VEEP (US Pace)

LennieLennie Posts: 25,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Been looking forward to this, its on tonight in the US on HBO, i heard its coming to Sky Atlantic - dont know when though.....

Veep Season 1: Trailer #1 - YouTube

VEEP | Facebook
Veep official site HBO

Veep Season 1: Invitation To The Set - YouTube

Centers on former Senator Selina Meyer who finds being Vice President of the United States is nothing like she expected and everything everyone ever warned about.

Former senator Selina Meyer was a rising star in her party, a charismatic leader with White House potential. Then she became Vice President. Julia Louis-Dreyfus stars in Veep, a new HBO comedy series created by Armando Iannucci that follows the whirlwind day-to-day existence of the Vice President as she puts out political fires, juggles a busy public schedule and demanding private life, and defends the president’s interests, even as she tries to improve her dysfunctional relationship with the chief executive. The cast also includes Tony Hale, Anna Chlumsky, Matt Walsh, Reid Scott, Timothy C. Simons and Sufe Bradshaw.

http://www.selina-meyer-veep.com/

Comments

• Mikey_Mikey_ Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this, usually enjoy Julia Louis-Dreyfus stuff.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be watching this later on, read some good reviews on tumblr so far
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Is it coming to sky atlantic....I didn't hear this but would LOVE to see it. Looks amazing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like it is coming to Atlantic, probably in the summer i think - not sure
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm - I'll give it a go but from the preview it looks like a too obvious Palin parody. Not only would I expect HBO to be more original, intelligent and subtle but Palin is her own greatest parody. She doesn't need a TV show to do it.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Is it coming to sky atlantic....I didn't hear this but would LOVE to see it. Looks amazing!

HBO sold exclusivity to Sky, so one can assume all new shows will appear on sky eventually.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, it certainly has potential. It lacks one thing however: Malcolm Tucker!
    Luckily it has nothing to do with S. Palin. As far as I can tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also liked it, JLD is so spot on - and i think each character is well put together and it flows
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Hmm - I'll give it a go but from the preview it looks like a too obvious Palin parody...

Not really, it's just the VP role nicely fits with the whole DoSAC lack of power / responsibility. She's far more Nicola Murray than Sarah Palin

This felt much more like The Thick of It than In the loop did, quite enjoyable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Not really, it's just the VP role nicely fits with the whole DoSAC lack of power / responsibility. She's far more Nicola Murray than Sarah Palin

This felt much more like The Thick of It than In the loop did, quite enjoyable

OK, I'll withdraw my previous comments. It just shows that you shouldn't judge a new programme by its trailer and without knowing who it was written by. The YouTube clip really does make it look like a Palin paraody but now I've seen the pilot it's much cleverer and better than that. My apologies to Iannucci.

Let's hope this finds an audience in the States.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it very much, perfect mix of funny and awkward. Will definitely be watching the next episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Selina's reaction to what Amy did with the senator's card lol
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I chuckled about 3 times. Wasn't anywhere NEAR the levels of funny that TTOI is. Will persevere for a few more eps yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was clearly cut from the same cloth as The Thick of It and the VEEP character was very Nicola Murray but it didn't feel as immediately engaging as its UK parent show.

I had this continual feeling that the US actors were not as sure about the material or delivery as they should have been. There are US comedies of this type (see anything by Christopher Guest) so it's not that US actors cannot do this type of material but I got the impression that they still behaved like they were acting in a normal US sitcom. I got the same impression from the US version of The Office (which I only watched the first episode of so I don't know how it turned out).

Maybe I just have to let the characters bed in more so they become familiar and their actions and words have more impact.
  • not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This felt very much like the first episode of Parks and Recreation. A strong, very funny female lead, a supporting cast with a few very obvious weak links and not a lot of chemistry, and just an altogether messy, but potentially salvageable start to the series. Without Julia Louis Dreyfuss, this would most likely have been a disaster, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw the 2nd episode, i liked it

Lol at Selina at the end..... embarassing or what
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still not convinced by this. Given it's cast and writers, I want to like it but it just seem lacking in something or maybe its because they are trying too hard. Anna Chlumsky is lovely though (even if I did prefer her role in In The Loop)
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HBO have renewed it for a second season. Coming to Sky Atlantic in June.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with LostFool.

If it wasn't for the pedigree I would probably be writing this off.

I found my mind wandering too much during the second episode. For me, it comes across like they know what they want to do but they haven't quite got the conviction to pull it off. I don't feel invested in any of the characters. After two episodes I don't really know who any of them are or what they do. Maybe it's just because I've not been concentrating hard enough but I didn't find this with The Thick of It or, for example, Getting On that grabbed from the first episode.

I'll keep on with it but for me it's a disappointment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the second episode more than the first. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is outstanding, particularly in the scenes where she was "stepping in" for the President.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just not into this.

I'm trying to work out what the problem is and I think that's it's the performances.

i really wish they'd hired Christopher Guest's troupe of actors to perform this because too many of the cast in this show act like they're in a US sitcom with all the overacting that this implies. There's no subtlety to the performances and this distracts from all the other aspects of the show like story and script.

I devoured The Thick of It and In The Loop but these actors just cannot be natural.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's the overacting which is the problem. The Thick of It and In The Loop felt like a genuine documentary but this, despite the good intentions of the script, just feels too forced.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I think it's the overacting which is the problem. The Thick of It and In The Loop felt like a genuine documentary but this, despite the good intentions of the script, just feels too forced.
    dsrichard wrote: »
    I'm just not into this.

I'm trying to work out what the problem is and I think that's it's the performances.
    I devoured The Thick of It and In The Loop but these actors just cannot be natural.

Yeah, sad to say but I agree. It does seem to sitcomy. I had high hopes with the first episode but now I've lost confidence in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it's NOT The Thick Of It. It's Veep.
    Stop looking for comparisons and differences and enjoy it for what it is.