Options

Just watched some of Katies performances

GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You know she is quite good. After the fact I can see what the judges saw in her.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something more than the sheer desperation? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After looking at the voting %s week on week, I'm pretty sure the judges would acknowledge they made a mistake with keeping her in. She wasn't popular and people didn't want to see her on their TV screens, as Cowell continuously suggested.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After looking at the voting %s week on week, I'm pretty sure the judges would acknowledge they made a mistake with keeping her in. She wasn't popular and people didn't want to see her on their TV screens, as Cowell continuously suggested.

Still good though. Her manner was annoying I think that was the problem not her talent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Still good though. Her manner was annoying I think that was the problem not her talent.

To be honest, she was fighting a losing battle from week one. If she hadn't decided to act like a complete knob during auditions, and insist on reinventing herself every week ("this is the real me, honest"), she could have come across much better and would have been far more popular.

With regard to her talent... she had a certain degree of presence, but in terms of singing ability she left a lot to be desired. I lost count of the number of times she built up to a big note and failed to deliver it. She wasn't powerful enough for the songs she chose.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, I really disliked her, but I do think she had an okay voice... Problem is she had no consistency. Sometimes she sounded really good, other times she sounded horrendous.

My favourite performance of hers was when she did the song from The Jungle Book.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I liked her right from her first audition :)
  • Options
    blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought she got a majorly raw deal! She has a good voice and put in some amazing performances ... I loved King of the Swingers, had it in my head for literally a week
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Loathed her from the moment I clapped my sorry eyes on her. Even more so when she started to "sing". How she got through and Gamu and actually the other girls like Trayc didn't was beyond me.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were times I physically cringed because her singing was so off key. She really wasn't very good.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Disliked her from the beginning. She never once impressed me with her vocals. In fact, I think we just got desensitized to her. I saw her original audition tonight it was tragic. Louis said no, I think Dannii would have done too if she was there. Imagine this year with NO KATIE
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    Her voice had no power and little range. However, when singing within her range she had a very pleasing tone.

King of the Swingers showed off her voice very nicely, I thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    She wasn't better then Treyc. She wasn't better then Aiden.

She should of been eliminated when she was up against Treyc. Not her fault personally she got through, but that caused such a bad taste in peoples mouths. People didn't get over it in a hurry either. She was always better in her sing offs, but she still deserved to go pretty early in the competition. Regardless of her very annoying personality on camera, I didn't like the sound of her voice, but when she put her heart into it she was quite good at times.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her and I think she has a distinctive voice that is fairly unique. I tihnk she might reappear in another guise and the public could grow to like her.

BUT: The circumstances of everything about her appeaances on XF - from her first audition to the bizarre scenes at Cheryl's 'house' to the sod it moment in her sing-off showed that she was not suited to this sort of popularity competition.

I praise the judges for trying to help her to get herself across and to give her every chance, but it WAS at other people's expense on some occasions and that only worked against Katie. People like a noble loser, they don't like a judge's chosen one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Her voice had no power and little range. However, when singing within her range she had a very pleasing tone.

King of the Swingers showed off her voice very nicely, I thought.

I agree. Thats some peoples taste, but not mine personally. I much prefer a voice with alot of range. She could sing but she was never going to make the hairs on your neck stand up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    LaurieM's absolutely right - K's voice lacks power and range.

This will place tight limits on the songs she can even consider performing. It'll also place a limit on situations she can perform in - in any less-than-ideal live gig situation her voice will tend to get lost in the mix (you can't just turn a vocal mike up to infinity or it will both pick up extraneous sounds and it will feed back).

I used to be a tour sound engineer, and any time I came across a voice like hers I'd know we were all in for a rough night...