Options

Overkeen Dentist

Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Right so admittedly I avoided the dentist for a good number of years. There was no need to go as I never had any problems with my teeth. Then last year I bit a fork and cracked one of my front teeth.

So in I want to the dentist. He fixed that and took X - rays and noticed a bunch of other stuff that needed doing. So I ended up going in about 5 or 6 times and spending about 500 quid on treatment before he said that was all complete.

Phew.

Six month later (today) I go for a checkup. The dentist has left and now there is a new guy. He does the checkup then pulls up the photos from my x rays on the screen. He has not taken any x rays, so these are the ones from the first time. He points out three teeth that the first dentist presumably never noticed and tells me I need these fixed now, at another 300 quid.

I am a bit surprised the first dentist didn't appear to think there was anything left to do, and yet this new guy, using the exact same x rays reckons there is.

What do you reckon, is he over keen, or taking the piss? Can you get second opinions from other dentists?

P. S. He showed me the x rays and there is a really faint shading to the teeth he pointed out, but others had that too, and he obviously knew I had no idea what to look for - like when the guy at the garage shows you something under your car, and unless it's a dead pheasant, you've no idea whether it's supposed to be there or not.

Comments

• Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Yeah, well if it is a dead pheasant you wanna get that looked at.

Dentists are keen to do work - mine had a stint of insisting that a scale & polish was vital, when for 25 years before that it had only been needed once after a spell of mouth-breathing due to a heavy cold. I opted out, as I felt it was up to me what I had to,pay for. Sensible answer? Ask him exactly what the issue is, not just some shading but what problem is he expecting to resolve?
  • Options
    ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    Right so admittedly I avoided the dentist for a good number of years. There was no need to go as I never had any problems with my teeth. Then last year I bit a fork and cracked one of my front teeth.

So in I want to the dentist. He fixed that and took X - rays and noticed a bunch of other stuff that needed doing. So I ended up going in about 5 or 6 times and spending about 500 quid on treatment before he said that was all complete.

Phew.

Six month later (today) I go for a checkup. The dentist has left and now there is a new guy. He does the checkup then pulls up the photos from my x rays on the screen. He has not taken any x rays, so these are the ones from the first time. He points out three teeth that the first dentist presumably never noticed and tells me I need these fixed now, at another 300 quid.

I am a bit surprised the first dentist didn't appear to think there was anything left to do, and yet this new guy, using the exact same x rays reckons there is.

What do you reckon, is he over keen, or taking the piss? Can you get second opinions from other dentists?

P. S. He showed me the x rays and there is a really faint shading to the teeth he pointed out, but others had that too, and he obviously knew I had no idea what to look for - like when the guy at the garage shows you something under your car, and unless it's a dead pheasant, you've no idea whether it's supposed to be there or not.

What you should consider is....................

The first Dentist took the Xray's before he knew what treatment was needed, then on the result of the Xray's decided what treatment was needed and carried out the work and charged you loads.

The second Dentist can't possibly work from the first Xrays & treatment without taking new Xrays as the first Dentist might have done good work or shit work.

Dentist's don't tend to take completion Xrays unless root canal work is involved.

Think about it.:D 2nd Dentist needs new Xray's:D.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have spent over £700 on one bloody tooth with two different dentists over a 10 year period and the tooth still gives me problems. Capped, root canal through the cap, cap replacement, and other things, and it still hurt.

I have left it alone for the past few years and it's settled down. :confused:

I think I have received bad (dental) advice somewhere along the way. :cry: Money speaks.

Magic8Ball, if you feel you don't need the work done, just politely decline. :) That is what I do now.

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, sometimes dentists take x-rays and see something they think will need doing, but that isn't urgent and can wait six months to a year - especially if there are other more obvious and urgent things required. It's perfectly feasible that the old dentist felt this way about these three areas six months ago, but now that six months have passed and you've had the "main" stuff done, it's time this was done as well.

Did you ask the new dentist who examined you the same questions you've asked anonymous and non-qualified forum members here, who haven't examined you or seen your x-rays?!?;) I jest, but seriously, why wouldn't you ask him?
    Magic8Ball, if you feel you don't need the work done, just politely decline. :) That is what I do now.

If you think there's nothing wrong with your teeth, but are told there is, and you feel you know better than the dentist.......why do you bother going to the dentist in the first place then?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also OP, I should have added - dentists often don't/can't make treatment decisions based purely on x-rays. It can be a combination of the x-Ray appearance and how it looks to the naked eye. Again, feasible that the appearance of these areas has altered over the last few months and the new dentist is acting on that, plus the previously taken x-rays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Phew.

Are dentists open on a Sunday?
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dentist isn't eager enough.

I had a tooth that broke off. I told her that I thought I needed it capped. She said, 'oh no you just want a simple filling'. I disagreed and said a filling would just come out, and that I did need the tooth capped.

Anyway, she ignored me and filled the tooth. Three days later the filling fell out. I went to another dentist and he - guess what - capped the tooth. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Are dentists open on a Sunday?

This one is yeah, that's why I went there in the first place.

To answer the other person - he said you can't see anything with the naked eye, it's only visible as a sort of grey shading on three teeth in the x-ray. I just thought it was peculiar the original dentist didn't mention it at all.

The new guy was full of stories about how I should go private because a silver filling needs more drilling and might split the tooth.

I take the point about maybe the first guy was just putting off the less urgent work. Except all the previous work was classed as 'small' fillings, all three of these new ones require 'medium' fillings.

I only went for the checkup cos I thought after all that work last time it would all be fine, I was a bit surprised to find another 300 work now needing done, based purely on the exact same x rays that were taken last time.

