Options

I want to move to Birmingham

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a little boy who lives in Leicester, and my brother lives in Coventry. I have lived all over the East Midlands, but I'm now back in my native West Yorkshire but hate it.

I was in Birmingham yesterday looking at different areas and noticed that many nicer areas are next to what I'd term as "sh*tty looking" areas. Some parts looked pretty rough too.

What I want to know is, where could I get a 1 bed flat for around £450 pcm in a nice, clean, safe area? I'm not against looking further out to neighbouring boroughs, so it doesn't have to be Birmingham, but certainly within that conurbation.

Comments

• Options
    Sarah_1971Sarah_1971 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a place called Sheldon which is near Birmingham Airport. Its very nice and I'm sure the rents are reasonable. Have a look at some of the local estate agents websites.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here goes Sheldon (and surrounding area), 1 bed flats.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Sheldon/1-bed-flats.html

East side of the city so handy for both Leicester and Coventry, also good if you are plane spotter.:D
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avoid the area around West Brom's football ground. I've driven through it many times and it's like war torn Beirut.
  • Options
    Sarah_1971Sarah_1971 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive to Coventry most days for work and it takes about 20 mins depending on what time I go. I work shifts so times can vary. It's a nice area and at the moment on Zoopla there is a 3 bed flat to rent at £450 pm. They seem quite nice too.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avoid the area around West Brom's football ground. I've driven through it many times and it's like war torn Beirut.

Beirut also has some nice areas.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Kings Heath should be in budget, is still fairly nice and clean and not too far from the southern end of the M42. However the traffic around Kings Heath is going north, East or west can be an absolute nightmare. Kings Heath is a big area so you're not necessarily bordering anywhere unpleasant, but certainly keep away from the south west corner, by Druids Heath. The south and west of the city in my opinion are the most preferable (except the extremities, including the aforementioned Druids Heath, as well as Hawksley, Frankley, Northfield.. There are some nice parts in the east too, such as the bits bordering Solihull but they can be a bit more pricey and also next to the less pleasant areas.

You might as well write the north off completely. :D (it's not all that bad)
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am born and bred Brummy.
    East Birmingham (Where Sarah is) is ok in parts, homes are pretty cheap if you don't mind ex council properties you can easily get one within your budget. access to the M6 and places like Coventry.
    I am in Northfield, SW Brum. It has alot of council, but also alot of other types of houses but it is very slightly more expensive than east. I pay just under 600pcm for a tiny 3 bed semi, so shopping around should get you what you are after. There are very close links to M42 an M5, along with access to the SW England easily.
    I agree with Kings Heath observation, it has a fantastic 3 min 24 hour bus service though so cars are not necessarily needed if you get a place close enough to the bus route.

North Brum is close to M6 and spaghetti junction, with Areas such as Erdington being affordable. But places like Sutton Coldfield would be out of your budget, on a par with Solihull prices (quite expensive unless you live in a home that is cheap and very uncheerful)

Basically most of the city is fine for your price range if you go for places about 5 miles out of the city, any further or closer then forget it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Really? Not one of you has given him the low-down on the litter situation in any of these areas......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Really? Not one of you has given him the low-down on the litter situation in any of these areas......

Litter can be bad in most places, but where I am I rarely see none. Might help that I am 2 minutes walk from the countryside, and not in the hub of the city. But even then there is alot less than I remember growing up.
    I might be looking through rose tinted glasses but I don't see hardly any.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    Litter can be bad in most places, but where I am I rarely see none. Might help that I am 2 minutes walk from the countryside, and not in the hub of the city. But even then there is alot less than I remember growing up.
    I might be looking through rose tinted glasses but I don't see hardly any.

Sorry, i don't normally raise grammar but I don't understand what you mean here.

Do you mean you hardly see none ie you see litter most of the time, or are you using a double negative but mean you hardly see any litter ??
  • Options
    PickpussPickpuss Posts: 72,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only know the south of Birmingham, and will suggest Kings Heath as previously mentioned, Kings Norton (Cotteridge, Bournville is expensive), Moseley, Harborne, Northfield (some parts). Selly Oak/Selly Park have a lot of places to rent due to being Studentsville.

Not sure what the post about the 'litter situation' is all about. I wouldn't have thought we had any more litter than any other city!

Mark1974, Birmingham Welcomes you with open arms :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Pickpuss wrote: »

Not sure what the post about the 'litter situation' is all about. I wouldn't have thought we had any more litter than any other city!

Mark has a little thing for litter - look at his posting history bemoaning how he hates Wakefield (his current abode) as there's too much litter.....

Would have thought it was the first thing he asked, knowing how obsessed he is. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark has a little thing for litter - look at his posting history bemoaning how he hates Wakefield (his current abode) as there's too much litter.....

Would have thought it was the first thing he asked, knowing how obsessed he is. :D

Ah, gotcha :D

Ok, once he narrows down his choices I'm sure us Brummies will do a recce for him and report back on the litter situation ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trust a Yorkshireman to have a dig about that. Is it so wrong that I don't like to see litter? Do you actually like it, because if you do I'll bring some round for you, although living up here you've probably got plenty of your own.

