Options

Canon Printer/My Image Garden..??

logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone explain how to print out 2 different pictures on one piece of paper with this system?
The "My Image Garden" system makes no sense to me. It asks me to select a theme (layout of the pictures) then select "main people" but the Main People section is empty and it won't let me drag in pictures or enter names.
When i do access my pics it closes the template and when i open the template i can't access pics. What am i doing wrong?
If anyone can explain how this works in simple english it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea what an "image garden" is. One of the pieces of software I got with my Canon printer is Canon Easy-Photo.

Select the pictures, click on the number of prints of each, select the type of paper, size of paper and layout. Layout includes two pictures on one sheet of paper.

Select "print".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two months after writing post 2, I'm in the same position as the OP. I've just installed a Canon MX455, and I now have 'My Image Garden' instead of Easy-Photo.

So I'm asking the same questions : why can't I control the photo layout?

The Quick Menu has four icons which take you into exactly the same location in MIA, which is full of options I'm never likely to want.

Is it possible to install a generalised photoprint program which will work with a Canon?
  • Options
    Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello. I just discovered this thread after buying a new Canon printer which came with the 'My Image Garden' software, and wondering if anyone thought it was as bad as I did.

I've only just got it, but my first impression is 'My Image Garden' is total garbage! It looks like Canon's tried to create a suite of software for the dumbest users ever, and as a result, produced something which is extremely limited - mash the button, it does what it does, and if you want something different - tough!

I've not used the photo layout thing, but the DVD layout designer sounds similar.

What you need to do is open the template you want (yeah, they are really limited).

Under 'My Art' you should see 'New Photo Layout' appearing. It will probably warn about having no images.

Now on the left had side, navigate to where your photos are.

The right pane shows thumbnails of them. Do not double click on them or it will open them up for editing!

Instead, drag them over and drop them on the 'New Photo Layout' you just created.

Once done, click on 'New Photo Layout' to see the empty template, and the thumbnails along the top.

Drag those thumbnails into the positions on the template where you want them to be printed.

Do not double click any of those thumbnails, or it will open them full screen with 'New Photo Layout' now unclickable to get back (if you do that by accident, click on some other folder, then 'New Photo Layout' to get back).

Yes, it's unintuitive garbage, and looks like it was programmed by the work placement student.

Yes the DVD designer is just as bad.

You can download the old CDLabelprint they used to supply from their website:

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0030999.asp

It's better, but not great. It works in Windows 7 32-bit, but not in 64-bit (despite what it says on their site)

You might be able to get hold of their old photo layout software too, or use something better, like some sort of desktop publishing software?

P.S. PaintShop Pro 7 (which is ancient nowadays) allows you to print multiple images on a single sheet of paper, resizing them whatever way you like and fitting them onto the page however you want.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    Hello. I just discovered this thread after buying a new Canon printer which came with the 'My Image Garden' software, and wondering if anyone thought it was as bad as I did.

I've only just got it, but my first impression is 'My Image Garden' is total garbage! It looks like Canon's tried to create a suite of software for the dumbest users ever, and as a result, produced something which is extremely limited - mash the button, it does what it does, and if you want something different - tough!

I've not used the photo layout thing, but the DVD layout designer sounds similar.

What you need to do is open the template you want (yeah, they are really limited).

Under 'My Art' you should see 'New Photo Layout' appearing. It will probably warn about having no images.

Now on the left had side, navigate to where your photos are.

The right pane shows thumbnails of them. Do not double click on them or it will open them up for editing!

Instead, drag them over and drop them on the 'New Photo Layout' you just created.

Once done, click on 'New Photo Layout' to see the empty template, and the thumbnails along the top.

Drag those thumbnails into the positions on the template where you want them to be printed.

Do not double click any of those thumbnails, or it will open them full screen with 'New Photo Layout' now unclickable to get back (if you do that by accident, click on some other folder, then 'New Photo Layout' to get back).

Yes, it's unintuitive garbage, and looks like it was programmed by the work placement student.

Yes the DVD designer is just as bad.

You can download the old CDLabelprint they used to supply from their website:

http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0030999.asp

It's better, but not great. It works in Windows 7 32-bit, but not in 64-bit (despite what it says on their site)

You might be able to get hold of their old photo layout software too, or use something better, like some sort of desktop publishing software?

P.S. PaintShop Pro 7 (which is ancient nowadays) allows you to print multiple images on a single sheet of paper, resizing them whatever way you like and fitting them onto the page however you want.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said about the archaic ‘My Image Garden’ package. Especially the Disc Print software.
    There is a more up to date direct-to- disc print driver utility that will still run on the most recent Canon Pixma printers.

An English version ( File name: cdlp-win-1_4_2-en.exe ) can be downloaded from:-

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/printers/InkJet/PIXMA_Pro_series/PIXMA_Pro9500_Mark_II.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:13-832450&page=1&type=download
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i never install the software that comes with printers, I have a Canon IP4200 and all I installed is the drivers to make it work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sunday my wife asked me to print about 20 photos of the grandchildren, four to an A4 sheet. This should have taken about 5 minutes to set up - it took me nearly an hour.

I remembered that you can choose your own layout in My Art/New Photo Layout. So having opened the folder with the photos in (I always copy the selected pics to a separate folder), I went to New Photo Layout.

Error - no pictures selected. So read all the Help pages - mentions of 'selected photos', but nothing on how to select them.

I then remembered there was a full description of the process in this thread, by Magic8ball (post 4). (I must have missed bri160356's post, about an alternative).

I followed that, dragged and dropped the pics, set up five pages, and pressed "Print". This takes you to a 'Printer Settings' page. Unfortunately, the paper size was set at 7 * 5, with no other options available. I tried it anyway, and it printed the first four pics within a 7*5 area! I hastily switched the printer off, to save paper.

I tried again from the beginning, and again it showed 7*5 paper, so this time I cancelled.

I went through every single printer setting screen I could find, all showed A4 paper, but I changed that to something else, then back again.

Started again, and this time 'Printer Settings' showed A4.

Does anyone have any idea how to select photos for "New Print Layout", and why 'Printer Settings' was set at 7*5?

Sorry for the long post, but this software drives me mad.

Though I must say that the printer does actually print the photos beautifully.