Having worked in the NHS I am also aware that dentists are one of the worst perpetrators of NHS fraud!

I was just wondering if I was right to be a bit suspicious, hence the question on here, I am not looking for dental advice, more whether people reckon some dentists might like to do unnecessary work.

Maybe I will go somewhere else and see if they come up with the same thing, that would be interesting.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had x-ray on my last visit - was told there was a slight shadow on 1 on my teeth but nothing to worry about at the moment

when I go for my next check up I fully expect to be told I need work doing on that tooth it just wasn't necessary last time
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my dentist is fantastic, he charges £19 for a very thorough scale and polish and i go every three months, he also advised me to have a back tooth extracted which had bee filled and still gave me aggravation as opposed to expensive and maybe pointless root canal work

im going every 3 months, you cant put a price on oral hygiene
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one is yeah, that's why I went there in the first place.

To answer the other person - he said you can't see anything with the naked eye, it's only visible as a sort of grey shading on three teeth in the x-ray. I just thought it was peculiar the original dentist didn't mention it at all.

The new guy was full of stories about how I should go private because a silver filling needs more drilling and might split the tooth.

I take the point about maybe the first guy was just putting off the less urgent work. Except all the previous work was classed as 'small' fillings, all three of these new ones require 'medium' fillings.

I only went for the checkup cos I thought after all that work last time it would all be fine, I was a bit surprised to find another 300 work now needing done, based purely on the exact same x rays that were taken last time.

Having worked in the NHS I am also aware that dentists are one of the worst perpetrators of NHS fraud!

I was just wondering if I was right to be a bit suspicious, hence the question on here, I am not looking for dental advice, more whether people reckon some dentists might like to do unnecessary work.

Maybe I will go somewhere else and see if they come up with the same thing, that would be interesting.

I believe you are already paying for private treatment if you paid £500 on your previous visit + this treatment is £300.00

Maximum fee for a course of NHS treatment is £214.00

Band 1 course of treatment – £18.00
    This covers an examination, diagnosis (eg X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if needed, and application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant. If you require urgent care, even if your urgent treatment needs more than one appointment to complete, you will only need to pay one Band 1 charge.

Band 2 course of treatment – £49.00
    This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.

Band 3 course of treatment – £214.00
    This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures and bridges.
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I believe you are already paying for private treatment if you paid £500 on your previous visit + this treatment is £300.00

Maximum fee for a course of NHS treatment is £214.00

Band 1 course of treatment – £18.00
    This covers an examination, diagnosis (eg X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if needed, and application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant. If you require urgent care, even if your urgent treatment needs more than one appointment to complete, you will only need to pay one Band 1 charge.

Band 2 course of treatment – £49.00
    This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or if your dentist needs to take out one or more of your teeth.

Band 3 course of treatment – £214.00
    This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures and bridges.

That's just in England though isn't it?
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The work you've been quoted as need doing might be something the previous dentist had noticed but for whatever reason didn't think it was urgent and wanted to keep an eye on it. Ive had various problems with my teeth over the years, Ive only ever been to 2 dentists the first I left after 23 years because I moved address and my local one was more convenient. If you are unsure get a second opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    That's just in England though isn't it?

Bands 1,2 & 3 are cheaper in Wales Max for band 3 £177

England Scotland Wales fees.
    http://idhgroup.co.uk/patient-services/nhs-treatments-costs

NI fees
    http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/health-service-dental-charges
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If you think there's nothing wrong with your teeth, but are told there is, and you feel you know better than the dentist.......why do you bother going to the dentist in the first place then?:confused:

As I have already said, I have paid a fortune on one tooth and it was never completely right - so I have refused any further treatment on this same tooth. It's been fine for the past few years without all the very expensive treatment (that never worked)

So in my case the dentists did not know best. My new dentist tells me the tooth should be left alone (the previous treatments would never have worked 100%) so my earlier dentists clearly didn't advise me very well.

So, my advice to the OP stands. Seek a second opinion - if you're in any doubt, you are allowed to refuse any treatment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh boy 300 quid seems a bit steep i'd get a 2nd and 3rd opinion before doing anything. It could just be a scam
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have already said, I have paid a fortune on one tooth and it was never completely right - so I have refused any further treatment on this same tooth. It's been fine for the past few years without all the very expensive treatment (that never worked)

So in my case the dentists did not know best. My new dentist tells me the tooth should be left alone (the previous treatments would never have worked 100%) so my earlier dentists clearly didn't advise me very well.

So, my advice to the OP stands. Seek a second opinion - if you're in any doubt, you are allowed to refuse any treatment.

Sorry I thought you were talking in general terms - not just about that particular tooth.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dentist receptionist booked me in for a "scale and polish" (£25) despite my email saying I didn't want it. I saw my dentist and he agreed that my teeth were pristine. Since moving to Greece 4 years ago I haven't needed a clean. Must be the healthy diet! Unfortunately, due to breaks on the blooming hard bread crusts, I've had two caps fitted - but they were half the price I paid in the UK. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I have never been near a dentist since 2007, teeth do not appear to degrading, no pain, so no need to go. Hopefully it will stay that way.

If they are not hurting you and look ok, I would leave it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. My plan is now to go to a different dentist and see what they say needs doing. If they agree on the work fair enough. If they say nothing or come up with something totally different then I'll just not go to either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I thought you were talking in general terms - not just about that particular tooth.

I should have been clearer ... and probably shouldn't be basing my answer to the OP on my own experiences either. Not all dentists are like the ones I had. :o