Options

Prison

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would the prospect of prison scare you? Do you think life inside is as dangerous as is made out?

Have any of you been inside (if you don't mind telling us)? If so, what was it like?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Nah, it's all massive, plush cells with comfy, kingsize beds, Egyptian cotton sheets, the softest, most comfortable duvets, giant plasma TVs, the very latest games consoles, access to the entire top Sky package, gourmet food cooked by the World's best chefs, all the drugs and prostitutes on tap you could ever want.

What's not to like?.

Or have I been reading the wrong newspapers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Would the prospect of prison scare you? Do you think life inside is as dangerous as is made out?

Have any of you been inside (if you don't mind telling us)? If so, what was it like?

I doubt it's anymore dangerous than this jungle we call the free world.

Boredom is probably the biggest threat to any inmate.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as I will never be in the situation of facing jail time can't say it bothers me
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Nah, it's all massive, plush cells with comfy, kingsize beds, Egyptian cotton sheets, the softest, most comfortable duvets, giant plasma TVs, the very latest games consoles, access to the entire top Sky package, gourmet food cooked by the World's best chefs, all the drugs and prostitutes on tap you could ever want.

What's not to like?.

Or have I been reading the wrong newspapers?

;-)

:D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes - and you ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »

I don't think anyone can ever say that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yes - and you ?

It would scare me sh*tless!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, of course it would.

Anybody who it doesn't either has a really, really shitty life at present, or hasn't properly understood the ramifications of losing their freedom and being caged in a confined area with a number of very immature and unstable people.

Sure you get a TV and 3 hot meals a day, but you're also sharing a 3x2 cell with a big bloke called Dave that tries to stick his cock in your bum when you're asleep.

I do think the tabloid editors are really, really thick sometimes. If they reckon prison is so great why don't they break the law and get sent there to live? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would scare me sh*tless!

Indeed, being deprived of my liberty is up there with the scariest and most negative situations life can threaten someone with..
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it would scare me.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are many people who have spent time in prison who have turned out to be innocent, so you can't say that for certain.
  • Options
    zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the ones with the cushioned walls like a bouncy castle, they seem fun:D:D:D:D:D:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would the prospect of prison scare you?
    It would worry me.
    Do you think life inside is as dangerous as is made out?
    How dangerours are UK prisons made out to be?
    I would expect to survive the experience.
    No, but I know over half a dozen people who have been in prison.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understand the principle but you genuinely never know and things can happen you have no control of even as an innocent man.

Faced the prospect for something I hadn't done and I used to box and do a fair bit of weights when I found myself in that situation I smashed the gym and did MMA 3 nights a week that'll give an indication of how I felt about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scousemick wrote: »
    I understand the principle but you genuinely never know and things can happen you have no control of even as an innocent man.

Faced the prospect for something I hadn't done and I used to box and do a fair bit of weights when I found myself in that situation I smashed the gym and did MMA 3 nights a week that'll give an indication of how I felt about it.

You're right there. The anguish of the innocent man trapped by circumstantial evidence.

All you can do is pray you're never in that dark place.

Did you get out of your problem OK ? - I'm presuming you did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    You're right there. The anguish of the innocent man trapped by circumstantial evidence.

All you can do is pray you're never in that dark place.

Did you get out of your problem OK ? - I'm presuming you did.

Yep absolutely , Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I doubt it's anymore dangerous than this jungle we call the free world.

Boredom is probably the biggest threat to any inmate.

I seriously doubt that. I can easily imagine your life being in danger if you happened to get on the wrong side of someone in there.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I very nearly did one month behind bars for persistent non-payment of a fine many years ago when I was about 18; and I don't mind telling you that I almost shat myself.

I'll never forget the judge's words: "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't send you to prison this morning. You can't can you?"

I was absolutely petrified and, as he started conferring with the two people sitting either side of him, I just blurted out endless grovelling apologies and promises to pay. I was almost in tears I was that scared.

He then conferred again and said: "You've narrowly avoided going to prison, young man. I sentence you to one month in prison... suspended until the fine is paid."

I didn't miss another payment after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I very nearly did one month behind bars for persistent non-payment of a fine many years ago when I was about 18; and I don't mind telling you that I almost shat myself.

I'll never forget the judge's words: "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't send you to prison this morning. You can't can you?"

I was absolutely petrified and, as he started conferring with the two people sitting either side of him, I just blurted out endless grovelling apologies and promises to pay. I was almost in tears I was that scared.

He then conferred again and said: "You've narrowly avoided going to prison, young man. I sentence you to one month in prison... suspended until the fine is paid."

I didn't miss another payment after that.

Was it a court fine?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone can ever say that.

I certainly can.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A well run prison is not intrinsically dangerous, but one with 200% occupancy where people are shut away in their cells for 23 hours a day is, very. Take volatile people with poor impulse control, and shut them up in a small room with someone they don't know or like and it seems almost certain to lead to bullying, often of a pretty physical kind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly can.

Go on, enlighten us all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly can.

Unless you can predict the future I'm not sure you can . Do you drive then there is a chance of you losing concentration for a second or speeding and something more serious happening . So do you own a home , what if you confronted a burglar and the situation escalated . Are you single , what if a sexual partner made false allegations ? Do you leave your home , What if you were the victim of an unprovoked attack when there was no CCTV and you got the better of the attacker who then lied about the circumstances ? That's before we talk about an accident to someone close to you and the facts or circumstances perhaps being misinterpreted . Not everyone is as honest as you People lie , police and cps make mistakes , sometimes through no fault of your own you find yourself in a horrific situation , you may well be acquitted but that doesn't make the proceeding 18 months any easier.

I can certainly say it's unlikely but unless you can predict the future then I'm afraid you just can't be that sure .
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Was it a court fine?

It was one of several fines I had for driving offences. I was a right little shit back in those days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scousemick wrote: »
    Unless you can predict the future I'm not sure you can . Do you drive then there is a chance of you losing concentration for a second or speeding and something more serious happening . So do you own a home , what if you confronted a burglar and the situation escalated . Are you single , what if a sexual partner made false allegations ? Do you leave your home , What if you were the victim of an unprovoked attack when there was no CCTV and you got the better of the attacker who then lied about the circumstances ? That's before we talk about an accident to someone close to you and the facts or circumstances perhaps being misinterpreted . Not everyone is as honest as you People lie , police and cps make mistakes , sometimes through no fault of your own you find yourself in a horrific situation , you may well be acquitted but that doesn't make the proceeding 18 months any easier.

I can certainly say it's unlikely but unless you can predict the future then I'm afraid you just can't be that sure .

^^This^^