The Late Late Show with James Corden – weeknights at 12:35am on CBS

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The Huntsman special was an very entertaining show. One of his best yet.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I haven't watched it yet, but its interesting he's starting to do 'cast of... specials' like Conan does.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem to have helped it at the US box office.
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to have helped it at the US box office.

I have no intention of watching the film but I think the four guests would have gelled well if they were there for separate projects.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised to see him have a couch full of proper A-list guests.

Usually it's one big A-list and the rest is mixture of B and C's. Hope it continues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy Carr is on Wednesday's show.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Yeah that sounds about right for US network television, regardless of the time of day/night.
    While we’re talking about the absurdities of it – you can say the word ‘ass’, you can say the word ‘butthole’, but you can’t say the word ‘asshole’! :confused::D

Modern Family (among others) have often used bitch, bastard and pissed. Who picks what is allowed ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Modern Family (among others) have often used bitch, bastard and pissed. Who picks what is allowed ?

And all of those words would be allowed on The Late Late Show too.

As for who determines what is and isn’t allowed, American network television is regulated by the FCC (which is like their equivalent to Ofcom) so they make sure taste and decently is upheld. However, in the US the networks also have to consider pleasing the affiliates and their advertisers (because if advertisers don’t want to be associated with a programme that they think will offend their target customers or damage their brand they will stop buying airtime), so most networks will also have their own rulebook of what is acceptable and when.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy Carr is on Wednesday's show.

I can't see his style working with American audiences somehow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jimmy Carr's actually performed on a number of US late night talk shows, going all the way back to ‘Late Night with Conan O’Brien’ about 15 years ago. He was recently on ‘The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon’ a few months ago too.
    But I’m surprised he keeps making appearances, he’s clearly not going to make it big out there and he’s got plenty of success over here to keep him happy (you’d think).
    Obviously this time there’s a connection, what with him and James being friends.
    Forum Member

He changes his style for North American audiences. He speaks slower and posher, if you can believe that.

As stated above, checkout his Fallon appearance for how he changes his act to suit.
    Also The Nasty Show on youtube. He changes his delivery but keeps his 'bad taste' set as that is the theme of the festival.

A few UK comedians are doing US gigs this year. Russell Howard, Alan Carr a couple I know of. Not sure if they combine them with the Montreal Comedy Festival which many of them do.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy Carr's actually performed on a number of US late night talk shows, going all the way back to ‘Late Night with Conan O’Brien’ about 15 years ago. He was recently on ‘The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon’ a few months ago too.
    But I’m surprised he keeps making appearances, he’s clearly not going to make it big out there and he’s got plenty of success over here to keep him happy (you’d think).
    Obviously this time there’s a connection, what with him and James being friends.

Late Night with Conan O’Brien used to be on CNBC at weekends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Late Night with Conan O’Brien used to be on CNBC at weekends.

Yes it did, as did Conan’s short lived Tonight Show... although I don’t know what that’s got to do with Jimmy Carr appearing on it about 15 years ago? :confused:

CNBC Europe now show ‘The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon’ weeknights at 11pm (30 minute edits) and weekends at 8pm (full version).
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's done quite a few chat shows of late, he did Fallon a few weeks ago and Chris Hardwick on Monday.

His big problem is that he's only playing New York (City), LA and San Francisco. He needs to do a bigger tour and do some of those other towns. Eddie Izzard will do tours of 10 or more cities and even Noel Fielding was playing Chicago the other month

Russell Howard has visited twice but unfortunately his 2nd tour was practically identical to the 1st

Just playing the East and West Coast isn't going to accomplish much
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is Jimmy Carr actually doing in the US though?
    He’s being doing appearances in the US for years, so it’s unlikely that he’s ever going to break into the mainstream now.
    Why does he go out and perform in the US when he could be making much more money doing something over here?
    Is he still trying to make it big in the US? Or does he do it for fun, or a bit of low key international critical acclaim?

Obviously he can do whatever he likes, and I’m in no way criticising him, I just wonder why he goes to the US and other successful comedians from over here (such as Michael McIntyre) don’t.
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's just a busman's holiday.
    Have a jolly but do a few gigs at the same time. This time he gets to be on his mates chat show.

AFAIK the main countries the UK comics tour are Canada and Australia. Probably because of the Commonwealth connection and the same type of humour.
    Forum Member
    Oh btw, not sure if Corden has used the bell before, possibly once or twice, but he used it on the Maisy Williams edition.

Still don't know the reason for it being there though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh btw, not sure if Corden has used the bell before, possibly once or twice, but he used it on the Maisy Williams edition.

Still don't know the reason for it being there though :D

Ah, the bell on his desk... thinking about that keeps me up at night! :D
    I like to think it’s the same bell Craig Ferguson used to use on his Late Late Show, and it was given to James Corden as a gift. But despite trying to confirm this I still don’t know if I’m right.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a pisstake of the obligatory battle/showdown. Gwen Stefani is always a little dull so it's not much of a surprise that her Carpool Karaoke got George Clooney singing We are the champions to liven things up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    He's done quite a few chat shows of late, he did Fallon a few weeks ago and Chris Hardwick on Monday.

His big problem is that he's only playing New York (City), LA and San Francisco. He needs to do a bigger tour and do some of those other towns. Eddie Izzard will do tours of 10 or more cities and even Noel Fielding was playing Chicago the other month

Russell Howard has visited twice but unfortunately his 2nd tour was practically identical to the 1st

Just playing the East and West Coast isn't going to accomplish much

Jimmy Carr is on a world tour at the moment, he's not trying to crack the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »

But I wonder why Jimmy Carr is doing very small gigs in the US... when he could be doing large gigs/other work in the UK earning 10 times as much. Or just doing nothing and saving money/time by not travelling and staying in the US.I just don’t understand the financial logic to it... but maybe that’s it – maybe he’s not doing it for the money?

But I enjoyed his appearance on The Late Late Show. I felt he was trying too hard to get into the conversation at times, but I never thought I’d see him having a conversation with Deeks from NCIS:LA! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    A bit of a pisstake of the obligatory battle/showdown. Gwen Stefani is always a little dull so it's not much of a surprise that her Carpool Karaoke got George Clooney singing We are the champions to liven things up.

I think a new Carpool Karaoke with Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas was recorded this week... I'll expect we'll be seeing that very soon too.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So that's why he had his teeth veneered.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan 8t1 wrote: »

So is Russell Howard, somehow!

I'd like to see Jimmy Carr host the Golden Globes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    I'd like to see Jimmy Carr host the Golden Globes.

He’d probably be quite good, although probably very similar to Ricky Gervais' approach.
    It’s not going to happen though, 99.99% of Americans don’t know who Jimmy Carr is.