Options

The Good Wife (US pace)

2»

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yesterdays' episode (S7E12) sucked. too much time and the musician actor was OTT.

It was a light and fluffy filler episode (apart from the end). Not one of their best but I thought it was OK.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it inevitable that this series is the last. Everything seems geared toward a finale. Still and all, the storyline this week was interesting. Will Alicia go back?
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange episode. Alicia's perfect world is falling apart. On the plus side, I have remembered where I saw Jason Krause before. He was Judah Botwin in weeds!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a terrible episode, almost as bad as the latest US episode of 'Scandal'.

This season has been poor for a couple of returning shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the first time I've ever turned an episode off halfway through as it was so boring. I went back to it later to finish it only because I had nothing better to watch.

Goodness knows why Michael J. Fox is still making the effort to appear. One the the strengths of TGW during it's long run has always been the quality of guest star it was able to attract but this had "contractual obligation" written all over it.
  • Options
    gkabcgkabc Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ With only a few more episodes left, I am pretty disappointed they had to throw away an episode like that. Hopefully that is the end of Zach and Grace and Alicia's mother. I never cared for any of them. I was hoping that Elsbeth would return since her ex dropped out of Peter's trial, but now that she's doing a weekly sitcom, she may not have been available.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    What a strange episode. Alicia's perfect world is falling apart. On the plus side, I have remembered where I saw Jason Krause before. He was Judah Botwin in weeds!

He was also Denny in Greys Anatomy if you watch that.

Haven't watched this episode yet and can't say I am rushing to after the comments. I will watch it sometime this week no doubt.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is difficult to say that this finale was disappointing because the whole show has been on a downward drag for a couple of years now.

No doubt there will be some who would conclude that Alicia finally earned her wings and applaud her finally embracing her independence. Actually, for me she began as the good wife and left as a good wife who was *good* for nothing that was worth remembering or be inspired by. She became and, when reflecting back, always seemed a slave to other people's whims, desires, weaknesses and wishes.

(ETA: If I am to take that finale to mean that she finally became independent and strong, I am saddened to say that I came away thinking and feeling a completely different thing. She did not reach this moment out of her own free will, violation or independent decision-making. She came to it because she had no choice, she had burnt many bridges and her sap of a husband came totally and utterly useless for her and to her. Well done, Jason, for standing your ground. "Wait for me" my behind! And after you called him a child and less than what Will was and meant to you.)

Diane walking out of the courtroom and the slap she gave Alicia pretty much summed up my final feelings about Alicia, a character who started off so well in the first 3-4 seasons and then steadily went downhill after that.

TGW was really good and novel in its earliest seasons, but I can't say that I'll miss it given the way it has gone for the past 2 or 3 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    It is difficult to say that this finale was disappointing because the whole show has been on a downward drag for a couple of years now.

No doubt there will be some who whould conclude that Alicia finally earned her wings and applaud her finally embracing her independence. Actually, for me she began as the good wife and left as a good wife who was *good* for nothing that was worth rendering or be inspired by. She became, and when looking back always was, a slave to other people's whims, desires, weaknesses and wishes.

That slap Diane gave her pretty much summed up my final feelings about this character who started off so well in the first 3-4 seasons and then steadily went downhill after that. f

TGW was really good and novel in its earliest seasons, but I can't say that I'll miss it given the way it has gone for the past 2 or 3 years.

Yes sadly I agree with what you have written.

I think the main thing for me is that like you say she really didn't come out of it a better person IMO. She seemed to be a more bitter mercenary person willing to use any one even supposed friends.

Not sure if the show lived up to the title or the promise of the early seasons. But it was worth it for the first 3 seasons at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a very strange ending but I suppose it was better than having her ride off into the sunset happily ever after.

I'm pleased they finished this season and it got a proper ending rather than dragging it out any more. The first 3 or 4 seasons were some of the best network TV in recent years but it has been running on empty for too long.

A good review of the finale: http://tvline.com/2016/05/09/the-good-wife-finale-review-alicia-diane-slap-scene/
  • Options
    RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst agreeing that the show had dipped in standard over the last few series, I for one will miss it and the mix of characters and even recurring actors that have been popping in and out over the years. Was a regular Monday night show for us and one we always looked forward to.

It was great to see Will put an appearance in also
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that ending rather lame and disappointing :(

It was worth it, though, to see Diane slap Alicia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raven wrote: »
    Whilst agreeing that the show had dipped in standard over the last few series, I for one will miss it and the mix of characters and even recurring actors that have been popping in and out over the years. Was a regular Monday night show for us and one we always looked forward to.

For me, the quality of the guest stars and recurring characters has always been one of the show's biggest strengths. It's nice to have the consistency of well developed characters who might only pop up once a twice a season rather than just anonymous "opposition lawyer/judge/client of the week".

Here's a good list of some of the best recurring characters http://www.bustle.com/articles/159197-39-good-wife-guest-stars-ranked-from-killer-clients-to-wacky-lawyers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Nice link pal, thanks. :)
  • Options
    gkabcgkabc Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the past few episodes, I didn't expect a strong ending, and it certainly did not surpass expectations. I really enjoyed many of the characters on that show, even if the writing itself was sometimes fairly annoying. Juliana, Archie, Alan, and Christine (and notably Carrie Preston as Elsbeth) were all wonderful in their respective roles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gkabc wrote: »
    After the past few episodes, I didn't expect a strong ending, and it certainly did not surpass expectations. I really enjoyed many of the characters on that show, even if the writing itself was sometimes fairly annoying. Juliana, Archie, Alan, and Christine (and notably Carrie Preston as Elsbeth) were all wonderful in their respective roles.

Now that Crowded has been cancelled perhaps Carrie Preston could have a spin off series as Elsbeth. In a sort Ally McBeal role,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that Crowded has been cancelled perhaps Carrie Preston could have a spin off series as Elsbeth. In a sort Ally McBeal role,

:o Crowded as well . . .FFS

Haven't even watched it yet, was saving it for a binge weekend once I had all the eps. :(

Man its been a hard week . . . just hoping for this Spin Off to materialise.