Options

Being passed something expensive to hold

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
I was in my local photo shop last weekend and they had a used lens that they were putting to one side for selling to a collector. They said 'try it on your camera and have a play' so there I was fitting nearly £3,000 of lens (the size of a cricket ball) to my camera for a few photos. I felt is that I was going to drop it - my worst fear. I passed it back after a few photos and thought about how something small and fragile is worth as much as a decent car.

Same as when another camera shop owner passed me a camera and lens and said to try it. Only when I was holding it he said 'careful, that is 15 grands worth there'.

Does holding high value items stress you or can you just relax and mess about with them?

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What lens was it?
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I was in my local photo shop last weekend and they had a used lens that they were putting to one side for selling to a collector. They said 'try it on your camera and have a play' so there I was fitting nearly £3,000 of lens (the size of a cricket ball) to my camera for a few photos. I felt is that I was going to drop it - my worst fear. I passed it back after a few photos and thought about how something small and fragile is worth as much as a decent car.

Same as when another camera shop owner passed me a camera and lens and said to try it. Only when I was holding it he said 'careful, that is 15 grands worth there'.

Does holding high value items stress you or can you just relax and mess about with them?

I feel the same is people ask to me to hold fragile items of a sentimental value. I go into panic mode, I don't know why.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so much an item but certainly of high value - babies. Stresses me right out when I'm holding one. OMG WHAT IF I DROP IT?! is all that consumes my mind.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    What lens was it?

Noct Nikkor http://www.noct-nikkor.com/
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you've handled paintings by Monet, Picasso and the like, as I have, then it puts objects worth a few thou in perspective. One of my lenses is listed at 1.5 grand so maybe I'm kinda used to it. Just don't try to hand me a baby.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I have to admit I've never felt this. Then again I don't consider myself particularly clumsy, I very rarely drop things.

Obviously holding a newborn baby is different to expensive items, I don't panic but I am VERY aware of their safety, how I hold them, is their head supported etc.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow, I bet it takes awesum cat picturez
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just try not to be this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsL6wNP_oJo
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL :D That's hilarious. :D
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    Not so much an item but certainly of high value - babies. Stresses me right out when I'm holding one. OMG WHAT IF I DROP IT?! is all that consumes my mind.

It's one part of your brain competing with another. The part that imagines things, and the part that performs tasks. Once you've held a baby for a while the feeling wears off.

Like the 'Speak now or forever hold your peace' moment at weddings, I used to feel a rush and prickle of sweat, just because of what might happen.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »

When you walk on a pavement, you're only supported by a foot's worth of concrete beneath you. Yet some freaks feel different about their entire feet equally being supported by concrete many floors up on a ledge. Logically, there should be no fear, but humanly, there is.

Same with dropping or damaging things. Remember the episode of Top Gear a few years ago when they borrowed one of Chris Evans's extremely expensive cars and pretended a learner driver had to pass it on a narrow street? There was very real tension for many viewers, even though passing an old banger wouldn't have resulted in a scratch either. Just because of its value, viewers worried.