Options

Steve Brookstein book

Comments

• Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drakhen wrote: »
    It's a shame that a more recent contestant on the show didn't contribute to the book or write their own. I'm sure the stuff that goes on is much worse now than Steve's time. The treatment of Janet Devlin in particular left a bad taste in my mouth.

Steve has already suffered the damage done by the X Factor Mafia. He has nothing to lose. However, these poor young kids who have been targeted are probably terrified of any fallout. Their careers may be in jeopardy.

They are all collaborating and feeding off each other. If you do this and I can ensure that, etc.

My gripe is this horrendous culture that has evolved. We are allowing the wrong message to go out to young people. X Factor now is aimed at the very young, who are more easily brainwashed.

Exactly the same tactics, 'Get em while their young', employed by a more sinister dictator.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care if Steve's a nice person or not to be honest. I'm not reading the book to gain sympathy for him, but to get an insider's view on the X-Factor
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it could have done with a bit more proof reading. Some of the sentence structures are a bit strange and in one paragraph he talks about having his suspicions "confounded" rather than "confirmed". I am only about 35% of the way into it and I haven't really learnt anything yet that I didn't already know (or could have assumed) other than the episode with Sinitta and Jackie St Clair. I am finding the writing style a little irritating though - but that could be just me :D

I am more interested in what happens post XF than what happened on the show.
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocking proof reading by the publishers if there are grammatical errors from someone who is not an English Language graduate (is he?).

I am busy, but will download and read at the weekend hopefully. In fairness, you have to read before you can critique.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I think it could have done with a bit more proof reading. Some of the sentence structures are a bit strange and in one paragraph he talks about having his suspicions "confounded" rather than "confirmed". I am only about 35% of the way into it and I haven't really learnt anything yet that I didn't already know (or could have assumed) other than the episode with Sinitta and Jackie St Clair. I am finding the writing style a little irritating though - but that could be just me :D

I am more interested in what happens post XF than what happened on the show.
    I was like dammmmnnn! It was like something out of a bad film :o:D

It's the only bug bear I have about the book, the grammar is awful; very poor sentence construction. :( Apart from that, it's good.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it could have done with a bit more proof reading. Some of the sentence structures are a bit strange

I am finding the writing style a little irritating though - but that could be just me :D

No, it's not just you, I've only just started reading and I agree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    The book is published as a form of self publishing with Matador.

It is not like 'real' publishers hence layout/ grammar etc. can be a bit haywire.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he sent Max a copy at the nick! :D
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linjo wrote: »
    The book is published as a form of self publishing with Matador.

It is not like 'real' publishers hence layout/ grammar etc. can be a bit haywire.

Still it's number 1 in iBooks biographies not bad for no press coverage
  • Options
    violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

The lack of press coverage when the book is No 1 proves everything that Steve wrote :)
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    When I say he was difficult, I mean he was no puppet, and would not give in to the bullying. It is as if Cowell went into overdrive with demonstrating what he could and would to to anyone who dared not show slavish obedience to him. He really is a vile human being, and he is lucky him and Senitta and another woman were not exposed (no pun intended) for their disgusting stunt in the dressing room, Steve could have taken that further.

I would like to know more about this. What happened here exactly??
    drakhen wrote: »
    It's a shame that a more recent contestant on the show didn't contribute to the book or write their own. I'm sure the stuff that goes on is much worse now than Steve's time. The treatment of Janet Devlin in particular left a bad taste in my mouth.

I can't remember that far back. What happened with Janet apart from being booted off?
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I clicked on the link but it thread must of been taken off what did it say?-thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I clicked on the link but it thread must of been taken off what did it say?-thanks
    Me too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    greenyone wrote: »
    The lack of press coverage when the book is No 1 proves everything that Steve wrote :)
    Perhaps the Mirror might have something soon?
    Tony Horne, the ghost writer tweeted Ian Hyland their TV critic:
    @HorneyMedia 2h2 hours ago
    what does my favourite tv critic @HylandIan say about @stevebrookstein book...?

and Ian Hyland replied:

Ian Hyland
    @HylandIan
    @HorneyMedia @stevebrookstein I was going to go with "The hardback version of this book has a spine. Unlike many of the people in it."

:D
  • Options
    violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too :)

Hello Steve :)

You click on your profile and shows all your posts that you talk about yourself STEVE for years.

Either you are STEVE or his wife.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello Steve :)

You click on your profile and shows all your posts that you talk about yourself STEVE for years.

