Options

Steve Brookstein book

Comments

• Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Rangermick wrote: »
    I didn't like the idea of all those lemmings dying in that famous piece of film, throwing themselves off the cliff, but it was still fascinating to watch!

Even that film (if it's the one you're talking about) got "X-Factored":

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the one in The Metro was better
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting article in terms of 'the artist' as a pained paranoid dolt! :o:blush:

I thought Steve should have been thrown off the show for turning up drunk but then it all goes to make him more interesting. He had a great voice but tbh he destroyed his own career.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Brookstein @stevebrookstein · 21m 21 minutes ago
    The Guardian claim that the reason I was "dropped" in 2005 was probably more to do with my twitter behaviour in 2010. I better blog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Steve Brookstein @stevebrookstein · 21m 21 minutes ago
    The Guardian claim that the reason I was "dropped" in 2005 was probably more to do with my twitter behaviour in 2010. I better blog.

Maybe Simon can see into the future
  • Options
    lizzeylizzey Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Interesting article in terms of 'the artist' as a pained paranoid dolt! :o:blush:

I thought Steve should have been thrown off the show for turning up drunk but then it all goes to make him more interesting. He had a great voice but tbh he destroyed his own career.

Steve was never drunk on x .Alittle while ago some one said'he will soon lose his voice the way he smokes.
    So not drunk never smoked .
  • Options
    violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve entered never thinking he'd win, he just wanted more exposure for more and bigger gigs. He noticed a few of the finalists (including him) were getting more exposure and was embarrassed by it. His book and account of his time on the XF highlights the manipulation of the singers and the audience by Cowell/the show.

He signed up for a singing contest not to be attacked personally and what happened during and after the show was disgraceful so why shouldn't they all be held accountable, Cowell/Syco/XF.

Hi Steve looks like you been online since I posted the interview.

You have been a busy bee on twitter.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Maybe Simon can see into the future

He probably could regarding Steve.

I see Steve is getting into a ruck now with the guardian journalist who interviewed him on twitter.

Why does he always play the moaner?

I think for his own piece of mind he should try and move on instead of regurgitating painful memories of the X factor.
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It soooo isn't, just a fan from the very first series. :) I didn't even start this thread- just came on to comment!
    Steve's wife is Eileen Hunter, a very beautiful, busy, talented jazz musician and singer who doesn't do computers and the net much lol.
    http://www.eileenhunter.co.uk/#/biography
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eileen-Hunter/100795568400?ref=ts

Blatant.:D this is a joke right?

I find it a bit ironic. Calling people manipulative, whilst clearly doing exactly the same. Lol!!:D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably could regarding Steve.

I see Steve is getting into a ruck now with the guardian journalist who interviewed him on twitter.

Why does he always play the moaner?

I think for his own piece of mind he should try and move on instead of regurgitating painful memories of the X factor.

If he didn't constantly get "bad" press by the tabloids he probably would
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even that film (if it's the one you're talking about) got "X-Factored":

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

Most mass suicides are fabrications. Not much incentive really!
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of interest in this 'bitter has-been' it seems!
    No.1 in the Amazon pre-sale chart, Waterstones are stocking it- available on Kindle and i-tunes too. My hardback is on order but I downloaded a free sample from the Kindle app for Samsung and it's a really good read.
    A friend has already received and read her copy and is raving about it with lots of insider stuff that would never have come out if he hadn't written the book himself.
    On his facebook page Steve said "I don't want to change the world, just the story" and I think he can safely say mission accomplished.
    (£4.95 on Kindle... go on... you know you want to!)
    #GettingOverTheX

Now that explains why Herr Scowell and his little subservient weazle were reacting on Xtra Factor. On the defence, pot shot at Steve Brookstein and reminding the public of the crappy artists that have come from the show that they have had to force feed the public with. 1 D and Olly Murs. :D
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed Louis bringing up Steve during Xtra Factor... Simon told him to leave Steve alone
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How contrived was that. Sara Jane randomly asking about horrors of contestants.

First time Cowell has been on the defensive, now his perv of a PR guru is in jail and can't deal with it for him. Steve has hit a nerve, good for him for exposing the dishonesty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I noticed Louis bringing up Steve during Xtra Factor... Simon told him to leave Steve alone

That mention of SB by Louis was him giving the topic of the pre-show meeting/instruction away and Herr Scowell was not too pleased. The so-called member of the public plant to ask about Herr Scowell's expectations of an employee? The unequivocal answer was "loyalty".

How did these morons get to the position of having so much influence over the gullible public?
  • Options
    Cat-Cat- Posts: 7,612
    Forum Member
    Leon got royally shafted by Cowell because the public .vote didnt go to Rhydian.

He's a smarmy undermining rurhless..........?????

Glad to hear somebody is prepared to go up against the arrogant asshole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat- wrote: »
    Leon got royally shafted by Cowell because the public .vote didnt go to Rhydian.

He's a smarmy undermining rurhless..........?????

Glad to hear somebody is prepared to go up against the arrogant asshole.

Feel very sorry for Leon. He was young and shy and didn't have the wherewithal to withstand such a corrupt, cold, callous, controlling regime with a power hungry egomaniac dictating outcomes and his puppets.

I don't think SB can have found it easy but he is having a fight back.

Herr Scowell expects loyalty from his employees. He is lucky to have had very little **** thrown back at him.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not defending Cowell, yes he has his favourites etc but its all about shifting records if you're given a contract.

