Boxing Day away, 6 years in a row

Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When the 2012-13 fixtures came out earlier this week, my team, Swindon Town, are scheduled to play Leyton Orient away on Boxing Day, meaning that this would be the SIXTH successive year that we would be scheduled to have a Boxing Day away fixture (we were also away at Leyton Orient on Boxing Day in 2008). Is this a record for a consecutive number of years that a club has been scheduled to play away on Boxing Day? Plus for the fifth season in a row, our final League fixture is also away...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Seems harsh! Just bad luck i guess.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    I would contact the FL and point this out (to pass on to the fixture compiler) as Boxing Day fixtures are generally done manually to limit travelling and also be fair on the home/away fixture split.

On the flip side though you have probably been at home for most of the last 6 New Year fixtures?
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that is harsh

at least your not playing cov because we will smash you! :)

*please not above may be incorrect*
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Are Swindon paired with anyone in the fixture list?
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would contact the FL and point this out (to pass on to the fixture compiler) as Boxing Day fixtures are generally done manually to limit travelling and also be fair on the home/away fixture split.

On the flip side though you have probably been at home for most of the last 6 New Year fixtures?

Yes, but it would be nice to have a bit of balance of a Boxing Day home fixture and a New Years Day away fixture!
    Are Swindon paired with anyone in the fixture list?

No.
    whedon247 wrote: »
    that is harsh

at least your not playing cov because we will smash you! :)

*please not above may be incorrect*

So are you looking forward to life in League 1 then? There'll be lots of new grounds for you and your fellow CCFC fans to visit. In a way, that's one of the benefits of relegation as you'll get loads going to away games, so people can top their "grounds visited" portfolio. It happened with us last season; we had four-figure followings at places like Burton, Aldershot, Gillingham and Bradford and I'm sure you'll take plenty of four-figure followings to most of the League 1 grounds this coming season. Good luck!
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say Swindon should beat Leyton Orient in League One this season but hopely Swindon will't beat Oldham this Season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the 2013-14 season fixtures have come out, time to bump this thread...

Make that 7, yes SEVEN years in a row Swindon have been scheduled to be away on Boxing Day:mad:::(

Is there any other league club out there who have not had a scheduled home Boxing Day fixture since 2006?:confused:
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is some record - it is very harsh .
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spurs haven't been at home on Boxing Day since 2008. But we are home this season though.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always amazes me that the huge premier league clubs always seem to have 2 of the 3 Christmas period games at home. Happens an awful lot if not every year I'm sure.

Cue someone posting fixture lists of the last 15 years to prove I'm a paranoid git ;)
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Spurs haven't been at home on Boxing Day since 2008. But we are home this season though.

Against Stoke, who have two away games at opposite ends of the country within 48 hours of each other.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notts County haven't played at home on Boxing Day since 2007, though we were meant to be at home on Boxing Day in both 2009 and 2010 but both years our games were called off due to the weather
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to some Geordie mates in the pub the last time Newcastle had a home league fixture on Boxing Day was 2001!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    According to some Geordie mates in the pub the last time Newcastle had a home league fixture on Boxing Day was 2001!

They had a home game against Man City on Boxing Day 2010.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had a home game against Man City on Boxing Day 2010.

I must admonish my numerically dyslexic friends

But it was 9 years after the last one still!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    But it was 9 years after the last one still!

That's really harsh on Newcastle to have that many away Boxing Day games in a row.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's really harsh on Newcastle to have that many away Boxing Day games in a row.

I can only assume that as a result Sunderland had 9 in a row. Not sure how fixture computers work but I assume Newcastle and Sunderland are both paired even when not in the same division (at Northumbria Police request)
  • welsh_petewelsh_pete Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look on the bright side; you won't be in Swindon on Boxing Day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the next round of fixtures for the 92 PL/FL clubs are on Boxing Day, I'd thought I'll bump this thread...

So are there any other clubs out there (besides Swindon) who have not had a scheduled home Boxing Day fixture since 2006 or have been away on Boxing Day for 7 years or more previously?
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but it would be nice to have a bit of balance of a Boxing Day home fixture and a New Years Day away fixture!

No.

So are you looking forward to life in League 1 then? There'll be lots of new grounds for you and your fellow CCFC fans to visit. In a way, that's one of the benefits of relegation as you'll get loads going to away games, so people can top their "grounds visited" portfolio. It happened with us last season; we had four-figure followings at places like Burton, Aldershot, Gillingham and Bradford and I'm sure you'll take plenty of four-figure followings to most of the League 1 grounds this coming season. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Good point, if County are relegated this season then I will enjoy the away days in League Two next year