Either you are STEVE or his wife.
    Or a fan? (Since 2004!)
    You are taking the conspiracy theories too far!
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The expose.

The truth finally comes out.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Brookstein as the 1st winner, is pretty big deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member

It is EXCELLENT for no press/tv coverage.

And the Amazon kindle price has now dropped to £3.59 to attract more sales. :D:D:D

For those who have read the book - go to Amazon and leave a review. The more star reviews a book/kindle book gets on Amazon & Amazon kindle, the higher up the rankings it gets pushed.

(And before anyone asks :D No I'm not connected to the book at all. I'm not a huge Steve fan, I can take or leave him but I do hate manipulation by the Clifford/Cowell powerhouse that has taken over the music/entertainment industry these last years.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This seems to be a bit of a promotion thread...we have a lot of, 'it's a great book' but when someone asks about a specific reference in said book, no one replies.

So, for those of you asking about the 'dressing room' incident, it is referenced in this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1339617/Simon-Cowells-like-Mafia-boss-warns-X-Factor-winner-Steve-Brookstein.html

Hardly surprising from a man who talks about wanting threesomes on live TV. It is a sad reflection of British culture that a man so crude and uncouth is lauded as the saviour of TV in this country.

That said, Steve's ghost writer demonstrates a shocking grasp of the English language on twitter, he really should proof his tweets to help promote the book.

Oh, and all TV programs are carefully constructed to position the viewer. That's how the media works. Nothing is the truth, only a version of it.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I can't remember that far back. What happened with Janet apart from being booted off?

There's a decent article on Sofabet about Janet Devlin's treatment on the show. Some of it is a bit tin-foil hat, which I don't buy into. I always remember when she got the boot how Louis and Tulisa made a point of saying they were saving Misha as she could sell records and sell out arenas. I thought it was unnecessarily mean.

I started reading Steve's book. My initial thoughts are that whether intentionally or not, it doesn't paint a rose-tinted picture of him, which I actually like. At times he comes across as bad-tempered and difficult. I was surprised how vicious Sharon Osborne and her minions were to him. I always thought her rant in the final was the usual X-Factor panto. The relationship between the judges definitely seemed a lot more competitive back then, whereas Cheryl and Mel B are clearly Simon's employees.

The incident with Sinitta and Simon's other girlfriend is so bizarre I almost don't believe it. I'm just very surprised that Sinitta would be willing to do something that I would find degrading. Apart from that, there is nothing in the book so far that I find particularly shocking. It's still an entertaining read though and flows well despite the lack of proof-reading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This seems to be a bit of a promotion thread...we have a lot of, 'it's a great book' but when someone asks about a specific reference in said book, no one replies.

So, for those of you asking about the 'dressing room' incident, it is referenced in this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1339617/Simon-Cowells-like-Mafia-boss-warns-X-Factor-winner-Steve-Brookstein.html

Lol because everyone who's read it and raves about it has bought it... to quote from it/give things away is a bit like pirating music don't you think? It's £3.59 on Kindle now... people need to buy it! :D

Excellent example of the whole 'media in on it' thing- look at the title of that article:
    "Simon Cowell's like a Mafia boss - fall out of favour and you're doomed,' warns first X Factor winner Steve Brookstein (who now sings in coffee bars)"

Oh... and re the dressing room incident and Jackie and Sinitta... if only it were just his face they were concentrating on... read the book! ;-) :o
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if you don't want to buy a copy you can always enter the competition Steve is running :D

https://twitter.com/stevebrookstein/status/537189326724276224/photo/1
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hardly surprising from a man who talks about wanting threesomes on live TV. It is a sad reflection of British culture that a man so crude and uncouth is lauded as the saviour of TV in this country.

Thanks for the link.

I expected it to be something really shocking and bad, but was surprised when it was just this:
    On the night of the final, Simon’s *mentoring allegedly took a bizarre turn. ‘About an hour before the show was going out live, I was summoned to Cowell’s dressing room where he was sitting with his former girlfriends Sinitta and Jackie St Clair,’ claims Brookstein.

‘They both came over and started flirting with me and stroking my face. To them it was a joke, but it made me uncomfortable. I said: “What are you doing?” Simon was just grinning, and said: “I thought you needed to relax”. It was really odd. I said “I don’t want this,” and walked out.’

A very strange thing for Cowell to instruct his ex-gf's to do. What was the point of it all? It's just very very odd.