Options

Sky upload limit?

Denny HaynesDenny Haynes Posts: 99
Forum Member
Whats the highest amount i can upload on Sky broadband?, only at the momment i'm only getting 70KB/s max.
Is there anyway i could get this higher?

Thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Whats the highest amount i can upload on Sky broadband?, only at the momment i'm only getting 70KB/s max.
    Is there anyway i could get this higher?

Thx in advance.
    If you mean speed, the highest you will get is 1MB - but its rare to get that. That said, a speed of 70KB is shocking. I live almost next door to the exchange and my upload is just under 900KB.

Have you got the stats from your router to show us? Log on to 192.168.0.1 (username admin, password sky) then click show statistics and post your details from there.

There's obviously a few things to take into consideration when working out what your max speed for up and download will be.

Which package are you on?

How long have you been connected? New connections are subject to a 10 day line test, during which your speeds can fluctuate a lot.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlaminHell wrote: »
    If you mean speed, the highest you will get is 1MB - but its rare to get that. That said, a speed of 70KB is shocking. I live almost next door to the exchange and my upload is just under 900KB.

Have you got the stats from your router to show us? Log on to 192.168.0.1 (username admin, password sky) then click show statistics and post your details from there.

There's obviously a few things to take into consideration when working out what your max speed for up and download will be.

Which package are you on?

How long have you been connected? New connections are subject to a 10 day line test, during which y
    our speeds can fluctuate a lot.

You are making the common mistake of getting KB/s and kbps mixed up. When you download a file the figure you get is KB/s (Kilobytes a second) but your Sky router gives the figure in kbps (Kilobits a second)

Your 900kbps gives you a upload of around 109KB/s
    The OP's 70KB/s is equal to 572kbps.

To give some further context my upload is 796kbps which is equal to about 97KB/s

Additionally what needs to be remembered is the speed a router connects at is only the maximum. You won't achieve that ever as there are additional overheads and other factors which will decide the actual upload speed
  • Options
    Denny HaynesDenny Haynes Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 10508 kbps 764 kbps
    Line Attenuation 36.5 db 20.1 db
    Noise Margin 7.1 db 14.5 db

So it seems i'm getting the best possible, bugger bit slow innit.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My upload is never any less than 800kbps and my download is only 3.6Mbit.

56db attenuation.