Leon's album only sold 140k
    Joe's 90k at the time
    Matt Cardle did 260k
    James Arthur did 240k whilst being a bell end
    They were all dropped as these were not impressive sales for someone who just won a big contest. They were all given additional singles to see if the sales situtation improved but it didnt that includes Someone Wake Me Up, Starlight, Amazing, Get Down, Creative etc

All these people got album campaigns the public just didnt buy the record. Sam Bailey didnt sell enough of her album this year either shes a winner she should have been on platinum easily by now shes lucky theyve given her a lifeline with this XMas CD and performance.
    Now Alexandra Burke sold 700k, kept on next CD 40k dropped
    Leona sold 3m, 800m kept on came back with Glass heart flopped and so did XMas CD i doubt her new release on Universal will fare much better same with Cher Llloyd.
    Even if an act he absolutely hates sells records and lots of them he will make them a priority.
    Yes he did back 1D, but if they hadnt sold all those records day 1 they never would have got any further investment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not defending Cowell, yes he has his favourites etc but its all about shifting records if you're given a contract.

Joe's 90k at the time
    Matt Cardle did 260k
    They were all dropped as these were not impressive sales for someone who just won a big contest. They were all given additional singles to see if the sales situtation improved but it didnt that includes Someone Wake Me Up, Starlight, Amazing, Get Down, Creative etc

All these people got album campaigns the public just didnt buy the record. Sam Bailey didnt sell enough of her album this year either shes a winner she should have been on platinum easily by now shes lucky theyve given her a lifeline with this XMas CD and performance.
    Leona sold 3m, 800m kept on came back with Glass heart flopped and so did XMas CD i doubt her new release on Universal will fare much better same with Cher Llloyd.
    Even if an act he absolutely hates sells records and lots of them he will make them a priority.
    Yes he did back 1D, but if they hadnt sold all those records day 1 they never would have got any further investment.

I don't believe democratically elected Governments when they come up with figures.

Sales are all based on promotion and all of these acts have had differing levels of input and promotion geared towards a particular demograph. Nothing to do with the artists. More to do with failure of management and strategic marketing.

Scowell markets those who he is comfortable with. The YES people. There are a lot of dirty tricks in place for winners not to win the battle of record sales.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can argue that Joe, Leon and Matt's records would have sold better if they had the full backing of SCowell and not had other acts prioritised over them. Joe didn't get anywhere near the support that Olly Murs did and the same with Matt and One Direction. The same thing will happen to Andrea if he manages to win instead of Fleur.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Joe's 90k at the time
    Matt Cardle did 260k

I actually think leona's Xmas cd is one of the best out there.

Definitely worth a listen if anyone hasn't :)
  • Options
    2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished reading the book. Steve seemed to be his own worst enemy. Why did he refuse to do so many things that would have been favourable to him and make him more money. His arrogance was astounding and the way he spoke to people. He came across really unpleasant IMO.
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you've posted that because I agree, I finished the book a few days ago and I found Steve to come across dislikable, disagreeable and bitter.

I can't even say he was treated 'badly' - rudely maybe, as it was clear when he was not going to be a success, he was dropped like a hot rock. He seems to have spent the last 10 years just not being able to accept this fact. He doesn't help his case with all the 'I was invited to support Lionel Ritchie. LIONEL RITCHIE! I didn't *really* need the X Factor' type spiel.

He mentions throughout the book that he had 6 million votes and he WON and it's so unfair, etc, but he moans at every given situation - he was invited to Simon Cowell's for a pre final meal, he didn't want to go, he didn't have a clean shirt, when he got there it was a photo op with microwaved food - well, that's TV Steve. It's hardly a big revelation or scandal. He seems so caught up on the minor made for TV stuff - I mean - does anyone think that Simon stayed longer than 10 minutes with Stevi at the Harvester!?

He seems to revel in the fact Max Clifford has been jailed, and glad as we all are that Max is paying for his crimes Steve seems to think it's some kind of personal retribution.

He repeatedly states he's not bitter, that anyone who calls him bitter is falling for the 'narrative' but you only have to read his Twitter to see he IS a very bitter man - he attacks anyone who criticises him (he no doubt is reading this), he rubs his hands with glee at any other XF contestant's failure, or a drop in the voting or viewing figures - he thinks that the 'mainstream media' have a conspiracy against him (either to ignore him or only follow 'the narrative' - which he says so often I feel it should have it's own little theme tune), despite the fact he's been mentioned in a number of papers and websites, albeit in a negative light.

He comes over as very childish and I didn't feel the book really delivered on the shock factor at all, it was more like one 'hard done by' man finding every reason to be right whilst the evil powers that be knock him back.

As much as he came over badly I do hope that for his sake he can put it behind him because to be consumed like this can't be healthy.
  • Options
    2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on @RealityRocks When I was reading the offers that he had and some publicity shots etc, I was thinking 'oh I'd like to see what happened there' only to read that he refused them. The book would have been alot better if he had actually done them! And that set the tone really. Everytime throughout the book was refusal after refusal, paranoia after paranoia.
    What I did actually find amusing was the fact that I actually felt sorry for Simon Cowell!! No one has ever made me have sympathy for that man!
    There really was NO pleasing him.
    Having said all that, I do think he's a great singer. But his ego got the better of him.