Options

Is anyone else dissapointed by today's technology?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think technology needs to start being created from scratch instead of just being improved. I would like to see companies bring out completely new ideas instead of just the same old things with added features. I wouldn't mind earphones that could accurately create the sound of 5.1, that would be great. Of course, this would mean that tablets etc would need a high quality dolby decoder or whatever in the tablet/phone etc. I'd so love for this to happen.

New technology do come out, but you never hear about it for a few good years. nothing wrong with improving old tech as long as it is a good improvement.

You will never ever have earphones that can accurately create the sound of 5.1. you may get close to it, but the only way to have surround sound is to have speakers in different places.

sometimes you can only go so far with technology and no matter what you do, you can not improve it, you may be able to make it more reliable or smaller, but it still does the same thing.

what I would like in technology wise would be a music system that can pipe music all over my house from different control panels on the wall.
    Yes it is available, but at hell of a price.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    New technology do come out, but you never hear about it for a few good years. nothing wrong with improving old tech as long as it is a good improvement.

You will never ever have earphones that can accurately create the sound of 5.1. you may get close to it, but the only way to have surround sound is to have speakers in different places.

sometimes you can only go so far with technology and no matter what you do, you can not improve it, you may be able to make it more reliable or smaller, but it still does the same thing.

what I would like in technology wise would be a music system that can pipe music all over my house from different control panels on the wall.
    Yes it is available, but at hell of a price.

I do realise that you'll never have true 5.1 surround sound, but it will be close to it. Technology has a long way to go before ideas starts drying up.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That isn't true. 5.1 head sets do exist and work through temporal and pitch displacement. Try googling it. It's how the ear actually work out where things are in 3d space even though we only have 2 ears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't true. 5.1 head sets do exist and work through temporal and pitch displacement. Try googling it. It's how the ear actually work out where things are in 3d space even though we only have 2 ears.

But they are still not the same as proper surround sound, you ever tried one? i have tried some Sennheiser and yes the quality was great, the surround sound was ok, but it was a compromise. they do not replace proper surround sound.

BTW, these Sennheiser was in a recording studio and was over £200 at the time, more than what I would pay. you can get a good set of 5.1 speakers for less than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do realise that you'll never have true 5.1 surround sound, but it will be close to it. Technology has a long way to go before ideas starts drying up.

the sad part is a lot of this technology is for how to kill more people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the sad part is a lot of this technology is for how to kill more people.

I don't think the first poster had weapons in mind when creating this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the first poster had weapons in mind when creating this thread.

No, maybe not, you got to admit a lot of technology does go that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, maybe not, you got to admit a lot of technology does go that way.

I don't think there's as much technology going that way as you think. Advancements in technology will likely be for all areas and not just the entertainment one. Power hungry leaders will always be wanting new advancements when it comes to their weapons, but I still don't think that the technology for their weapons outweighs that of the technology in the entertainment area.