that should do it :)
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the OP said, maybe we should lock kids away until they are 18 and have past a 12 month course on Elf and Safety.

Was the death rate of children through accidents any better 30 years ago than it is now? Of course it wasnt, we dont need this crap H&S in our lives, kids will be kids, after all they learn by their mistakes.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the OP said, maybe we should lock kids away until they are 18 and have past a 12 month course on Elf and Safety.

Was the death rate of children through accidents any better 30 years ago than it is now? Of course it wasnt, we dont need this crap H&S in our lives, kids will be kids, after all they learn by their mistakes.
    Exactly. If you see a kid playing with a knife, or trying to smash a bottle, or tentatively poking their hands into the fire, do you immediately snatch it / them away? Of course not. We wait for them lose a finger (or two, preferably, although personally I'm not satisfied unless it's a whole limb), chastise them for being stupid, then send them on their way. That's how it was for my generation and I didn't - and don't - hear anyone complaining.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,766
    Forum Member
    They should ban peas in schools too because one time in primary school I flicked one from my fork and it went into boy's eye.

They should also ban the accident book because it once gave the teacher a paper cut. Unfortunately I was too young to appreciate the irony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I bet it was written by somebody who whinges about kids spending far too much time on the Xbox/Nintendo/PS4.

playing with conkers
    climbing trees
    eating chocolate
    going to McDonalds
    are, I believe, part of a normal childhood.
    Aren't kids allowed to be kids anymore?
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things I did that parents would freak out about today

Rap conkers over each others knuckles
    Climb trees and swing off branches like a monkey
    Jump off swings to see who could jump the furthest
    Go down the slide backwards
    Tie a rubber band round my finger to make it change colour then enjoy the sensation of blood flowing back into it after taking the rubber band off
    Jump through shucks and streams getting mucked to the eyeballs.

There are other things but that is all I can think of right now.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I blame the parents - the litigious ones at any rate :(

We should.

In most cases H&S is more to do with insurance than safety.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I blame benefit scroungers.
    No, I blame Muslims.
    Actually, I blame Facebook.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else remember those massive elastic bands where you had two people stand a few feet apart with the bands stretched out between them and others used to have to jump over them with their legs open? You used to moved the band up from ankles to calves to knows to thighs and the jumpers would see who could get the highest without touching the band as they jumped over.

Surely they must be banned these days?
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    No, I blame Muslims.

I blame you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    No, I blame Muslims.

I blame career women who put off becoming mothers >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things I did that parents would freak out about today

Rap conkers over each others knuckles
    Climb trees and swing off branches like a monkey
    Jump off swings to see who could jump the furthest
    Go down the slide backwards
    Tie a rubber band round my finger to make it change colour then enjoy the sensation of blood flowing back into it after taking the rubber band off
    Jump through shucks and streams getting mucked to the eyeballs.

There are other things but that is all I can think of right now.
    Your parents freaked out about them too. They 'allowed' you to do them (not that you asked, you just did it, just as kids have always done and will always do), but if they'd known you'd done them, your mother would have winced a little and thanked God you didn't break anything. I think you'll find that's just what parents of all times, cultures and ages have done and will continue to do. That's never going to change.
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the OP said, maybe we should lock kids away until they are 18 and have past a 12 month course on Elf and Safety.Was the death rate of children through accidents any better 30 years ago than it is now? Of course it wasnt, we dont need this crap H&S in our lives, kids will be kids, after all they learn by their mistakes.

I really don't mean to be rude or condascending, however you have fallen right into the Daily Mail trap..this is not a case of 'elf & safety' or 'PC gwan mad' or any other made up DM phrase. This is a typical made up non-story, to get you all outraged about H&S and a percieved litigous society, and judging by the comments, it's worked.

The 'journalist' knows that these bands are popular therefore digs out the usual DM rent-a-gob (so called) experts, to go through a scenario on what 'might' happen if these bands were used for anything other than their original purpose. This is not a H&S issue, it's the usual Daily Mail goading, that I'm sure will be repeated as 'Have you seen, they're going to ban Loom Bands now cos of 'elf & safety!! it's PC gawwwn mad I tell ya!" ...well done DM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't mean to be rude or condascending, however you have fallen right into the Daily Mail trap..this is not a case of 'elf & safety' or 'PC gwan mad' or any other made up DM phrase. This is a typical made up non-story, to get you all outraged about H&S and a percieved litigous society, and judging by the comments, it's worked.

The 'journalist' knows that these bands are popular therefore digs out the usual DM rent-a-gob (so called) experts, to go through a scenario on what 'might' happen if these bands were used for anything other than their original purpose. This is not a H&S issue, it's the usual Daily Mail goading, that I'm sure will be repeated as 'Have you seen, they're going to ban Loom Bands now cos of 'elf & safety!! it's PC gawwwn mad I tell ya!" ...well done DM
    Not sure if you're referring to the kid whose fingers went blue, but that's not made up. I don't use Fb so not sure how it 'works', but the photo ended up in in my wife's Fb account and I've seen it. It's a photo of a kid, maybe six to eight years old, in bed, arm hanging over the side of the frame, with two or three lovely purpley-blue fingers. (For the real DM CT-ers, I should probably say it may be staged, for all I know, but the photo itself is real. Why the DM didn't just print it like they usually do I don't know.)
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen that picture; it struck me as odd that a concerned parent, finding their child with dark blue fingers, would rush off to get a camera/phone to photograph the fingers before considering removal of the bands.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Well, they do look a bit foreign.
    They look like the sort of thing the picaninnies with their watermelon smiles would wear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I've seen that picture; it struck me as odd that a concerned parent, finding their child with dark blue fingers, would rush off to get a camera/phone to photograph the fingers before considering removal of the bands.

Especially as the DM didn't even use the photo or have pictures of them and their poor child doing sad faces >:(
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IK, R! Can't believe they missed out on a Sadface picture. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    IK, R! Can't believe they missed out on a Sadface picture. :D

Sadface picture holding up the finger - what an opportunity missed by the DM