I saw plenty of litter in Birmingham on Saturday, but in areas I wouldn't want to live. I also saw plenty of nice, clean areas. On the whole Birmingham is very green with lots of parks, open spaces and trees. Quite frankly it beats any city up here.

Kings Heath was actually somewhere I visited, and with a train every 10 mins into New Street, it would be very handy.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Kings Heath was actually somewhere I visited, and with a train every 10 mins into New Street, it would be very handy.

It would be if they hadn't closed the railway station in 1941:D
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my brother lives in solihull its really nice.earlswood, hollywood and shirley.it may be too far outside central Birmingham for the op but in a car its only a fifteen minute drive .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    It would be if they hadn't closed the railway station in 1941:D

Hahaha, good point. I'm thinking Kings Norton!

Too many "kings" in Brum, what with Kings Norton, Kings Heath, Kingstanding, Kingshurst.
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    I am born and bred Brummy.
    East Birmingham (Where Sarah is) is ok in parts, homes are pretty cheap if you don't mind ex council properties you can easily get one within your budget. access to the M6 and places like Coventry.
    I am in Northfield, SW Brum. It has alot of council, but also alot of other types of houses but it is very slightly more expensive than east. I pay just under 600pcm for a tiny 3 bed semi, so shopping around should get you what you are after. There are very close links to M42 an M5, along with access to the SW England easily.
    I agree with Kings Heath observation, it has a fantastic 3 min 24 hour bus service though so cars are not necessarily needed if you get a place close enough to the bus route.

South Brum is definitely better. I live just round the corner from you in Cofton Common, which is a stones throw from West Heath. Brilliant motorway links and Longbridge is looking pretty good at the mo with M& S opening very soon and new opportunites.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you were wanting to move somewhere better?

not just litter you have to be concerned with but uninsured drivers, higher crime rates lots of traffic.

no nice places to visit, yorkshire has the dales, moors, scarborough to name a few birmingham has erm...

but I guess thats it, I think Yorkshire is better but I am sure the brummies for some strange reason think birmingham is better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I thought you were wanting to move somewhere better?

not just litter you have to be concerned with but uninsured drivers, higher crime rates lots of traffic.

no nice places to visit, yorkshire has the dales, moors, scarborough to name a few birmingham has erm...

but I guess thats it, I think Yorkshire is better but I am sure the brummies for some strange reason think birmingham is better

The West Midlands region (not the county) has Stratford, Warwick, part of the Cotswolds, the Malvern Hills, Shropshire Hills, Staffordshire Moorlands, Alton Towers, Cannock Chase, Wye Valley, the cathedral cities of Lichfield, Worcester, and Hereford, historic Shrewsbury, Vale of Evesham, and part of the National Forest.

In the West Midlands county, Cadbury World, Black Country Museum, National Sea Life Centre, Dudley Zoo, Dudley Castle, Thinktank, Botanical Gardens, Coventry Cathedral, Coventry Transport Museum, Sutton Park (biggest urban park in Europe), Jewellery Quarter, and the Lickey and Clent Hills. Not to mention Birmingham being a great shopping destination, full of parks, canals, and home to the famous Balti Triangle. On top of it all, it's centrally located.

The downside is it's so far inland, but all in all, you can keep your Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    The West Midlands region (not the county) has Stratford, Warwick, part of the Cotswolds, the Malvern Hills, Shropshire Hills, Staffordshire Moorlands, Alton Towers, Cannock Chase, Wye Valley, the cathedral cities of Lichfield, Worcester, and Hereford, historic Shrewsbury, Vale of Evesham, and part of the National Forest.

In the West Midlands county, Cadbury World, Black Country Museum, National Sea Life Centre, Dudley Zoo, Dudley Castle, Thinktank, Botanical Gardens, Coventry Cathedral, Coventry Transport Museum, Sutton Park (biggest urban park in Europe), Jewellery Quarter, and the Lickey and Clent Hills. Not to mention Birmingham being a great shopping destination, full of parks, canals, and home to the famous Balti Triangle. On top of it all, it's centrally located.

The downside is it's so far inland, but all in all, you can keep your Yorkshire.

And we have a lot more opening in September
  • Options
    _Ash__Ash_ Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pickpuss wrote: »

Ahhh yes, only 2 years overdue ;) Though I must say it looks impressive when you walk up from Smallbrook Queensway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It also is supposed to have the biggest amount of parks and also canals are more plenty than Venice.

Pull2open: I meant both, and yes my grammar isn't the best. But when you have to limit what you type to minimise the pain you get from it, you just type the quickest thing you can. Sorry if offended :)

bostin_austin: I should've guessed at your name that you was a fellow Brummie :) My we are pretty close! I am the other side of Northfield, close to BVT land and Weoley Castle so very close indeed!

Mark: I am sure that you will choose a good place whatever part of the country you live in.
    For me its the best of both worlds, being 5 miles from the city centre yet very close to the countryside within 5 minutes walk I can be next to Bartley Reservoir and being bitten to death by horse flies :p.
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there a shopping centre opening up by Airport/NEC this year too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there a shopping centre opening up by Airport/NEC this year too?

That's right, although there hasn't been much about it in the news.